Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good to see origional builds, wish i could have the time to spend on a build of that magnatude.....looks great keep hammering on!!![;)

wish you had the time also it's quite relaxing doing this work. i'm not rushed at all and dont feel like it either. Maybe when you retire I am retired.

Well the rear fender fabrication is about done. I finished the left rear today, but will have plenty of finishing work ahead of me with welding pie cut patches and body filler down the road. I have a few photos. Maybe next time I will work on the trunk lid and try to get that squared away.

Attachments

• HPIM4978.jpg
    HPIM4978.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 57
  • HPIM4979.jpg
    HPIM4979.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 52
I started to lay out the skin for the trunk lid. Lots of prep for this as the side rails are not perfect on both sides or identical. So I had to make up the difference so it will lay even across the lid. I used a straight edge across the width of the trunk and saw where it was going to be below what I wanted. I added strips of 1/8th inch X 1.5 inch flat steel to bring the surface up and give me a small crown in the centre plus a rigid member to weld to from the underside of the lid. If you look at factory trunk lids they have thicker edges that they have rolled crimped etc. I don't have that stuff so I added some appliance corner edges to weld to and to give the very edges a thicker base. Hopefully I can do most of the tack welding from underneath the trunk lid side. This will give me a 1/8 inch edge of my 18 gauge steel overlapping the sides and top and bottom of the trunk lid. We will see how that comes out, as you know all plans to dot go accordingly. I worked on this for 4.5 hours and will try to fit a full piece of sheet steel tomorrow if I get to work in the shop. Have a couple of photos

Attachments

• HPIM4984.jpg
    HPIM4984.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 27
  • HPIM4985.jpg
    HPIM4985.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 26
  • HPIM4986.jpg
    HPIM4986.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 28
Photos of trunk lid build up

Attachments

• HPIM4987.jpg
    HPIM4987.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 24
  • HPIM4988.jpg
    HPIM4988.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 22
  • HPIM4989.jpg
    HPIM4989.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 29
You will not have to look at my ratty open trunk any more when I photo it. I spent 3 hours today measuring cutting , clamping, adjusting. I fit the trunk lid the best it's going to be for a home made hammered out Car. It was touch and go all over and it will not get any better than it is now except for finishing it with filler and all the other junk you do before paint it. I welded the skin mostly underneath with the welds. I will have some hammering and grinding here and there as well as filler as needed. But it opens and closes well and I was able to hide the bottom parts of the hinges, I will not do any more here as I want to get back and finish up the roof with my left over metal pieces. All 18 gauge. After the roof I will tackle the doors again and see what I can do there. Spring is on the way and I want to be able to get this thing outside during nice days to grind and sand as well as other operations. Plus I have to tear the Mekur apart to salvage all the goodies on it. I have some photos..

Attachments

• HPIM4990.jpg
    HPIM4990.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 31
  • HPIM4991.jpg
    HPIM4991.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 44
  • HPIM4992.jpg
    HPIM4992.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 39
More trunk lid photos.

Attachments

• HPIM4993.jpg
    HPIM4993.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 34
  • HPIM4994.jpg
    HPIM4994.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 36
  • HPIM4995.jpg
    HPIM4995.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 30
Beginning to look like a ride.....

gotta hand it to you...it's coming together nice....can't wait to see it done and in prime or paint or whatever you plan on.....[cl[P

I stuck to my guns and started the roof with all the left over pieces of 18 gauge steel sheet.. I worked 4 hours and was able to get 90% of the roof done cut clamped and welded on. I have the small side pieces left and I will extract them from the pieces left. I then may go to the doors , I found I have enough steel tubing to redo each door full length with welded tubing. Plus I will have another 4x4 foot sheet of 18 gauge to cover the doors on both sides. So I think that will be the order when I get the roof finished. So my left over stuff is starting to pay off here and get a lot of other things done.. After the doors I can mess with the flors and steering placement. I plan on taking out the dash from the Mekur in one piece, wiring and all and then cutting off the far right side of the dash so it will fit my cars space. I will use all the wiring from the Mekur all in one piece as I take it out. After I wire and hook up the parts I want and need I will eliminate the extra stuff from the wiring. So I have a lot of planing here. I will be using the stock Mekur steering so Ill leave that in place also. There will be a lot of modifying things as I go. This is nice having all the wiring, brakes, engine wiring full dash steering and maybe even the seats If I can do it. Seat belts etc. Once I fit the engine and get all the parts installed I can go to the front fenders, cowl, fire wall, hood etc. I should be able to move the car with the engine in it. That's how I done my 1948 Ford Coupé I drove it in and out of the garage while I finished it. Things are shaping up here. I have some photos

Attachments

• HPIM4997.jpg
    HPIM4997.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 22
  • HPIM4998.jpg
    HPIM4998.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 24
  • HPIM4996.jpg
    HPIM4996.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 22
Roof photos

Attachments

• HPIM4999.jpg
    HPIM4999.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 26
  • HPIM5000.jpg
    HPIM5000.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 22
  • HPIM5001.jpg
    HPIM5001.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 18
I had to go to the doors now as I don't want to add the roof pieces until I get a door height and figure a lip for it. I did the right side door I framed it with 3/4 inch tubing and cut a piece of sheet steel for the bottom. Ill weld it tomorrow if I don't see anything that needs modifying. This took another 3 hours to do, I forgot that I sloped the front roof down 1 inch when I built it good thing I checked all that. the door window will be 1 inch shorter towards the cowl. The cars side looks better now with a covered up door side. It opens and closes nice, so I will peck away at this and see what I can devise. I can now fit the roof pieces and bring it down to the doors top edge. I have some photos...

Photos

Attachments

• HPIM5007.jpg
    HPIM5007.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 17
  • HPIM5008.jpg
    HPIM5008.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 19
  • HPIM5009.jpg
    HPIM5009.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 28
Photos..;..;