Ok, the cat is out of the bag!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Building nerf bars is like eating potato chips, you can't stop with just one! :D Dan liked the way the back one came out so well that he decided to build one for the front too, instead of using a traditional single spreader bar.

We essentially bent it up the same way as the back one, but used 5/8 stock this time so it would match the size of the front end better. We also made up some simple brackets to fasten it to the sides of the frame horns. Simple little thing, but we still have about 6 hours in it last night and another 6 tonight. What takes time is the smoothing of the steel and welds when you are done, and getting the jigs built to hold them straight while welding them.

Here are some pictures of it.

Don

Attachments

• dans front nerf bar 009.jpg
    dans front nerf bar 009.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 62
  • dans front nerf bar 011.jpg
    dans front nerf bar 011.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 55
  • dans front nerf bar 013.jpg
    dans front nerf bar 013.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 108
  • dans front nerf bar 014.jpg
    dans front nerf bar 014.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 148
I like that front nerf Don, especially being where a spreader bar would be. I also like it with the caps on the wheels. I saw those pics elsewhere. The car is looking very, very nice.

WOW, Iv'e seen some pics of this truck on the hamb, didn't realize it was you guy's. Im really impressed with you and your sons workmanship, that is one serious piece of engineering. I also saw the tech post on the nerfbars on the hamb. Thats one cool truck, I'll be watching for future post on this one for sure.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm really proud of the things he is doing to the truck. Dan has a good eye for proportions and is sure a lot more patient than I am. He spends hours grinding some part to make sure it looks right..........me, I figure if it isn't out in plain view it doesn't have to be perfect. :rolleyes:

I agree Bill that the hubcaps finish it off. All along I had been suggesting them, but with Dan you have to let him think he came up with the idea. :D:D When we had the hubcaps off of Dons car to do the brake job Dan carried one over and held it up and said "Wow! I think this looks good!" We snapped two on the one side and all stood back and agreed it looks more polished with them on. The car needed the chrome to break up the black wheel/tire combo.

Here are a couple of pictures he posted of it with the caps on and the headlights and grille shell mocked up too.

Don

Attachments

• dans hubcaps.jpg
    dans hubcaps.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 163
  • dans hubcaps 2.jpg
    dans hubcaps 2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 184
Thanks Falconvan. Pretty soon the brake should be getting a workout, we have a couple of interiors we are going to have to bend up.It's been a while since I have had any updates to post on Dan's '29 because he and I got sidetracked on his '49. But we started working on it again this weekend and got some major steps out of the way.

We finally got all of the crossmembers and things like frame horns and radiator brackets welded on for the last time. He and I had to keep flipping the frame over so he could weld on it and this thing is HEAVY! :eek: I am really feeling it today, it must weigh 400 lbs now, almost too much to move by hand even for the two of us.

But we got it done. Now we just have to build the steering box bracket and a few minor things before he can have it sandblasted. After that he is going to box at least the front portion of it. (more weight :eek:) Here are some pictures of where we ended up last night.

Don

Attachments

• dons engine pulled back out 007.jpg
    dons engine pulled back out 007.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 74
  • dons engine pulled back out 010.jpg
    dons engine pulled back out 010.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 55
  • dons engine pulled back out 012.jpg
    dons engine pulled back out 012.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 62
  • dons engine pulled back out 013.jpg
    dons engine pulled back out 013.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 56
  • dons engine pulled back out 014.jpg
    dons engine pulled back out 014.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 54
That frame is beautiful...in a manly sort of way. It's almost a shame to cover it with a body. But I know the whole package will be as nice as the frame.
Bob

Thanks a lot guys. I haven't been posting anything on Dan's build lately because it has been on hold, but on hold for a good reason. (I've had some PM's asking me about this so I thought I'd bring everyone up to date.

Dan has decided to buy a brand new Brookville 30-31 roadster pickup body, and as we speak it is on a truck coming from Ohio to Florida. He started talking about it because he realizes that the truck is coming out pretty nice and every other component on it is new, except for the 80 year old body. He already has a Brookville Model A bed and grille shell, so it was only a natural to buy their body too.

He added up all the work he was going to have to put into the old body to make it straight enough and it would have cost him a bunch of money and months of work. This way, the new body comes in and within a couple of weeks we can have it primed and on. We found out Brookville will sell you a body that is unassembled and we not only saved some money, but we can get it in bare steel so that we do not have to remove their funky primer coat before we properly prime it.

He and I built a platform to build it on, and it is basically a very flat piece of plywood (except it is MDF or something like that........I forget the letters) mounted on a 2 x 4 structure. This makes it very flat and very level so that we can screw down the subframe and erect the body in complete alignment. We scribed a center line down the top and criss crossed it with perfectly parallel lines every 6 inches. This way we should be able to get it absolutely square. I am posting a couple of pictures of the platform below.

The second part of this story is that Dan gave me his old body and model A grille shell, so I have another project that I will be doing. I am buying some parts from Ratty 46 and will use all of these, including the flathead motor and transmission. It will be an old time, low buck hot rod, somewhat like the third picture posted below.

So, that is what we have been up to. I will post lots of pictures of the body going together. I think I am more excited than Dan about building a brand new Brookville body. I've wanted one for years, and this is the next best thing to me getting it myself. :D:D

Don

Attachments

• platform for Dans new body 001.jpg
    platform for Dans new body 001.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 52
  • platform for Dans new body 006.jpg
    platform for Dans new body 006.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 61
  • el rusty new.jpg
    el rusty new.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 131
Hey Maddog, I was just thinking about you the other day. There was a thread on the HAMB about Fiat Topos, lots of street versions. Did you see it?

Thanks for the nice words too. :):)

Don

Hey Don, it almost seems like there is nothing left from Dan's original build. It's as if it's a completely different vehicle. That seems to have worked out well for you though. You almost have enough cast off's to make a new car for yourself.:)

I like the plans for your new project and the Brooksville body will be awesome on Dan's car.

Don,You guys really turned that truck project around.The plan sounds great.I cant wait to see what you and Dan have in store.Keep us posted .

Bill, you are right. The only thing remaining from the original is the engine and transmission. He either sold off the rest of it or gave it to me or Don. Just a week or so ago I hauled a trailer load of his cut up stuff to the scrap yard. Like he says though, this was his first hot rod and was a learning curve for him. I think (I HOPE :D) he has it finalized this time. :rolleyes: I'm pretty stoked about getting his old body too.

George, thanks. Like I said, I think I am more excited for the new body to come in than Dan is. I've always started with an old body or a fiberglass T, every time we saw Brookvilles bodies at some show I would drool over them. It is going to be so much fun actually building one for a change. Prep for paint should be much easier too.

Don

Thanks guys for the nice words. :)

I thought I better update where we are on this build. Dan's body came in on Tuesday and I went to UPS and picked up all 10 boxes. As I mentioned, we decided to order an unassembled body because we not only saved about $2,000 dollars when you figure in a better initial price, no crating fee, and lower shipping costs. Plus, we feel we will get tighter tolerances and a better fit if we take our time.

Here is how the whole shipment looked unboxed. The only damage in transit was one small dent and a couple of dings, but the dent worked right out, so that was no problem.

Don

Attachments

• dans new body arrival 007.jpg
    dans new body arrival 007.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 50
  • dans new body arrival 008.jpg
    dans new body arrival 008.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 38
  • dans new body arrival 010.jpg
    dans new body arrival 010.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 38
  • dans new body arrival 012.jpg