The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea your behind is too big and too long. sweep it up a little and pull it in toward the cock pit a little more. [P

Still looking good. Oh and the alfa and the other racer had brooklyn windscreens on them. The half oval small wind screen one for each side.

My little car needs wheels and tires along the lines of this sweet little car! ...maybe a tad smaller on the rear.
IMG_3754.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

Baby's got Butt....

He likes big butt and you can't deny, .....sorry, won't go there......personally and for whatever it's worth....I think that sam fear's pic has the right proportions.....JMHO...

I stripped it down (body panels off and engine and trans removed) and rolled it on its side so I could weld up the bottom seams.

IMG_4421.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

I love the fish shape that the body has

IMG_4574.jpg

After I was done welding, I put the motor back.

IMG_4583.jpg

I really need to figure out floor supports

IMG_4581.jpg

I'm thinking about trying the Miller IFS again, but with more of a dipped/dropped look. ....almost as if the real miller arms were turned upside down. The upper arm would mount under the top frame rail.

IMG_0161.jpg

Haven't done anything to Roofus but did take the family to the beach.... and this happned.

Click on the pics for video

part 2

I ordered a set of balljoints for the front end. I guess I am going to take a swing at upper control arms after Christmas.

Last edited:
Here is where I was on the front suspension. I-beam lower control arm parallel to the ground, transverse leaf spring just above that, and jag spindles.

IMG_4599.jpg

The original plan when I started this build was somewhat parallel upper arm that attaches to the top of the frame rail.

IMG_4607.jpg

I'm not really feeling it. It takes away from the swoop.

Attaching to the side of the frame helps a little.

IMG_4613.jpg

The "way out there" alternative is the miller-ish, air-foil idea. Make a swoopy tube a-arm and shroud it in sheetmetal. The idea is to go under/around the frame rail with the upper arm. mounting point would be on the back side of the frame rail, up high. .....squint real hard and you might see it.

IMG_4606.jpg

I agree, Flipper, you need do do something innovative with the upper control arms. It's necessary to maintain the overall design and style of the project.

Will it be on the road this summer?

I agree, Flipper, you need do do something innovative with the upper control arms. It's necessary to maintain the overall design and style of the project.

Will it be on the road this summer?

It was supposed to be on the road two years ago....

The mock-up pieces are just there to suggest ideas for the upper arms profile. Real arms will have triangulation.

The curved tube idea is based on this cars suspension. The air foil "axle" is really the upper control arm.

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

My version would be more of a "dropped axle" and would be made of steel instead of cast aluminum.

This car has the same style suspension on both ends (IFS, IRS and FWD in 1935!)

Granatelli20Indy20car20Cincy201-8-0.jpg

I started the morning by swapping in the new balljoints.

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

gotta cut the bolts down.

IMG_4625.jpg

supporting the weight under the spindle shows what the extra leverage does to the spring rate. I gotta add some leaves back to the pack. The tire is going to be even farther outboard.

IMG_4626.jpg

I shimmed the ride height back up and bolted the hub on to get a more realistic picture of the a-arm's environment
IMG_4630.jpg

IMG_4629.jpg

IMG_4626.jpg

I was having a hard time explaining to dad what I wanted to do, so I broke out the posterboard. Think airplane wing as an upper a-arm.

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

it needs a ball joint pocket
IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

slimmer pocket , more front to back shape
IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

And pictures of my future tail lights (5" tractor headlights?). Paint the inside of the lens candy red and load it up with leds from a tractor-trailer light.

IMG_4619.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

Latest posts

Back