paint problem

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankthebigdog

I sanded and primed a 38 chevy truck a while back. I used nason self etch primer and followed the instructions to the tee. The truck sat a few months then I scuffed it with oooo scotch brite pads from a paint friend of mine. This primer went on a pea green in color and looked good. I decided to paint it yesterday and used white automotive paint [nason] that was white. Ok here is the deal. When I put the paint on, as it began to dry, I started to see orange streaks begin to bleed through in many places on the truck.
I had a painter friend look at this and he had never seen it before either.
I took the truck down to bare metal, cleaned with rust inhibitor before priming, and everything looked good until the paint hit it. I did notice a place on the inside where I sprayed a piece behind the seat that did not get primered, and found the same bleed through.
Any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• truck paint 005.jpg
    truck paint 005.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 35
  • truck paint 006.jpg
    truck paint 006.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 31
  • truck paint 003.jpg
    truck paint 003.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 25
  • truck paint 004.jpg
    truck paint 004.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 26
My dad had similar bleed-through on his 52 Chev truck. Had a few people look at it and said that it was bleed-through because of chemicals that were in the old paint. It didn't show up in the primer, and even though most of the truck was stripped to bare metal it still bled through. Since it was base-clear, we scuffed the clear being careful not to break through it to the base, then re-sprayed the colour and clear on the entire truck. It worked great and has been on the road like that now for almost 10 years.

I was thinking the same thing might be done.
This truck came from a petro/fuel yard and been there for its entire life. We thought it might be something that had absorbed into the metal over the years.

Did you use a sealer in between the etch and finish coats? All of the etching primers I've ever used had to be sealed because it will bleed through. The photos look like bleed through to me.

I have to agree.....

Did you use a sealer in between the etch and finish coats? All of the etching primers I've ever used had to be sealed because it will bleed through. The photos look like bleed through to me.

Isn't that why so many have gone to using epoxy primers?? To avoid that bleed thru problem.... Not a painter per se, but have done a few...and always have used a primer sealer.....never used expoxy though...

Latest posts

Back