next project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im all for running the hood too, im hoping to run mine.. but i have some concerns about proportions as it sounds like you do to.. best solution is to mock it up and just look at it for a while.. i like to do this... put some music on and just look for 10 min or so from different angles.. it also drives my dad nuts.. and thats always fun.. haha

Go Preaher Go. You're moving right along and it's good to see.

By the way, I believe your air cleaner probably began it's life on a mid 50's Plymouth.

i wondered who'd win the contest on the air cleaner!!:D:D
should have known, mr. gastrick stays on top of his game--

the truth of the matter is i wasn't 100% sure, but was thinking it came off of an old 56 plymouth savoy i junked out a while back.....also have its hood ornament to incorperate into this build:p

thanks everybody for the comments!
HRP

The ole Ford is looking good HRP! Nobody knows the money issues better than I do so I get where your coming from regarding the build. COMPLETE FRUSTRATION doesn't even come close to how I've been feeling about my project lately. Hang in there man. At least your this far and so darn close to rolling down the road. All I can do is just take the tarp off and sit in my cab and make loud motor sounds!!! :mad: By the way, your welcome for the earlier picture.

I think you made a good choice with the grill too. Keep up the good work. Your almost there.

Looking great HRP!! You accomplished alot in a short time! Keep up the great work because we are all waiting to see this thing on the road!:D

well i got a little to report.....used the full exhaust system that was removed in the trans am makeover.....
redid a little of my radiator support to accomadate the old grill i'm working with...
thinking about giving the truck a split-personality, the thought now is maybe a hood/grill combo AND a grill that can go all alone, removing only a few bolts and swapping it out.....the reason? I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND!!:confused:

hoping to make a parts run to a local "junk yard" to get some stuff for my buddy's 69 f-100, maybe find some stuff for the 52 as well

*brakes
*radius rods
*finish steering
*wiring/lites
i keep finishing up stuff-but the list doesn't get any shorter!:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 52 006.JPG
    52 006.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 52 007.JPG
    52 007.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 52 008.JPG
    52 008.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 52 009.JPG
    52 009.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 52 010.JPG
    52 010.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 74
Just my take on it - cut that grill down some Preacher if thats the one your gonna use. really cool grill, but it'll look a whole lot better (more proportionate) if it isn't so tall.

Thunder

yep, it's jut hangin there for pic-purposes.....and must be lowered at least another inch or two and pulled together for more shape.....but i'm still not sold on it :eek:
hoping something will "fall into place" or another bit of inspiration comes along....:rolleyes:;)

lookin good, i think a full exhaust is in my future too.. well maybe headers with cut offs.. just in case.. haha

Just my take on it - cut that grill down some Preacher if thats the one your gonna use. really cool grill, but it'll look a whole lot better (more proportionate) if it isn't so tall.

Thunder

If you are gonna make it shorter, make it even narrower at the same time. I have a feeling it is going to look kinda stubby if you take much off of the bottom.

I have had a revelation

i have seen an old ford 1 1/2 ton truck, about a 41 model and got some inspiration...
i'm thinkin' now narrow the hood at the front with a pie-cut on each side of the center-body line....(narrowing the front to radiator width)
build a grill with small steel tubing and sheet metal -it may resemble the 41 truck i saw or not - but i'm almost certain that i'm gonna try it--
the grill bars will be vertical attaching to a piece of sheet metal cut/formed to fit the leading edge of the hood--maybe give it a more "pointy" look than the flat wide look i've got goin on now.....

thanks guys-i love bouncin ideas around...

i'm goin to the shop today:D:D
HRP

Very cool build so far, HP! Just read through the whole thing.

Looks like you're getting very close! I look forward to these last few updates. After this, it's just "photoshoot" updates... which are cool too... :D

I really like the grill! I want to do a tractor grill on mine and keep the hood also.
Preacher, there's a sermon in being able to take a bunch of stuff nobody else wants and turning it into something cool. :)

thanks guy for the comments...... i thought the grill was o.k. but it has never really was "exactly" what i had in mind.....still thinking of the split personallity thing --a grill for no hood, and a grill/hood to use together...
the grill hood thing is being pondered/piddled with now..as i whittled out the hood this a.m. and narrowed it up about 3-4" thinking of using this for an idea/reference....

Attachments

• 1940 ford.jpg
    1940 ford.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 1941.jpg
    1941.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 60
i have seen an old ford 1 1/2 ton truck, about a 41 model and got some inspiration...
i'm thinkin' now narrow the hood at the front with a pie-cut on each side of the center-body line....(narrowing the front to radiator width)
build a grill with small steel tubing and sheet metal -it may resemble the 41 truck i saw or not - but i'm almost certain that i'm gonna try it--
the grill bars will be vertical attaching to a piece of sheet metal cut/formed to fit the leading edge of the hood--maybe give it a more "pointy" look than the flat wide look i've got goin on now.....

thanks guys-i love bouncin ideas around...

i'm goin to the shop today:D:D
HRP

YEAH...YEAH...:cool:

Those old '41 heavies looked COOL!!! GO FOR IT!

I LOVE how people think outside of the box here!
Regards,
Shea:)

Great work HRP - This truck is a lot like mine what with the olds power and vintage (mine's a '50). That air cleaner is really great, a nice touch.

Latest posts

Back