Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photos..

Attachments

• HPIM4931.jpg
    HPIM4931.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 41
  • HPIM4932.jpg
    HPIM4932.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 42
  • HPIM4930.jpg
    HPIM4930.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 67
Photos

Attachments

• HPIM4933.jpg
    HPIM4933.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 45
  • HPIM4934.jpg
    HPIM4934.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 40
  • HPIM4935.jpg
    HPIM4935.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 38
Another 6 hours and many angles and 5 little pieces to finish the rear part of the fender. I couldn’t make this in one piece too many curves and direction changes, I will have to fix this with Body filler to get the shapes needed. However it is really rigid with all the welds and pieces I added. I also fabricated a one inch lip to reinforce the rear quarter panel piece. This stiffened up the sheet metal a lot. All this was time consuming but that's the fun of Hot Rods. It looks like each rear fender will take about 30 hours each to just finish fabricating with no fillers etc, the way I figure it. The lip was time consuming also. I still have the front half to do and maybe tomorrow Ill get to that. I like the looks of the rear ending I finally decided on. I tried a lot of ends and didn't like any until I hit this one, It appeared the best to me so that's the one we will have. I have Photos try to piece what I did together, he he I was all over the place today. Photos..

Attachments

• HPIM4936.jpg
    HPIM4936.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 36
  • HPIM4937.jpg
    HPIM4937.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 34
  • HPIM4938.jpg
    HPIM4938.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 44
Photos

Attachments

• HPIM4939.jpg
    HPIM4939.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 31
  • HPIM4940.jpg
    HPIM4940.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 29
  • HPIM4941.jpg
    HPIM4941.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 30
Photos

Attachments

• HPIM4942.jpg
    HPIM4942.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 30
  • HPIM4945.jpg
    HPIM4945.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 29
  • HPIM4944.jpg
    HPIM4944.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 37
Photos...

Attachments

• HPIM4948.jpg
    HPIM4948.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 30
  • HPIM4947.jpg
    HPIM4947.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 28
  • HPIM4946.jpg
    HPIM4946.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 53
This is quite interesting to say the least!
Are you welding everything together with flex core? I woulda given up the first day!
I about tossed my welder out the garage this weekend just doing tacks with flux.

I give you some serious props for scratch building! That's down right impressive.

I finished the left rear fender with the fabrication, now I have to weld in the pie cuts. I jumped to the other side to plat catch up with this fender. In the photos you will see I have a 4x4 foot piece of sheet steel clamped in position and marked for cutting. I will try tomorrow to start the left side fender. I did one pie cut with a scrap piece you can see that in the photos. I have a little banging out on the fender here and there Ill do later when i take off the tire. 4 or so more hours with this fabrication of fenders today. Photos..

Attachments

• HPIM4949.jpg
    HPIM4949.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 26
  • HPIM4950.jpg
    HPIM4950.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 26
  • HPIM4951.jpg
    HPIM4951.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 21
Photos

Attachments

• HPIM4952.jpg
    HPIM4952.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 50
  • HPIM4953.jpg
    HPIM4953.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 44
  • HPIM4954.jpg
    HPIM4954.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 48
Yes I am using Flux cored wire the Mig and Gas dont work I have had it all over the place and its no good snap on has always been junk in my estimation and costly also. I like craftsman stuff.

My kid bought me a snap on 110 mig gas welder...

Yes I am using Flux cored wire the Mig and Gas dont work I have had it all over the place and its no good snap on has always been junk in my estimation and costly also. I like craftsman stuff.

actually I like it...especially if I want to do something light...it welds 24ga or 30ga without a problem....it's only a year old and is different than welding with the 220 one, but I like it so far..

.? I'm confused. You using flux. Got that. But gas doesn't work? You mean its not working on your welder?
Most welders just have a hose that connects to the back for gas, some have an external regulator (like mine) others have them built in.

I'm using a cheapo harbor freight welder with gas and it is fantastic for what I'm using it for! I wouldn't touch flux with a 10 foot pole unless I was forced to.

If you like flux, by all means,mkeep pushing forward!

did you reverse the polarity when you switched to gas?

flux core has it's place....

.? I'm confused. You using flux. Got that. But gas doesn't work? You mean its not working on your welder?
Most welders just have a hose that connects to the back for gas, some have an external regulator (like mine) others have them built in.

I'm using a cheapo harbor freight welder with gas and it is fantastic for what I'm using it for! I wouldn't touch flux with a 10 foot pole unless I was forced to.

If you like flux, by all means,mkeep pushing forward!

Frankly I think that if he can get good welds with flux on light gauge stuff, God bless him......I've tried with the smallest 30ga flux and it just burned thru...I guess you use what ya got and it's working for him....keep on keepin on...waiting to see more[P

Frankly I think that if he can get good welds with flux on light gauge stuff, God bless him......I've tried with the smallest 30ga flux and it just burned thru...I guess you use what ya got and it's working for him....keep on keepin on...waiting to see more[P

Well I gotta ask, it sounds like someone said its easier to weld thin metal with flux?! If so, i might have to give this a try. I've been struggling with my 220volt gas wire on mine for a while. If flux Is easier, I'll give it a shot.

Oh no I didn't.......!!!!

Well I gotta ask, it sounds like someone said its easier to weld thin metal with flux?! If so, i might have to give this a try. I've been struggling with my 220volt gas wire on mine for a while. If flux Is easier, I'll give it a shot.

I didn't say that.....I said I COULDN'T weld thin metal worth a crap with flux core....in any size..any speed or any hi or low setting....none, nada, zip, zero....I've used flux outside welding up a broken tow bar and such but thin stuff....no good for me....that's why I said if he's doing it, God bless him cause I never could......

actually I like it...especially if I want to do something light...it welds 24ga or 30ga without a problem....it's only a year old and is different than welding with the 220 one, but I like it so far..

I didn't say that.....I said I COULDN'T weld thin metal worth a crap with flux core....in any size..any speed or any hi or low setting....none, nada, zip, zero....I've used flux outside welding up a broken tow bar and such but thin stuff....no good for me....that's why I said if he's doing it, God bless him cause I never could......

Pardon me for misunderstanding your 1st quote.

Latest posts

Back