pictures of rat rod motorhomes wanted

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of an Aussie corrugated camper

WHEELY_STORY_-_DEEP_HORIZONTAL_FF701637_129369.JPG

from this webpage
http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2010/01/06/146295_back-paddock.html

I am still looking for pictures or info on a Diamond T truck with a corrogated steel sided camper on the back of it. I saw this truck in northern Minnesota a few (maybe more than a few) years ago. Does anybody have any info on it???

No luck with that, but thanks for bumping this thread.

ratdodge_vk.jpg

Doc....

The one with the multiple axles....will it even go around corners??? Or does it have lift axles???... one long sons a gun!!!

The one with the multiple axles....will it even go around corners??? Or does it have lift axles???... one long sons a gun!!!

Elephino, Sarge. ('ell if I know. My father's humour). I seem to recall this monstrosity from my days in the RV business. The legend at that time said the front axles all steered at different radiuses, but the rears were fixed, no lifts. Pure BS and speculation, but if the story is true, it was never roadworthy and can probably be found in the same farmyard the photo comes from.

Win, lose or draw, I'd love to take Ralph Nader for a burn in it. :D

Who would have thought some hacked up homemade camper/motor home could look so cool. I was following some weird old motor home down the highway this week hopefully i can remember what it is and post a picture.

Found it and some info.
The Ultra Van is a unique motorhome.
Powered by a Corvair engine and transaxle, it was designed by David
Peterson (a professional aircraft designer) in the early sixties. These
units were produced in limited quantities by the Ultra Van Corporation of
Hutchinson, Kansas until June of 1970.

As a true monococque structure, the Ultra Van has no chassis. It is constructed
like an airplane with aluminum ribs covered with riveted sheet aluminum on the
top and sides. Compound curved areas (front and back corners) are fiberglass.
All wheels are independently sprung with coil springs and tubular shock
absorbers.

These units cruise easily at 60 mph and deliver 15 plus mpg. More than 200 of
about 370 units produced are still on the road, many with between 100,000 and
500,000 miles of use.

Attachments

• Ultra van.jpg
    Ultra van.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 80
rvIMG_0189.jpg

rvmobilab.jpg

rvsaab92h_700.jpg

This one's from Hemmings site. Factory built (1925?) Studebaker RV.

rvStudeRV_05_1000.jpg

I threw this in here just 'cuz I think it's cool. Project anyone?

seagramsDiamondT_02_resized.jpg

seagramsDiamondT_05_resized.jpg

And finally.....

rv6136801559_bcee611076_z.jpg

I know where one like this Caddy is sitting. It's been in a garage for 20 years of more. Original factory built chassis camper used by a nationally known midget racer back in the 50's-60's era. He used it to tour the country and race. I'll try to get more info and pics and post later.

Man! I wish i had my camera out this morning on the commute when i saw a cool vintage air stream driving down the highway. Had to be early to mid 70's. Very nice slight oxidation to the skin, absolutely beautiful!
Even though the thing was at least 10 years older then me, i still find the beauty in it! Driver probably thought i was crazy breaking my neck to get my eyes on it :D

I threw this in here just 'cuz I think it's cool. Project anyone?

seagramsDiamondT_02_resized.jpg

seagramsDiamondT_05_resized.jpg

This one's located about a 10 minute drive away from me at a local "antique automobile dealership/restoration shop."

I've looked at it in person and I'll say two things about it- It's rusty as all get out and it's one BIG Mo-Fo! :D Would make a pretty cool motorhome, though.:cool:;)

Regards,
Shea:)

Not ratty and not really a motor home, but I still thought it fit this thread..used for advertising in south Tulsa..
oldmotorhome.png

I can't believe it, photobucket is finally back to normal!!!!

Latest posts

Back