newbe with questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunt2001

I was givin a 1933-34 ford frame that someone chopped horns off and boxed in.So i decided to use a little trial and error and with the awesome bunch of guys and builds on here as motivation. My plan is to build a bobber truck of some sort, this build is still in the planning stages.I am a union boilermaker by trade so i weld for a living and love it. 1st question is where is the cheapest place to buy like steering components,front axle etc? 2nd question a friend of mine gave me a 1972 f100 with a 390 in it that runs and drives, what parts besides engine and tranny would possibly work on my build before i send body to scrapper.I plan on keeping tailgate also i love the bobbers that drag soda cans driving down the road.The lower the better without using airbags.I honestly dont care if it drives like a logwagon lol.Please help guys......yesterday i went to this car show and was trying to talk too this goon that had a 33 coupe.I was aasking him questions about body and frame and he literally treated me and my son like garbage so next year i want to park a rusty pile of parts next to his 9000.00 paintjob.[;)

I think the best place is swap meets, ask around where a good junkyard close might have, speedway,jegs,summit, ask around here some guys have extra parts. I dont know were you are located but a good place is right here.:rolleyes:

Snag the 9 inch from that truck. Keep the driveshaft to shorten. Lots of other miscellaneous items too.

Otherwise - forget about that guy and forget about trying to build something to tick him off. That's how we wind up with garbage "shock rods". Build something that you and your son can be proud of. Not only that, but you don't want it to ride like a logwagon. It's uncomfortable and unsafe. Build yourself something to DRIVE. That's what it's all about. It can be done. Lots to learn here...

Snag the 9 inch from that truck. Keep the driveshaft to shorten. Lots of other miscellaneous items too.

Otherwise - forget about that guy and forget about trying to build something to tick him off. That's how we wind up with garbage "shock rods". Build something that you and your son can be proud of. Not only that, but you don't want it to ride like a logwagon. It's uncomfortable and unsafe. Build yourself something to DRIVE. That's what it's all about. It can be done. Lots to learn here...
I second this.
There's nothing worse than a POS after the new wears off :(

safe

if your'e son and you are gonna be driving the rod around anywhere MAKE IT SAFE:D

l agree, the shock rod thing is usually a waste of time and talent. after "the statement" ya want to make wears off, it is not something ya drive often or use much.

build a toy to enjoy, cruise, show off and in the end by doing this, not only will you have something fun, you will be driving it long after mr.$9000 paint job is just a memory.

Later :cool:

No by all means it will be 100% safe thats one thing that have learned by lurking here for a few years now. I would never skip on anything that will ever get anyone hurt.And proportions is a priority also, i am sorry some of you may took what i said wrong. I appreciate all of your insight ,You all have been doing this for years. Rear end will be taken from the truck also. Do u think the steering column will be of use as well as the hubs brakes and such?

parts

steering column and a lot of other stuff you will find that later in the build ya hung on to you may need, if you have the room, put the truck in "storage" and use every thing ya can, then scrap it when the project's done.

glad on the making it safe thing:D

Later :cool:

If you have a place to put it I would keep that doner truck for a while,
no telling what you may use!! With what you say you have, a usable cab
would be the next thing to hunt down!! Keep us posted and Good Luck!!

If you have a place to keep a donor vehicle, it can save you a lot of money. Even the smallest thing you run to the parts store for is $10 and believe me I've spent a small fortune this summer $10-$20 at a time. Things like relays, bolts, vacuum tubing, wire connectors ect.

I agree that you listed 2 bad reasons to build a car. Why build something you can't enjoy driving? And just to show off some guy who was rude to you? Just make some yard art and call it good.

If you have a place to keep a donor vehicle, it can save you a lot of money. Even the smallest thing you run to the parts store for is $10 and believe me I've spent a small fortune this summer $10-$20 at a time. Things like relays, bolts, vacuum tubing, wire connectors ect.

I agree that you listed 2 bad reasons to build a car. Why build something you can't enjoy driving? And just to show off some guy who was rude to you? Just make some yard art and call it good.

That was not my intention by no means. I am building it because i want one to help get my 2 sons into cars.And to save some old metal.I have been a car fanatic for 15 years and enjoy welding and fabricating. I mentioned the ass was just more reason for me to build a car to show that dude u dont have to spend 50,000 $ to have a sweet rod.
I think its rediculous when as car guy's we should be about preserving the culture, not to act like a@@hole because we think we are better than anyone else. My wife will not let me have yard art lol.....we live in town.
AGAIN my intentions are not to impress anyone or to build a pile of junk just to do it. I am a ypounger generation gear head, and i love old american steel.My build will be done right with no corners cut, and safety and reliability a #1 priority. I would not build anything unsafe and then put my wife or children in period.......................
Do all of you guys mig or is it ok to stick weld the frame together using 7018 rod?

As stated earlier...keep the donor as long as you can. You'll be surprised at how many parts you can use off of it. Ask questions..this place is a gold mine of information and probably the greatest bunch of people you'll ever find. Above all else, build it safe.
The reason I find some people with mega buck cars are rude when you ask them questions is that they didn't actually build the ride even though they want you to believe they did !!!! Good luck with your project.

Yes thats what i believe also.................I think ipossibly caught the guy off guard by commentiing on the frame and body.I should of commented on the fact that there was a rediculous amount of perosity in his frame weld's[;)

Latest posts

Back