next project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks again guys for the kind words....have had some issues this past week w/computer @home--monitor is now junk:mad:...(borrowed a computer this morn to find out what's been goin on here--can you say addicted to RRR)

and to top it all off the 52 tried to eat my left ring finger the other day-but luckily it only wound up getting about 1/2 of my finger nail:eek:
HRP

the 52 tried to eat my left ring finger the other day-but luckily it only wound up getting about 1/2 of my finger nail:eek:
HRP

Shows you been doing somthin. Ya ain't noboddy unless ya got a stump--or disfigured or only got half ya teeth or one ear. Ya gotta limp or somthin just to show ya been there..

The hood deal is great--it makes these rides real all weather transportation. About the grill--I've seen big electric conduit joints bent to make the edges and corners of a grill. --like 3" thin wall pipe- they bend smooth like mandril bent stuff--not like muffler pipe-- and the radius looks better than square edges. You can get some of the stuff from commercial electrical suppliers for pretty reasonable if you have the connections. Lots of comercial 'lectricians have big benders too..

Keep on going--looking good.

Get more bandaids--or duct tape and shop towels.

PA41

PA41

thanks again guys for the kind words....have had some issues this past week w/computer @home--monitor is now junk:mad:...(borrowed a computer this morn to find out what's been goin on here--can you say addicted to RRR)

and to top it all off the 52 tried to eat my left ring finger the other day-but luckily it only wound up getting about 1/2 of my finger nail:eek:
HRP

HRP, I had that happen about 3 years ago...I had an arguement with my table saw and lost!:eek: Luckily, I had shut it off, and my right pinky only stopped the blade. Now, it's about 3/8" shorter than the left one...Worse, my wife and kids were all inside napping when I did it, so I had to drive myself first to the clinic, then to the hospital, while in shock...All so I could build my wife a hobby table for her scrapbooking.

I guess JoeHalford's sig line is right.;)

Regards,
Shea:)

when this happened shea, i actually thought of that sig--"dirty fingernails don't make you a man-missing fingernails make you a man!"
yep, the scars are there on my fingers, hands, arms etc to prove that i've been involved in SOMETHING anyway:eek:
however the 52 will be put on hold for a while as other things are more pressing at the present time.......
i have have sure enjoyed my build so far and the folks peeking in at it- i've noticed over 4000 views on this thread and thanks to all

HRP

Get back to it when you can....Some might say "life gets in the way," but the truth is, family and friends are our support system. We can't live without 'em.

Regards,

This truck is looking really good preacher, sure wish I could make that much progress on my truck. Personally I think you should use the original hood though. That grill just seems off to me some how. I know in an earlier post you thought it might not looks right, but may I suggest you have a look at mine. I think I pushed my front end out farther that you have but it may give you some idea as to how yours would look with the hood on. I also have an idea of using the original grill bar and teeth which will get narrowed and mounted in a sort of floating fashion under the hood. perhaps you could do this as well, and then find some headlight pots that would mount directly to the ends of the grill bar. Just a thought for you. I'll be looking forward to more pics when you can get back to it.

my wife found some pics this mornin on the camera that i'd almost forgot about...so i thought i'd show the latest pics with the hood being the focal point....
as you can figure out from the pics i sliced both sides of the hood and pulled the sides under the center-crown, narrowing the front by about 4"..it really helped the front from being so wide and got the edge of the hood the same size as my core supt. which will make the grill-build easier and overall alignment better....as for alignment the pinching of the hood-front did alter the back edge of the hood some, but is managable i think...this was the project i was working on when the hood tried to eat my fingernail

BTW- the hood ornament came from the same 56 plymouth that my breather came from...whadya think?

HRP

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 183
Looking good preacher.

You remember that old sitcom "Alf" -- he had a big nose. The hood shots reminded me of alf..

Cool

PA41

:DAlien Life Form...Heh Heh...I remember that one!:D

Regards,

the funny thing about that is when i first found this truck i was told it was a 51...so the original name for a ratted out piece of 51 ford truck was gonna be "AREA (of) 51".......i was afraid no one would "get" it if it was "AREA (of) 52"

maybe ALF will stick:eek:

BTW- PA where's the progress report on your rig???[S

Yo Preacher--ALF would be Fun!

