The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a real quick down and dirty edit, only have MSPaint at work....

This is what popped into my head first... I saw it either having the dump out just before the rear tire, or going under the rear axle, just thinking about a passenger and trying to keep the heat and such futher away from them.

exhaustmockup.jpg

Just a real quick down and dirty edit, only have MSPaint at work....

This is what popped into my head first... I saw it either having the dump out just before the rear tire, or going under the rear axle, just thinking about a passenger and trying to keep the heat and such futher away from them.

exhaustmockup.jpg

Getting the noise/heat as far away as possible is something to think about. If all goes well, I plan on driving this thing to Bonneville for speed week (as a spectator).

Getting the noise/heat as far away as possible is something to think about. If all goes well, I plan on driving this thing to Bonneville for speed week (as a spectator).

Could always just run it under the body... but I think popping it out the side would have a nice look to it. Maybe even wrap the exhaust with the clothe wrap to give it a neat look... Making the trip to Bonneville is on my bucket list for sure.

Could always just run it under the body... but I think popping it out the side would have a nice look to it. Maybe even wrap the exhaust with the clothe wrap to give it a neat look... Making the trip to Bonneville is on my bucket list for sure.

Something unique about this car is the flat bottom....since there is not going to be normal framerails under the body, there is not a convienient place to run pipes under the body. Interior should be nice and roomy though :)

Last edited:
Personally I'd go with 6, but I suppose two big collectors coming out with maybe a slash cut on them would look good too( Some internal baffles on them for sure. Only deal is it will tend to drop exhaust in front of the cabin wouldn't it?). Didn't know the bottom had a belly pan on those, thats cool!

Regards,

Rev. D.

I was kinda thinking along the same lines as Pistolpete. Except something like a Deusemburge. I know I didn't spell that right but you know what I mean. Spell check wouldn't even give me the correct spelling, am I that far off?

Didn't know the bottom had a belly pan on those, thats cool!

I don't think Rallys had belly pans, but mine will. They had real frames underneath and a very lightweight body....if you look close, the body is only one panel thick with very little support structure.

117065122_d2697ea88b_o.jpg

Last edited:
i finally found one parked next to something that i can use as a size referrence... A bugatti! It does appear to be really close in proportions.

I dig the low headlights. It looks like a hot rodder got ahold of this one.

dscn0482.jpg

dscn0439.jpg

dscn0440.jpg

i love this grill , any info on them

Last edited:
Got my frame rails mostly welded on and the center frame rails cut to length. There will be a round tube spreader bar installed at the very front. Still have to encase them in heavy sheetmetal.

HPIM1005.jpg

HPIM1006.jpg

HPIM1010.jpg

HPIM1009.jpg

And started on my front suspension.

I found a pretty cool raw material in the junk pile....Uni-strut. I like the factory punched, ebenly spaced oval lightening holes. I cut it down to 1 1/2 x 3/4 channel.

The round tubes that hold the bushings are tractor link bushings from TSC.

The tapered hole for the lower ball joint is from the jaguar parts car.

Way more work than I thought it would be. with all of the trial and error, it took two days for me to figure the first one out.

First I-beam
HPIM1011.jpg

donor tapered hole
HPIM1016.jpg

With tapered hole installed
HPIM1014.jpg

Turning it into an a-arm
HPIM1021.jpg

Making a unistrut gusset. This piece didn't have the lightening holes.
HPIM1023.jpg

Gusset welded in
HPIM1026.jpg

Tractor bushings cut down to size
HPIM1025.jpg

The rear bushing end got reinforcement...the holes line up too!
HPIM1027.jpg

My motor mounts showed up. I ordered 56 chevy V8 rubber biscuits from Rock Auto. The big ones were $.58 each and the small ones were $.54 each (I ordered 20 of each!....less than $33 to my door for all). I plan on using these everywhere I need a rubber mount.

HPIM1040.jpg

Somebody on another forum asked for dimensions of the mounts. I thought I'd post up here too.

small one p/n 2122 diameter: 1 1/2" height: 7/8"

big one p/n 2123 diameter: 2" height: 7/8"

Those control arms look great, next three should go a little faster don't you think? I hope you're daughter is tall otherwise leg room is going to be at a minimum. You're going to have to find a way yo show off that swoopy frontend its way too goodlooking to hide. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

wow flipper.....i'll NEVER claim to "build" cars again--this is truly BUILDING a car!!! ---from SCRATCH!!![;) love the thought put into it, the attention to details, and how you have a vision for it all.......keep up the good work![cl

....don't father's love to see the kids show interest.......:cool::cool:

Those control arms look great, next three should go a little faster don't you think? I hope you're daughter is tall otherwise leg room is going to be at a minimum. You're going to have to find a way yo show off that swoopy frontend its way too goodlooking to hide. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Leg room will be fine. Her feet were to anywhere close to where the pedals will be. It will have a really nice seating position. The spaceframe allows for a really low floor and the body sides will be thin too.

The front end will be out in the breeze. ...that is one of the reasons the front frame section is as swoopy as it is....to camoflage the fact that the car is a unibody with IFS.

Latest posts

Back