The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
800px-Rally_NCP_2-Seater_Racing_193.jpg

One with fenders!
777px-Rally_1931.jpg

Rally_NC_sport_1930.jpg

IMG_8545_edited.jpg

I finally found one parked next to something that I can use as a size referrence... a Bugatti! It does appear to be really close in proportions.

I dig the low headlights. It looks like a hot rodder got ahold of this one.

DSCN0482.jpg

DSCN0439.jpg

DSCN0440.jpg

I worked on the front half of the frame today. Really happy with what I came up with. The spaceframe is disguised as a 32 ford-ish frame. Wheelbase is longer than I originally planned, its gonna be 110" or so.

I took pictures as I went. I'll post them when I get home (dad has dial-up).

good looking pics of Rallys you have there, flipper......

glad to see you're still "plugging" along on this one....it will def. be a car to be proud of.....

looking forward to seeing those pics of progress.....[P

Here is where I started the day. A clean table from the firewall forward.

HPIM0954.jpg

I had to come up with an idea for a frame that would accept an IFS and look good fenderless. Follow along as I work through this thing and see what I finally came up with. ....all of the blue tube is 1.5"

HPIM0955.jpg

HPIM0957.jpg

HPIM0961.jpg

HPIM0983.jpg

HPIM0987.jpg

HPIM0992.jpg

Making a second top rail

HPIM0998.jpg

The lower control arm is going to be mounted on the straight piece that runs parrallel to the motor. The upper control arm is going to be mounted on top of the outer frame rail. The spring is going to be a 1933 ford transverse leaf spring.

i like that frame design! i was talking to bonehead not long ago about that , the difference in mine was i was going to use round tubing! cool, i ben think about doing some thing also like this but i was going to use 3/8 steel pencil rod for the body skelaton to attach the sheet metal to , then a sub frame of 1/2 x 1/2 square tubing fo support , then 1 x 1 for the floor frame! BUT THAT WAS WHEN I GOT RICH AND HAD MORE TIME TO DO IT!!!:D[cl

i like that frame design! i was talking to bonehead not long ago about that , the difference in mine was i was going to use round tubing! cool, i ben think about doing some thing also like this but i was going to use 3/8 steel pencil rod for the body skelaton to attach the sheet metal to , then a sub frame of 1/2 x 1/2 square tubing fo support , then 1 x 1 for the floor frame! BUT THAT WAS WHEN I GOT RICH AND HAD MORE TIME TO DO IT!!!:D[cl

Other than a decent parts car ($1000, but I got a lot of cool stuff for the $) we have almost NO other cash invested in this thing so far. It is being built out of stuff that was/should have been scrapped somebody else. The blue tubing used to be a big roll around cart from a factory that dad bought at an auction for $10 (for the tubing).

As far as the time thing goes, I need time away from it to work out the next step in my head. None of this thing has really been planned/drawn out. The arches for the frame were thought up this past Friday morning as I was walking to the shop!

Very interesting and graceful chassis design Flipper. I'm really looking forward to seeing the front suspension.

The arch serves a purpose, wanted my lower control arms to be longer than the uppers, but I couldn't figure out how to get the lower arms (as well as tie rods and springs) past the perimeter frame and out of the bodywork without a bunch of holes. It also gave me a natural looking place to attach the upper control arms (I don't care for 80's-90's smoothed over, hi-tech streetrods where the arms come out of the hood sides).

I'm anxious to see if I can pull the whole thing off.

.......i really like it-looks like alot of patience and work invloved in those curved frame rails but i like it-[cl

anyone who has been involved in artwork knows that "inspiration" comes when "it" wants to....the wise artist waits for it
(as you have, and continue to do):D

once again, looking good, will be waiting for more[P

I'm very anxious to see you're next group of pics you've kind of lost me on these. But what I can tell, it looks like you're really starting to figure it out. Sounds like you've got some definate plans, we all know you can do it just have patience and work on one problem at a time. Looking forward to more pics Thanks!!

Anybody have toughts on exhaust pipes?

The stock manifolds are already split and are very header-ish, but they point down. Exhaust pipes would go underneath the steering shaft and then exit the body. If I use the stock manifolds, I think I have 3 basic options:
1) merge into one pipe under the hood and exit through a hole in the famerail and run a single pipe down low on the body.
2) don't merge, run one through the frame, one above the frame like harley drag pipes
3) don't merge, run one through the frame, one above the frame and merge into a single pipe outside of the body

The other option is to ditch the factory manifolds and build headers.

This thing only will have a 210 cubic inch or so inline six in it so it doesn't NEED really big pipes.

Stock manifolds. FYI the tubing scraps between the framerails at the firewall are just spacers for mock-up.
HPIM0996.jpg

This car is close enough to use as an example for photoshops if anybody is so inclined.

117065124_e0d829326f_o.jpg

thats looking really good man, the front of the frame is well styled, great job

Your doing a nice job, Ive been following this build for a while, really like this sort of car. I've always thought this sort of exhaust was kinda classic for these sorts of cars:

gldt54.jpg

Regards,

Rev. D.

This project is really looking good. You have a good eye for style. For your exhaust I like your first idea. It seems in my mind to make the most sense to me. Particularly because, as you said, this engine won't need a lot of exhaust, but will also suit the look of this car. Can't wait to see more progress.

Latest posts

Back