Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So true......

whenever this type of stuff happens, I always talk to a supervisor.....sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't....I don't get huffy....I just give them the facts and let them know that I'm disappointed in their service....

Thats no way to do business

That kind of thing is sure frustrating.Looks like they would have got your sheetmetal count right before moving on to other orders.
I know how that is.I ordered 320 board feet of fresh cut eastern red cedar last fall.When it arrived quite a few boards were faded out and looked like a corkscrew.I guess they just finished my order with yard scraps.:rolleyes:

Yes,you know people don't understand this time is lost you will never get back. it's gone. I would have an extra 4 years on this earth if i was given back the time I lost waiting for other people to do their jobs, so I could do mine. This is a sickness in USA we have to take charge here and change the ones who are doing this. Worse than slackers>>>>>>>>>>LOSERS

Heheh my face is blue from telling managers and bosses their short comings. They are just as bad as their employees because they should be out in the field at times seeing what their Company is doing and what kind of work force he or she has. This is called leadership and its very lacking here in USA.

Raining Buckets but I am inside and back on the job for 3 days, before I have more errands. I made it to the shop early so I could get started on my Quarter panel fabrication. I had the 4X8 ft sheet cut to 4ftX4ft because that is the largest piece of sheet metal on the rear of the Rod. I had to cut a four foot curved quarter panel all by hand. My air nips have a broken cutter tooth and They charge to much for a replacement. And they break ten minutes into the job no matter what speed or air pressure you use. They are real junk now. I prefer to use my Rigid Hand Nips from my Heating Business. Just keep them sharp with a small Arkansas stone. It took me a while as my wrists are not twenty years old any more. I finished the right side cut and fitted. I changed my MIG Welder from Gas to flux cored wire and I have been welding better than any time before with Argon. I think the snap-on Mig has a problem when you use the Gas. I could never get it right and it always looked like Turkey poop! I am please with the welds now no burn through or distortion. I weld an inch or so and hammer the edges closer and tight them weld some more. The longest external weld is on the top seam all the other welds are plug welds and inside rail welds. I am sticking with the flux core welds they are the best for me. This will save me from sending the Argon Retailer the the Bahamas each year on my money. The sheet is real rigid and i am pleased with it. I also started to fit my fender curves from my wife's pic nic table top she was throwing away. I will study it for a while and see if I want to change it any. I will make some cardboard patterns in the rear area of the fender to make the lips wide and taper it towards the top of the fender. Enough blabbing lets see some Photos

Attachments

• HPIM4900.jpg
    HPIM4900.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 28
  • HPIM4901.jpg
    HPIM4901.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 27
  • HPIM4899.jpg
    HPIM4899.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 24
Photos..

Attachments

• HPIM4902.jpg
    HPIM4902.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 21
  • HPIM4903.jpg
    HPIM4903.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 20
  • HPIM4904.jpg
    HPIM4904.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 33
Photos

Attachments

• HPIM4905.jpg
    HPIM4905.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 21
  • HPIM4906.jpg
    HPIM4906.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 25
  • HPIM4907.jpg
    HPIM4907.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 39
Well I pretty much stayed with the original outline of the fenders and went with what I had. I ended the very rear and bottom of the fenders a little different. I stayed away from the Beaver tail ending and did something different. I carried the end all the way to the rear valance. Just a little different from other cars and a nice water catcher, ha ha. I will spend a little time on the lip of the curves as I have made some rough templates of what I will need to make the opening for the wheel more circular and smaller in diameter. I actually spent 6 hrs in the shop this was not as fast as I had imagined it would be. Everything has been welded in place and nothing will get changed that I know of. I have some photos..

Attachments

• HPIM4910.jpg
    HPIM4910.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM4911.jpg
    HPIM4911.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM4912.jpg
    HPIM4912.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 22
Photos of rear fender

Attachments

• HPIM4915.jpg
    HPIM4915.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 26
  • HPIM4913.jpg
    HPIM4913.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM4914.jpg
    HPIM4914.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 20
Photos rear fender

Attachments

• HPIM4916.jpg
    HPIM4916.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 50
  • HPIM4917.jpg
    HPIM4917.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 32
  • HPIM4918.jpg
    HPIM4918.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 37
Photos rear fender

Attachments

• HPIM4918.jpg
    HPIM4918.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 22
  • HPIM4919.jpg
    HPIM4919.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 27
  • HPIM4920.jpg
    HPIM4920.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 25
Remember the Blue water tank from my home that I did the cab corners with? Well I found the top caps from that water tank and I knew it has a nice radius curved on the edge of it. So that's what I am going to use once I straighten out the mandrel bent water Tank. I had a heck of a job cutting out the centre it walked all over the bench. But I prevailed and went at it butchering it to death. This will allow another 3 inches in width to the fender as I needed in case I want to go with fatter tires sometime.. And it gives me the curved lip I wanted. The bad part is I will have to use Body filler to fix the area in-between the curved part and the original fender. Big deal that's why they have body filler and I am not that good that I can make metal look like it was factory made, It's not going to happen here. I will weld up the pie cuts as I go. I could not straighten it out enough with out the pie cuts. This operation took me 6.5 hrs and was not a quick thing to do. But I like the Radius and I will go with this. I also fitted a rear piece rough clamped to see what the other part will look like when i weld that on. I also liked what I saw and will go with it. But I have to put a lip on the bottom of that rear piece so I don't have a sharp edge of sheet metal exposed. I can see some more pie cuts as I don't have a shrinker, English wheel , I'll do what I can get to work. I may just cut out the pieces and weld them together. I have some Photos...

Attachments

• HPIM4922.jpg
    HPIM4922.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 15
  • HPIM4923.jpg
    HPIM4923.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 19
  • HPIM4924.jpg
    HPIM4924.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 16
Photos metal hammering

Attachments