Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I put the nozzle right close to the metal just like plug welding and the settings are 90 amps .30 flux core wire and the heat is at 6 and the wire speed is at 6. I squeeze off a 3 second burst each time and clean the nozzle after 6 or 7 welds. It has done a good job for me and absolutely no misfires. I had plenty witth the dam Gas. I dont think ill waste any money on Gas in the near future. The metal thickness is of course 18 gauge that i am welding.

of course you will get distortion if you go to far i go an inch or so then hammer the seams then go again it seems to work for me. But I have always broke the rules on most things. Im not sayaing this is the way to do things but it works for me Im getting a whole car done this way...

I have a 20 yr old snap on and the gas works but I get pukie welds and misfires all the way thru. I went to flux core wire and I get constant wire feeds and great arcs continuously. and i dont burn through as I am welding 18 gauge steel I put the nozzle right close to the metal and squeeze off a 3 second burst..like a machine Gun in the old days... hahaha Something is wrong on the snap on im sure but I like this way better and the costs is great And the Gas retailer will not go to the Bahamas on my money any more...

Last edited:
It's been five months now that I have been building this Coupe. I have been searching and looking in my spare time for the parts I need for the Ford Boss 351 Cleveland Engine. I am finding that the costs are not to my liking, retailers are trying to get one whole quarter paid for with one sale it seems. So I have been felt like I'm being pushed into a corner here. I decided I will change the engine plans completely so I wont be a prisoner of outrageous prices. I will take the engine out in the spring and throw it in the corner for another 30 years. I have decided I will use a 2.3 Mekur turbo charged engine with a 5 speed Manual transmission. This engine is cost free except for what add ons I may opt. I actually save head aches from tight areas like starter, headers, carb to hood and others. I dont need a 540HP engine to help tear up that tine 7inch rear axel. And it will be better on gas, more gentle and street able. It seems the retailers want to get one whole quarter for one sale. I'm sorry to say they wont be going to the Bahamas on my money this year. Changes are made because of costs and I am the man to do what is needed so I don't get shoved into a unhealthy situation of feeding a car with all your cash. So this is just another change that came because of our times and the way we operate. Ford only made 8000 Boss Cleveland’s maybe I'll sell the engine to get some cash for the Coupé. You heard it here first, eheheh

Sorry...didn't want you trying anything

Pardon me for misunderstanding your 1st quote.

that I might have said incorrectly.....my first response was to the snap on tool thing....my snap on welder works great...it's gas mig 110 volt welder that does light stuff really well.....sorry about that...:D

I think that you're moving a head nicely....

I agree you might want to sell the motor to fund other things on the build....they are expensive to build....As for the flux core, you're a better man than I gunga din.....I've had absolutely no luck using flux core on any sheet metal work......but if it ain't broke, don't fix it....weld on McDuff, Weld on....LOL..[P

It's been five months now that I have been building this Coupe. I have been searching and looking in my spare time for the parts I need for the Ford Boss 351 Cleveland Engine. I am finding that the costs are not to my liking, retailers are trying to get one whole quarter paid for with one sale it seems. So I have been felt like I'm being pushed into a corner here. I decided I will change the engine plans completely so I wont be a prisoner of outrageous prices. I will take the engine out in the spring and throw it in the corner for another 30 years. I have decided I will use a 2.3 Mekur turbo charged engine with a 5 speed Manual transmission. This engine is cost free except for what add ons I may opt. I actually save head aches from tight areas like starter, headers, carb to hood and others. I dont need a 540HP engine to help tear up that tine 7inch rear axel. And it will be better on gas, more gentle and street able. It seems the retailers want to get one whole quarter for one sale. I'm sorry to say they wont be going to the Bahamas on my money this year. Changes are made because of costs and I am the man to do what is needed so I don't get shoved into a unhealthy situation of feeding a car with all your cash. So this is just another change that came because of our times and the way we operate. Ford only made 8000 Boss Cleveland’s maybe I'll sell the engine to get some cash for the Coupé. You heard it here first, eheheh

I agree with you 100%
I would LOVE to have an old school hemi but for now I'm sticking with the 350/350 combo just to make it easy. I've already gotten a lot of fluff from guys about doing the norm, but that's what I can do. At least the truck will be on the road and that's all counts.
Heck, I'd throw in a Honda 4 banger just to be on the street if that's what it took.
As long as your happy with the outcome, that's all that matters :)
Keep up the good work!

I cut and clamped the left side quarter panel that's all the time I had today. But I sharpened my tin snips last evening with and Arkansas stone today they cut twice as fast on a 4 ft long cut by hand. So I have a plus here..

Last edited:
Use what you got

I know what you are talking about.Got to run what you have.
I am trying to find small block chevy for my project but they want $500-$1000 on C list for old,worn out used engines thats been left out in weather
I have several Ford 200-170 6 cylinder engines with 3 speed stick trans.
I may have to use one of those because I cannot afford sbc for that price.
I wanted the V8 rumble,but..........[S

Yeah they all think they have a gold mine charging so much for junk. Run the Ford 6 cylnders they can get souped up some even with the integral head just machine a spot off single carbs on each side and a cam rumpty rump

After some errands I got to weld the quarter panel and fit the fender form and weld on some supports for the fenders metal Only a few hours to diddle with the Rod but all the time is headway. Maybe tomorrow I can get the fender skin cut and fitted. Have a few photos of the left side getting done

Attachments

• HPIM4956.jpg
    HPIM4956.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 43
  • HPIM4957.jpg
    HPIM4957.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 41
  • HPIM4958.jpg
    HPIM4958.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 33
if i was closer I would come and buy one of your Ford sixes with the tranny. I had a bunch years ago and they were fun to work on also good gas mileage if the car weight was low.

I had some more time to spend on the Rod doing the left rear fender. And trying to get it to reflect the right rear fenders measurements. There are differences already but they look the same and Ill live with that. These fenders have taken some time and all the pieces etc, I will do more tomorrow hopefully. I have some photos..

Attachments

• HPIM4968.jpg
    HPIM4968.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 26
  • HPIM4967.jpg
    HPIM4967.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 32
  • HPIM4966.jpg
    HPIM4966.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 29
Fender day again I done more to the rear left fender. I am picking away at it and welded more pieces on today. I fabricated the lip for the side of the fender and finished the curved part on the edge of the fender. Maybe another day I will be done except for filling in the pie cuts with steel pieces. There are some small discrepancies from each fender. But as my brother in law says: you can't see both fenders at the same time. And I agree with him. I have some photos..

Attachments

• HPIM4973.jpg
    HPIM4973.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 21
  • HPIM4974.jpg
    HPIM4974.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 21
  • HPIM4975.jpg
    HPIM4975.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 18
5814A /special 12AU7

UPDATE>. I now have invested $1,424.56 so far in this project. And I am pleased with what I have accomplished so far. This car is starting to look like something in the rear. It appears I may have a complete Mekur X4RTI to get all the parts I need to finish this Rod. Some parts may have to be modified in some ways to fit specific areas. But that is small compared to the parts that I will have access to. So if all goes right this spring and summer I will have a lot of things to do. Lights, wiring,dash , seats, wipers, electric windows, hmm all sounds good to me. This will save a ton of cash for me. stay tuned...

Latest posts

Back