Satin black or gloss black

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryH

My T-Bucket is currently torn down for paint and upholstery. It'll be flat black for now but someday it might get painted (Hugger orange). Maybe. But nowhere during the near future. I bought this thing to cruise and haul the grand kids around in. Don't feel liking polishing paint or having a stroke because one of the little ones scratched my 15K paint job.

I decided to have the frame powder coated black. I just can't decide if i should go with gloss black or satin black. keeping in mind that it might get painted some day, whatta you guys think? Gloss or satin?

satin is the one for me , unless you got lots of chrome, then the gloss.

It does have quit a bit of chrome. Way more than i actually wanted but i did a good deal on the car. The front suspension, rear hair pins, coil overs, firewall headlights and stands are all chromed. I'm thinking about redoing the firewall and headlights flat black. The headlight stands will be frame color.

I like this stuff, sorry I don't have a pic of it on something right now but it has that just right satin look in my opinion......

4-9-09gotmyJDBlitzBlackpainttoday.jpg

....get it at your local John Deere dealer......if you're lucky enough to still have one, they pulled the local franchise here because they weren't selling a 'brazillion' tractors a year:(:mad:........never mind that they were a thriving service center and were indeed still selling as many tractors as they ever did:mad:
Anyway, I digress, check out the Blitz Black, I think you'll like it.

I sprayed mine with SEM Hot Rod Black and so did my Son on his RPU. We have made the comment that if someone offered to spray our cars in gloss for free now we would turn them down........they have exactly the look we wanted on these two cars.

The ONLY drawback is that the satin is not as forgiving as gloss when you spill something on it, like gasoline. It stains it somewhat and you can't rub it out because it will be shiny in that spot. So you have to be a little more careful with it. However, I got an antifreeze bath at 60 mph when my waterpump blew in Daytona, and it all wiped right off with Mothers detailer.

Don

my27atturkeyrun2.jpg

my27atTR.jpg

dansrputop2.jpg

I'm not sure you can go wrong flat or gloss, your car looks good no matter. Not to sure about the orange.... too show car for me.

Not to sure about the orange.... too show car for me.

That's why it "may" get painted sometime in the future.

Someone also suggested red oxide instead of flat black. That might lool good against a simi gloss frame.

I love these two:

my27atturkeyrun2.jpg

my27atTR.jpg

dansrputop2.jpg

glossy frames are a little less to maintain because flat colors hold grease and dirt like crazy. might not seem like a big deal but that beautiful satin that you worked so hard to get just right starts to look dingy brownish and the paint likes to fade if you dont use satin clears or GQ paint. A buddy of mine used walmart $1 paint or krylon and used a synthetic wax or something and it looked like brand new satin ! a far jump from the grey it turned before he did that. maybe it was canuba. either way its something to think about . I love satins more than gloss but its something to consider. do you want that mud puddle you hit last week to be there till you have to buff the sucker out? on that note swirl it with a flap disk and clear powder it !

glossy frames are a little less to maintain because flat colors hold grease and dirt like crazy. might not seem like a big deal but that beautiful satin that you worked so hard to get just right starts to look dingy brownish and the paint likes to fade if you dont use satin clears or GQ paint. A buddy of mine used walmart $1 paint or krylon and used a synthetic wax or something and it looked like brand new satin ! a far jump from the grey it turned before he did that. maybe it was canuba. either way its something to think about . I love satins more than gloss but its something to consider. do you want that mud puddle you hit last week to be there till you have to buff the sucker out? on that note swirl it with a flap disk and clear powder it !

i ALMOST painted my frame white -- went with a gloss grey - figured it would turn that color anyway lol

I thought about using grey floor enamel at one point. a local discount place had it cheap and its supposed to be tuff but might go with a plastikote cast iron

My coupe is satin black. I had intentions of painting my car gloss black when I got everything pretty much how I wanted it. Every time I tell someone that I'm going to paint the car, they say "oh no, don't do it. It will lose it's personality". So far, I've just left it satin but it's starting to look beat up.

Hey don if you do plan on painting it I`m sure some one with your skills knows not to try the waxing ideah I put on here but I washed a buddies with a rag and beared down pretty hard and the sattin buffed back to a richer black. a very light scotch bright might get good results too? never tried the scotch bright method so dont hold me to it.

another option is to use a flattening addative in regular paint. Or a satin clear coat. Either way it seals the paint like a regular paint job and cuts down on the staining action. I painted a buddies bike and it laid out in a perfect black all shiney. Then I had to watch as it dried and went to flat. Still looked good in the end. [cl

Latest posts

Back