The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow flipper.....i'll NEVER claim to "build" cars again--this is truly BUILDING a car!!! ---from SCRATCH!!![;) love the thought put into it, the attention to details, and how you have a vision for it all.......keep up the good work![cl

....don't father's love to see the kids show interest.......:cool::cool:

Thanks for the compliments, but I'm really not doing anything that hasn't been done before. I'm just taking other peoples ideas and placing them where they work for me. :)

I STILL haven't sketched the "car". ...probably because I am building the car out of "stuff" that dad has laying around. I dig around until I find something that looks like it may work/looks familiar.

Last edited:
I didn't get nearly as much done over Christmas shutdown as I had planned. Having a chest cold for about a week put a big dent in my plans. This made matters worse. ...the temp is 30 degrees in the shop.

HPIM1041.jpg

I did manage to get the passenger side i-beam welded up. I quit before it made it to A-arm status.

HPIM1042.jpg

HPIM1044.jpg

Since I pushed the wheelbase out to 109", I'm thinking about moving the motor forward and gaining some gas pedal room. (engine was moved back when I was shooting for 100" wheelbase).

What's cooler...foot room or the idea of engine set-back?

Foot room.

Look at the room in the toe box on this. Livin in luxury!!

PA41

Attachments

• 1928-Ford-Speedster-of-Greg-Cunningham-Side-Angle-Speed-1-1280x960.jpg
    1928-Ford-Speedster-of-Greg-Cunningham-Side-Angle-Speed-1-1280x960.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 64
I went looking through my early pics....when I did my original mock-up. My feet were completely behind the bell housing. Now they are beside the bell housing.

I lost a lot of foot room with the engine set back.

HPIM0571.jpg

Looks like I need to try sliding the engine way the hell forward again and see how things look.

Hey Flipper, I sure like where your going with your project..... WOW... very creative, totally out of the normal thinking... Oh I almost forgot to mention, I love the shape of your frame rails....... a nice sweeping arc.

Curt

totally digging the jag-illac speedster build!!!! keep up the good work on it!!!

BTW check out NWVS.ORG it's the web site for the north west vintage speedster club most of the cars are ford model A or T based but there are tons of boat tail and grill pix for insperational material

I thought I was going to work on my car this weekend, but sh!t happened.

Dad had a stroke on Friday.

We spent the whole weekend hanging out in the hospital with him. The good news is that he should make a 100% recovery.

He is the most active 71 year old that I have ever been around. He always used the excuse that if anything ever happened, he could use his cell phone to call for help. ...well he was under neath his toyota 4x4 designing a winch mount when it happened. When is left arm went limp, he floped over on his left side and trapped his cell phone that was in his left pocket!

Luckily he was able to pull himself to his feet and walk to the house where my mom was (he never was able to dig the phone out of his pocket with his right hand). She drove him to the hospital.

Word of advice to the old guys...keep your keys and phone where you can get to them with either hand!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your dad's stroke. So glad he will recover fully. I'm pretty close to his age and I can tell 'ya there's a little bit of anxiety regarding health that lots of us have.
Your Dad & I would probably be good friends because we have the same attitude.

Please convey my wishes for a speedy and complete recovery for him.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Going to the hospital seems to have been a wake up call for dad. He has been really acative since he got out.

Time to get on with beefing up the front so it can handle A-arms being attached. Started making boxing plates for my "front framerails". ......More cop car roll bar kick panels to the rescue.

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

Got another outer piece made for the passenger side. Not 100% sure about just having the flat sides between the arch and the firewall. The 6.5" framerail height looks very truck-like. I'm thinking about bead-rolling something in the side or something

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

the shape of the frame rails looks great.. i really think you nailed it...

Latest posts

Back