What are the chances?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soltz

The Rat Captain
I have this dream of building something (don't know what but it is going to have a stright eight of some kind, (buick, pontiac, cad?)
Has any one seen one avalible in say the past 5 years.
I'm on the west coast and have had no luck finding even a boat anchore with 8 holes
My gramps told me "if you dream-dream big" :rolleyes:
Thanks and have a good day.
soltz

I know a guy sittin' on a rebuilt Buick I8. It was his dads project and he doesn't want it. I may buy it just because. Eventually I'll have something to put it in.

We had a complete, good running Pontiac straight eight we took out of my dad's 48 a few years back. We literally couldn't give the thing away. Nobody wanted it. We even put a "free engine" ad in the auto trader. The only caller wanted us to bring to him 300 miles away so that he could examine it first. We ended up scrapping it.

We had a complete, good running Pontiac straight eight we took out of my dad's 48 a few years back. We literally couldn't give the thing away. Nobody wanted it. We even put a "free engine" ad in the auto trader. The only caller wanted us to bring to him 300 miles away so that he could examine it first. We ended up scrapping it.

Haha, I believe it , Bill. I had a 50 Lincoln flathead V8 that was given to me by my buddy, when they swapped a sbc into the Lincoln. I dragged it around for a few years and finally got tired of tripping over it, so I put an ad in the local Pennysaver paper. NOT ONE CALL, so I put it on my trailer and took it to the scrap yard. Hated doing it, but some engines are just boat anchors.

I always love the guys who, after you get rid of something, say "Oh, Man, you should have told me about it, I would have bought it immediately !!!!!" Yeah, sure.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don

Packard made a lot of straight 8's, I've got a 49 288 ci one in my 'gonna use it someday' stock pile in my shed. The 356 ci Super 8 from the 40's are sought after as are the 9 main 327's from the early 50's. The largest and last Packard straight 8 was the 1954 359 ci, it came with an aluminum head and 4bbl carb.
It's probably easier to find a rust bucket car with a running engine than a decent engine on its own... then you would get the tranny and other misc parts to go with it.

Thanks guys, i guess the bottom line is just keep looking.
Sam_Fear, thanks at least i know someone has one.[cl
Have a good day and be safe, it's a crazy would out there.

found one not running in NC, only $145 but, shipping $400 +/-
I guess some you are trying to tell Caddy never made an I8? I guess i'm just a dummy.[P

Found a straight 8 for you, a 50 something pontiac, fully rebuilt and ready to go, never got used, $500, 3 speed trans to go with it for an additional $200.

Chances are great

Found one just 160 miles from home. 1936 series 40 233 cubic inch, 98 HP, wow. [cl
Now does anyone have any info on swapping out the old gear box for a new something automatic?
A shop manual would be great also. [P
Thanks for the help.

Rhynorock, thats cool i found one a little closer. [cl

Attachments

• 233 lf rear.JPG
    233 lf rear.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 13
Got Buick?

Everyone should work on a buick I-8 at least once in their life.
I know I'm getting old but 3 days to get a bell housing off?

No photo treakerie thats a lot for rocker arms and springs. [S

Still don't know what to put it in? But building its going to be fun. [P

Attachments

• Buick 005.JPG
    Buick 005.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Buick 007.JPG
    Buick 007.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Buick 008.JPG
    Buick 008.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Buick 010.JPG
    Buick 010.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 12
The only place to get trans adapters is Bendtsens, quality parts but pricey, as in $1,000. Lets you run chevy auto or manual transmission. You get all the parts you need so nothing else to buy .

When I removed my trans, it wasn't the bell that was the problem, it was the 30 bolts in the flywheel - really didn't expect that. 48 Olds Hydromatic.

Latest posts

Back