Should I buy it?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

Should I buy this jewel and what's it realistically worth? Looks to be in excellent condition. Kalamazoo no.28 made by Atlas

Can't buy it for weight or it would already be at my shop.
press1.jpg

press2.jpg

Should I buy this jewel and what's it realistically worth? Looks to be in excellent condition. Kalamazoo no.28 made by Atlas

Can't buy it for weight or it would already be at my shop.
View attachment 65862

View attachment 65863

Atlas models 26 and 28 were introduced in January 1914....the unique feature was the swinging plate that could be used on various size jobs.... I can't find a thing on line to indicate what they are worth....but if in that good of shape I'd think it was worth as much or more than some of the newer crap on the market....JMHO

Yeah, that's a pretty hefty piece....

also takes a crap load of space.... probably not the best for a general purpose type of press...... $500 sounds reasonable I guess if you had a use for something that was designed for heavy automotive assembly work....pressing bearings or such would seem to be a waste...lol

That's one big piece of equipment ! :eek: A few years ago I passed on a free lathe that my boss offered me. It was a HUGE thing, worked great, and came off a WWII battleship originally. They just wanted it gone, but even the forklift did a reverse wheeliie when it tried picking it up! :D I think it weighed something like a ton. Aside from how to transport it, I knew it would take up valuable space in the shop.

Don

i don't know much about the press but the axleson (spelling) lathe in the back ground could be a jewel

they are great machines, and always bring good money in most any shape. that is all dad would buy when they had the shop in houston, now my brothers are in pearsall and most of their machines are axleson's. i really couldn't tell you how much, but look around and see what they are going for. can't tell real good from the picture but it apeers to be a 16" and can't tell how long it is are if the tail stock is there.

Haha, that is just like the lathe I passed on. :D The weight and size were one factor, but I heard horror stories of how people get hair and clothes caught in them and I didn't want my Sons using it.

You could turn anything with one that size. Moving it might be another issue altogether.:eek:

Don

i'll go for that now that i can see a good pic of it. how long has it been setting out side? bedford's are good lathes too. yes they can be unforgiving if not used right, it is a matter of respect.

Latest posts

Back