Very minimal progress but....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stupid question

i have to ask..the rivets in the interior are called? i think blind rivets...the question is how do you get them flat on the back side..i know the head is rounded and its not like a pop rivet...do you have to hammer each and every rivet or do they make a tool to flatten them out??

Banjoman, Blind rivets are actually more commonly known as pop rivets. The rivets used for this project are called solid rivets. Some people refer to them as bucking rivets.

Check out this thread about the door panels that I made. It may help you some. http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86&highlight=door+panels

The rivets are in fact solid. There is a specific tool similar to an air chisel used for setting the rivets from the top, or external surface while a "buck" or other hard metal block is held agaist the backside of the rivet. The rivet is hammered flat on the backside using this method. As a tip, I just purchased the used installation bits for cheap off of ebay. They fit in a standard air chisel, but you MUST adjust the air pressure to the chisel so that it is LOW.
Here's a pic of the rivets and the bits for you.
I also just used a body dolly instad of the propper buck on the backside. I'm sure an air frame inspector would have a cow, but hey, I'm just making a hot rod interior. One more thing to add. It's a time consuming peoceess.

Latest posts

Back