Who knows early Chevys? Advice needed...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Crankenstein

Rocket Surgeon
A friend of mine is considering a nice original 32 Chevy sedan for...excuse my language....what I expect will be a street rod project knowing him. It's complete, but 600 miles away so I haven't seen it in person. His questions to me, and mine to you are...

- Are the floors steel?
- Is it sensible to repair the wood structure if it's in good condition, or should it all be yarded out regardless?
- If the wood has to come out, how would you attack it? Blow it all apart, or square and brace the body and do it a section at time?

I realise the condition of the car will dictate a lot, but I expect to see a very complete car and don't want to disassemble the body if that is the wrong approach. My thinking is to measure the thing up, square and brace it while it's still on the chassis, then remove it and go to town with whatever it needs.

I need a better understanding of how these things are constructed, so any advice about wood framed cars would be appreciated.

I was looking a a couple 32 Chevy sedan when I got the Diamond T. I doubt any of the wood would be good. Most of the floor will be wood. The good part is it is pretty easy to gut out the wood in the body and replace it with tube steel. most of that can be done while in one peice. hope this helps.

Here is a manual that may answer some Q's

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/fisher/1931/index.htm
32fbsm003.jpg

Thanks guys, that was quick!

Thanks for the link snake, that's a big step in the right direction. I'm afraid I'll have to copy it, though. "The illustrations following give the correct name of each wood part and each metal panel, respectively. These should be memorized." Memorized, Ha! Not likely!

The guys pretty much nailed it, about the only sheet metal on the floor will be under the rear seats, there are wooden sills that mount to the frame, everything is built up from there. On my 34, I had to chisel out the wood in the upper frames of the doors, some of the sheet metal was assembled around it and the edges crimped so there was no other way to remove it. Many hours went into replacing the wood with steel, no wonder Fords are so much more common. One thing I have yet to deal with is mounting interior panels in the quarters, some wood will need to go back in for this. Also above the windows, around the roof to attach the headliner and the door tops, so on. All these areas were wood and upholstery panels and strips, etc., were easily tacked on originally.
Quite and industry and and a lot of talented labour went into these old wood framed bodies, like building furniture.

no wonder Fords are so much more common.

Blasphemy! Ford is a four letter word. Strip me bare, turn me upside-down and have a good long look at my birthmark. It reads, "Body By Fisher" :D

Kidding aside, I thank you for the input, men. I will take your good advice and inspect the car with a decent understanding of its construction. If my friend chooses to pursue the car, I fully expect to ride shotgun and I will update this thread with pictures of the subject.

After building my 29 chevy, I dont think I would do it again. Wood is a pain in the A** all the body parts are justed nailed on when the wood rots the pannels just fall off. I replaced 99% of the wood with steel its hard to get the body lines right.
I kept the parallel front springs but most people replace them with a ford frontend. When you drive it people who see your chevy would think its a ford anyway. Why go through all the trouble of the chevy wood bodys.

Doc, is Fisher your dads name [ddd

Uh, no, but he was a GM fanatic and an old cowhand. (But his legs not bowed and his face not tanned :D). I joke about the birthmark, but I might as well have one because I inherited his love for GM.

My friend is also a GM nut, which brings me back to the '32. Seems he is not crazy about the wood and has all but dismissed the idea. Actually, he's not crazy about the '32. What he really wants is a '37 or '38 Chevy coupe, but hasn't had any luck in this part of the world. Sedans yes, coupes not so easy.

Thanks anyhow for the education, guys. Good to know for future prospects, just not gonna happen with this one.

Latest posts

Back