The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now to give it something to bolt to
IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

trimmed to sit on the X-brace
IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

test fit
IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

did the same thing for the other side
IMG_0440.jpg

I now have a mounted motor!

Now to test out my idea for using the Ford leafspring. I have no idea what sort of spring rate this car actually needs.

I bolted it to the crossmember and let the ends rest on the control arms
IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0443-1.jpg

too high and this thing was solid as ****! The weight of the jag and my fat ass on the crossmember didn't hardly budge it!

pull out a bunch of leaves
IMG_0446.jpg

better
IMG_0447.jpg

but still not much movement. you think the rust has any thing to do with that? ...duh!

IMG_0449.jpg

I cleaned up the leaves and greased everything up (and pulled one more leaf). ...lots better!
IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

I added some of the removed leaves to the bottom of the pack to raise the pack (lower the car)
IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

close enough until the car gets more weight. I'm sure I will have to fine tune it some more.

Looks good Flipper! I like the motor mounts. might want to drill a little 1/8" hole in the bottom to let any water that goes in the speed holes out. Front spring looks cool![P

After bouncing the car on the front spring, it sure was hard to not set it on the ground and bounce it on both ends at the same time. [dr

Before I get too carried away, I need to flip it over and weld the bottom sides of a lot of the joints.

Somebody on another site questioned my test of the spring rate. Do y'all have any input on the subject?

If i'm not misunderstanding your proposed suspension, the control arms will have a leveraging effect on the spring, and the strength of spring will have to be greater than what your trial setup indicates.

Dave Cameron

yes. Right now your spring is in a 1:1 ratio as in when you push the front end down 1" the spring moves 1". Then you are going to hook the A arm to the frame by the inner pivots. The spring will hit in the middle of the A arm and the tire will be out at the very end. Now when your tire moves up 1" at the end of your A arm your spring end will only move 1/2". You will generally need 2 times the spring rate to carry the same load due to mechanical advantage or fulcrum. Clear as mud? [cl

you can always chain the A arm pivot to the frame and then put your block spacer out at the ball joint end to re-test the rate

This thing is going to be awesome. I can hardly wait until it's done. Nice work, I'm loving watching the progress.
As for the spring rate, jfg455 is eright, you'll have more leverage on the spring when you get the front assembly put together.

I don't think it will have much (if any) more leverage than a standard beam axle!! The mounting points will be about the same from mount point to wheel with either set up!! That would be the leverage point! I think? ha ha[S

I wouldn't put the leaves back yet, just don't lose them. Is the spring going to be pushed up from the lower control arm or pulled up from the upper control arm?

Dave.

dtracy might be onto something. How cool would it be to have a long dogbone looking shackle going up to the upper arm? I think it would be cool!

get r done.

after watching overhaulin. we think if you work around the clock you should be close to a weeks worth of work. lol.

cant wait to see whats next

Latest posts

Back