The greatest (rod) story ever told

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your jig needs to be a little more stout. :eek: :eek: Man, I didn't know they made I beam that big.

That body is definitely savable. I like the concept of a tub, that car is a natural for it. Some tubing formed around the top edge of the body, and you would have a very strong, nice shape.

Yeah, good thing you posted pictures. I believed you, but the other guys were all saying it wasn't true. :D :D

Don

I worked as a welder on a bridge crew for a while, and welded on 24 inch beam. They make it in 48 inch, and probably bigger now, but I worked on small bridges. I plan on putting some arms out in two or 3 more places, to clamp frame material down to. I figured my shop is small but I am sitting on 12 acres, so a trailer made sense to me.

This story is along way from over.

I worked as a welder on a bridge crew for a while, and welded on 24 inch beam. They make it in 48 inch, and probably bigger now, but I worked on small bridges. I plan on putting some arms out in two or 3 more places, to clamp frame material down to. I figured my shop is small but I am sitting on 12 acres, so a trailer made sense to me.

This story is along way from over.

What did you do Bonehead. Carry that piece home in your lunch box? :D

Figured I might need a 10 foot bridge someday.

Besides, if you can carry out a 10 foot X18 inch I beam, who's gonna stop you?

Last edited:
On the first trip back to see Mr. Serling, I got the sedan, and the Ford V6.
He called me up the other day and told me he had the 4 cyl motor and the rear end out of the donor car. Him and Charlie decided to go pull it. He has a winch truck and a torch so I am guessing it wasn't pretty.
So he asked me if I had any interest in a convertable VW. I told him I really didn't, but they are worth quite a bit now, maybe I could sell it for him. He says it is in pretty rough shape, and we should keep it for "trading material", maybe get a motor out of the deal.
His excitement about doing something, has rubbed off on me. I am putting other projects aside and going for the sedan at this point. I would love to get it back over to him to let him take it for a spin.

He has never built a hot rod, but has had the desire to for a long time. He is a truck driver among other things and has traveled all over, taking mental notes as to where cars and trucks are sitting.

He told me about an avalanche that took a bunch of cars off the road on a mountain pass. He says the cars are still in the bottom of a ravine. He says they are pretty banged up, but there are a lot of good peices still there. He says two 30ish sedans and a coupe, and a bunch of other stuff. I am thinking of a camping trip in the mountains this summer.:rolleyes:

Bonehead, that really would be cool if you could get the sedan going and take it back to him for a ride. I bet it would really make his day and then some. How about a RRR camping trip. Although I don't know if I would want to fall asleep around some of these guys :D .

Now all this is happening over there in your area of the woods?
Dang.....you are one lucky dude. I have a junk yard farther out in th edesert, but the old ladies kids are like vultures on th efence. While I am out there helping fix up her place, they are slowly trying to steal everything from her.
It real is good to see you have a couple of old turtles in your back yard.
They must think of you as a prodical son........just too cool.

Maximo

WOW!
I started reading this and then suddenly realized my wife had been talking to me the whole time.......whoops. :eek:
Did you get any pictures of the town or the surrounding area where the cars are?

Tracy

I am not really putting out much info on the town to the world wide web. And even the names have been changed to protect the tin. But it is pretty much a ghost town.

Yep, I'll get them. I first went there to get some background shots of the Bonehead truck, but still have not gotten the pics I wanted. Looks like I'll be there about every other weekend for a while.

You guys thought this story was past the good part right? Nope, still getting better.
When I first met Mr. Serling, I asked him if he had ever built a hot rod. He told me no. He went on to say that he had a good friend who had maybe 100 cars and trucks stored in a building. Some were complete hot rods, some were restored, and some were basket cases. You know, this story in places seems a little far fetched even to me. I was thinking ,"wow ,that is a lot of cars, maybe it is an exageration". I didn't really put much more thought into it at the time. So a few weeks pass by and my phone rings. The caller identifies himself, and pauses as if I should know him. He explains that Mr. Serling is a really good friend of his and gave him my number. He goes on to say he has over 100 cars stored away. He says he has got some that need to be put together, and was wondering if I could do that. He says he has heard good things about my (Bonehead) truck. He goes on to tell me he has a full time mechanic taking care of his drivers, but the guy doesn't have time to build anything. So this new guy, Leno, (no that's not his real name) wants me to come by his place for the tour, and to let him know what I think. Yeah, I know, pictures would make this easier to swallow.

Bonehead, have you been there yet? I am now convinced. This is the best hot rod story ever and you have appropriately titled your thread.

I have not been yet, but I am supposed to bring my trailer. I will also bring my camera. He is quite a ways from my place, but I figure it is worth a little drive.

Went over to JL's place. 100 cars, no doubt. 65 that run 35 that are projects. pretty cool.

Attachments

• pj jl.jpg
    pj jl.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 344

Latest posts

Back