I been meaning to mention I think I can get some Thick walled 1" DOM tube for radius rods for appx $1 a foot here locally if you want to make your own--got the taps too if ya need 5/8 fine L&R--3/4--R only and the drill bits. Holler at me if your interested and I'll check if hes got any more tube..

The 33 Dodge PU project is going pretty good--Doing the 'not so much fun' stuff the last few weeks. Finish welded my reversed Tarus wheels and mounted some cooper cobra tires and ground the whitewalls--big WWs on Coopers.. Got the brakes all plummed and bled-- got the $100 donor 5.0 fired off-- Took the T-body EFI off and went with a $55 Ebay HEI Dizzy and a 500 cfm 2 bbl Holley I had in my Dirt car leftover pile. Need to rejet it--runs RICH! It busted right off 1st try!! I bet I've built a hundred motors, and I can count on one hand the times I've fired them off 1st time!! Used a Speedway Plastic round fuel tank that I will cover with a rusted out swapmeet gas tank--the plastic looks cheesy. Yesterday and today between football, I finish welded my Lakes headers and mounted the alt. That was kinda an ordeal--had to mount it real low cause my flip out headlights take all the room where the alt should go.. Mainly just detail work--nuthin flashy.

Keep us posted on the hood/grill--looking good. PM me on the DOM if your interested.

PA41

got a trip planned tomorrow to go down to see PA and get my DOM for the radius rods--its great to get a chance to do a little more work for the 52!!

pics will come as progress does....[;)[P

i have come to the conclusion that i may never get to work on this thing again.......and not only that, but i have found another project that i really want to work on worse...(can you say A.D.D.?)
so......is there anyone out there interested in buying a partially ratted out 52 ford truck with an olds 403?:eek:
motor starts/runs radiator plumbed, drive shaft made....etc
(just review this build thread......)

to make it drivable....
*brakes
*wiring/lights
*glass(windshield gone)
*trans tunnel/seats (no interior)
*a few other "smaller things"

PM me if you have ??? or would like to make an offer...$$$$:D

Preacher's Hotrod Shop
"Glory bound with the hammer down!"
What do you do when you run out of money to finish your project..START ANOTHER ONE!My heart belongs to Jesus...my butt belongs to the bank

Wow preacher, you really do adhere to your signature saying don't you![cl..good luck with whatever you do.:D...CR

i got a question??

how wide is the front of your frame rails from outside to outside where you have it squared??? and wat is the length of your spring from end to end??? thanx

Preacher's Hotrod Shop
"Glory bound with the hammer down!"
What do you do when you run out of money to finish your project..START ANOTHER ONE!My heart belongs to Jesus...my butt belongs to the bank

Wow preacher, you really do adhere to your signature saying don't you![cl..good luck with whatever you do.:D...CR

just a moment of weakness-i'm better now! forgive me for my momentary lack of perserverance:D

Don't keep us in suspense Preacher, tell us what you're next project is.

......hoping to get to finish(?) my 46 for next spring, and maybe start the 57 ford wagon for the wifey...
how wide is the front of your frame rails from outside to outside where you have it squared??? and wat is the length of your spring from end to end??? thanx

i think the spring is around 25-26"-it came from a local TSC store (trailer application 2000-2500lb rating.....
if i remember correctly the frame width at the front-most crossmember is 28" outside-to-outside

...will be getting back to this sometime after 1st of the year.....hopefully....

christmas break....

the kids were looking forward to going to the shop with me over break, so i took a day for each of the 2 boys ( can't get a thing done if both go same day:D)
we got the radius bars finally welded up, and put on--thanks again to PA41 for the help on getting the DOM tubing, and rod-ends....
on the next outing me and the other young-un got a trans tunnel fabbed and i let him sand and paint it...got to get SOMEBODY to take over the paintgun chores eventually:D

Attachments

• christmas 09 031.jpg
    christmas 09 031.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 76
  • christmas 09 033.jpg
    christmas 09 033.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 64
  • christmas 09 034.jpg
    christmas 09 034.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 73
  • christmas 09 035.jpg
    christmas 09 035.jpg