The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I want to graft into Roofus. The trans tunnel and the stock jag brake and clutch pedals.

IMG_0215-1.jpg

IMG_0218-1.jpg

Using the jag tunnel means the deep engine set-back is back. I cut out the tube that was under the bell housing.

IMG_0216-1.jpg

It looks more racecar to me.

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

The jag firewall has a whole lot of ugly that needs to be trimmed off.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225-1.jpg

It will wait until another weekend. I had to go watch basketball (Go UK!)

I think it would be worth using the tunnel, but not the firewall. It would look much nicer with a fresh sheetmetal as the firewall.

I think it would be worth using the tunnel, but not the firewall. It would look much nicer with a fresh sheetmetal as the firewall.

The jag is 56" wide as is. I only need the center 41" for roofus.

Still trying to decide if I keep well defined foot boxes or do a flat firewall with a deep recess for the engine.

That's the beauty, and the burden of building a car from scratch. You have to make a decision about every element. And you need to meld it into a pleasing total package. Big job, but I can tell you're up to it.

It would be nice if the project was close to home so you could work on it more often.

I think you should take the center section of the fire wall and the tunnel. then just fill in what you need to on the sides. trying to split all of the extra metal off the jag FW will be a bear. [P

I think you should take the center section of the fire wall and the tunnel. then just fill in what you need to on the sides. trying to split all of the extra metal off the jag FW will be a bear. [P

I've been thinking about it and I think that is the route I am going to take.

I plan on heading to dad's this weekend....maybe I can get it figured out.

Oh yeah, I also plan on puttin spacers under the frame on the build table so that I can drop the engine and trans a couple of inches in the chassis. Right now I am leaning towards a swoopy track nose instead of the upright 20's grill look.

maybe lower and lean backwards a jag style grille like on the 120's or something like it.

Attachments

• XK120_-_1948-54.jpg
    XK120_-_1948-54.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 11
Oh yeah, I also plan on puttin spacers under the frame on the build table so that I can drop the engine and trans a couple of inches in the chassis. Right now I am leaning towards a swoopy track nose instead of the upright 20's grill look.

That would look good....as long as you can get enough radiator in there.

thats cool. the other I was thinking of was a Cad Allard grille more squash shaped.

I think all we are doing is showing or love of all types of mechanical items!![cl

Attachments

• j2.jpg
    j2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 25
I think all we are doing is showing or love of all types of mechanical items!![cl

Yeah, it's hard to narrow down the cool stuff you want to copy. ...copy is probably the wrong word since this thing doesn't really look like anything that has ever been built before. I guess stuff to be inspired by is a better description of what I do.

I'm taking a couple days off of work to make this a four day weekend. I really hope I can make some real progress. Physically, I feel better than I have in a while. :)

Last edited:
I started trying to put the jag firewall inside of my boattail. Jag was at least a foot wider. A sawsall can fix that.

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244-1.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

Jag heater still fits
IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

No telling how many times I removed and installed the floor and/or engine this past weekend. I quit counting after 15 or so times.

IMG_0261.jpg

The pile of parts kept getting bigger and the floor/firewall got smaller.

IMG_0263.jpg

I decided I need to lower the motor to get the floor to fit better. First I had to install a crossmember unter the motor.

IMG_0264.jpg

Chassis spaced up 1.5" = motor lowered 1.5"

IMG_0265.jpg

Manifolds kit firewall now

IMG_0266.jpg

...and the radiator and steering want to fight over the same spot

IMG_0267.jpg

But the lower motor could allow a swoopier shape.

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

Latest posts

Back