The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally feel like digging in a getting some more work done. I'm getting over the whiplash pretty well. I'd say 90% gone.

I plan on going to dad's house next weekend come hell or high water. There should be new pictures soon!

I finally did something!

I mounted my front spring.

After a whole lot of looking, I decided the spring belonged close to the front of the crossmember.

IMG_0116.jpg

The fun started when I tried to figure out how to align the u-bolts. There isn't a straight line on my crossmember to use as a reference point.

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

Next issue was where the threads were on my bolts. I built a platform under the crossmember to have a nice flat surface to bolt to.

The lovely seam down the middle is where I had to adjust the hole location on the platform.

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good - I bet it feels good to be able to work on it again!

Saturday was a great day. I got to build something .....I've been NEEDING to do that for a while. The weather was nice too.

Working in the shop didn't seem to aggrivate the whiplash much. The ride to get to dad's house was much worse (potholes on I-40 are awful).

Last edited:
That looks good. I like it.

I really like the way the spring looks on the crossmember. I just hope that the spring in its current configuration is close to being the right spring rate. My guess is that I will have to pull leaves, but I hope not....the bottom leaf will need to end up being close to flat

looks good.

do you think youll have enough axle clearance when it is loaded?

Clearance where?

On the front, I don't think the a-arms can hit anything. If the spring flattens out the way it should, it should go under the arch in the frame just fine and will be held off of the a-arm by the shackle (perch will be at the end of the lower a-arm, near where ball joint connects to spindle).

In the rear, I don't have any idea if the axle will fit in the opening. I hope so.

alot of pages to look at, lol. i didnt recall you putting in a arms and not a solid front axle. you will have tons of room with the a arms.

I'm seriously thinking about cutting the firewall and transmission tunnel out of of the donor jag and grafting it into this car to make the registration process a little more legitimate.

Anybody think having jag sheetmetal in the center of the car would be worth the effort?

If the bends are asthetically pleasing then it could look "factory". Might be worth it. got any pics of the area in question?

Bag is packed. I'm heading to dad's after work today.

Don't know how long it will take to fillet a jag, but i'm sure it will be an ordeal. I will try and remember to take pics of the process.

I am going to save the jag roof too :)

It really didn't take long to harvest the jag pieces. A small generator and a sawsall helped.

another roof.
IMG_0183.jpg

now for the floor and firewall
IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0194-1.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

Guess what this was.

IMG_0197-1.jpg

IMG_0196-1.jpg

it is a 1958 Jaguar XK150S that my dad parted out in 1962 ....and then pushed into a ditch and covered with dirt (trying to control errosion). Sometime since then, it was washed back out and moved about 100 ft from where it was planted.
1251-11290785418-1.JPG

Latest posts

Back