"ya can't help some people" or ''l just don't understand the younger generation''

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
"ya can't help some people" or ''l just don't understand the younger generation''

l went to the local cruz'in last night and as always, had a good time. l ran into a longtime family friend.

l have known him since he was born, l was good friends with his mom years before he was around, he is now 3O. he has fantastic welding and fabricating skills.

he is always complaining he doesn't have his hot rod running, a 1962 ford truck short box stepside, that he has owned since he was 16. says he won't even start it till he has everything to do it. OK, that l kinda understand.

now the dilemma or somethings l'll never understand:

l had a chance to get this guy a free 1948 ford truck compete cab and bed with title, no frame or running gear. out back l have 1966 el camino frame that l would donate to the build along with just about anything else he needs, small block chevy motor, a tranny, odds & ends and a slot in my shop so he could get a short term rod going.

his answer, well l don't like IFS & it's not the right chassis & l really don't like chevy's and a dozen other excuses.

so if some gave you everything to do a rod, would you turn it down?

man, at 3O l wished l'd had that offer:eek: would'a been all over it.

Later [S

I'm twice his age and have been on the receiving end of free stuff that isn't my style. He would still have to invest his time and a minimum of another $1000-$1500 to have a car he isn't interested in. I understand.

And then some guys are afraid of the criticism that comes after completing something,or the disappointment that it didn't turn out to be all that was hoped for. Rat rods provide the solution for these issues. They are simply never finished. Works for me. :)

I answered a local add on Craigslist for a young guy (20s) looking for Rat Rodders, needed help with a 53 Chev he picked up onna trade.. I helped him thru a 12v conversion, tune up, Carb work.. Soon as it ran he put it back on Craigslist, Then Wouldn't return any calls and pretended He didn't know me.. Yer Welcome Dude.. LOL

It's a young guy thing. The grey ford on my "things that I drag home". good looking truck at 20' and ran ok (not the best but got around town good). When I got the truck I told my youngest boy (20) get a job I'll give you the truck. First came the "I don't want the drive a stick", fine I'll find a auto trans then came " and then I'll have to wait forever". Then I found a rebuilt motor and auto tranny and started the swap. Finaly after 6 month he went and got a job. Lasted 1 day, so the truck sits 80% done.

When I was 20 there would of been no way I would pass on a car.

skull, Sometimes there just isn't any answer :confused:
There maybe a day that he kicks his self in the rear and may or may not tell you how big a mistake he made :(

I have a house full of boys, From a 17yr old who wasen't even motivated enough to get his drivers licence.. Three 14 year olds who could care less what Custom Harley Or Rat Rod I'm out in the shop working on..There Goal is to not be late to the dinner table..

However my 9 Year old daughter who spent her first 7 years dodging bullets in the Hood.. Lives and breathes for The Bikes and Cars.. And now our 16 month old who will be left with some serious long term effects from his Crack Addiction at birth.. Is at his happiest, Strapped in his car seat Cruzin with Dad in the Rat Rod..

i help the kid across the street get a 53 caddy got it running and driving off a jug all it need was some tires and the gas tank cleaned out,, he would come over and crank it now and then rev the motor and cut it off,, he gave 400 bucks for it, and it was about ready for the road,, i came home one day and he sold it for 2000,, after i got it running and all he had to do was get tires and clean the tank!! he take the money and buys a sidekick!! takes it off road the first day and warps the frame so that he cant drive it,,, i asked him what hes gonna do,, its setting in his yard flat tires and still tore up! had a great classic car and threw it all away for a quick thrill in the mud! the truth todays is with all there is out there to offer,, kids are still making stupid choices!!!! hear and now mentality!![S

Their Goal is to not be late to the dinner table..

[cl

Sounds like the "kid" is too damn fussy, skull. Let me guess. The 62 is gonna be a showpiece and needs thousands of dollars to get it "right". He bounces around in a fantasy world and can't grasp the concept of building something from nothing. He has no desire or ambition to "build" a hot rod, he wants to assemble catalog parts and have Chip Foose paint it. Am I close?

Most kids I know (including my own son :mad:) like bikes and rods but can't be bothered to put the effort in. They want to "have" cool stuff but don't have the work ethic or dedication to create it. I know a few with good skills too, but they're too "busy" fingering their phones and keyboards.

I get the feeling we are a dying breed because the next generation looks pretty weak to me.

[cl

Sounds like the "kid" is too damn fussy, skull. Let me guess. The 62 is gonna be a showpiece and needs thousands of dollars to get it "right". He bounces around in a fantasy world and can't grasp the concept of building something from nothing. He has no desire or ambition to "build" a hot rod, he wants to assemble catalog parts and have Chip Foose paint it. Am I close?

Most kids I know (including my own son :mad:) like bikes and rods but can't be bothered to put the effort in. They want to "have" cool stuff but don't have the work ethic or dedication to create it. I know a few with good skills too, but they're too "busy" fingering their phones and keyboards.

I get the feeling we are a dying breed because the next generation looks pretty weak to me.

Too many glorification TV shows where in 3-4 shows a whole car is built... what they don't realize is that is with a full staff of 4-10 people working on the car, and a pretty much unlimited budget... The world is becoming a "I wan't it now" mentality... no concept of hard work gets it done...

son's truck

the sad part, the kid is good, he helped me do a lot of work on jimmy's truck, like the welding, some firewall work and C-notching the rear-end.

he is going to welding school and doing good, but like you said DR.C, he wants to put a ton of money in it he don't have. however, he does want to fab and build most of it himself, but no tools, welder. torches or a shop to do it in. hence the short term solution to the 10 year project 62 was to help put the 48 together, drive it and sell later to finance the 62. l could even be happy if he did that, or plan B as l call it.

l hate to see all talent wasted, waiting and just doing nothing to get himself a rod.:(

Later :cool:

It's a young guy thing. The grey ford on my "things that I drag home". good looking truck at 20' and ran ok (not the best but got around town good). When I got the truck I told my youngest boy (20) get a job I'll give you the truck. First came the "I don't want the drive a stick", fine I'll find a auto trans then came " and then I'll have to wait forever". Then I found a rebuilt motor and auto tranny and started the swap. Finaly after 6 month he went and got a job. Lasted 1 day, so the truck sits 80% done.

When I was 20 there would of been no way I would pass on a car.

Your son is 20 and has had a job for one day? Who buys his food and pays his rent?

Your son is 20 and has had a job for one day? Who buys his food and pays his rent?

I have no clue what went wrong with the boy, started working fast food at 14, moved out at 18, held a job till a year ago. Now I just can't get the boy to get on the ball. Thought the truck thing would work but nothing. Even dropped the get a job or get out but mama doesn't want her little baby out on the street. He11, I couldn't get the other one out till he was 22.

And like I tell everyone, no my wife doesn't need anymore kids so don't think about asking:eek:

help put the 48 together, drive it and sell later to finance the 62. l could even be happy if he did that, or plan B as l call it.

l hate to see all talent wasted, waiting and just doing nothing to get himself a rod.:(

Later :cool:

Did you actually propose that scenario? Be his partner in the project for money? If he waits until he has his own space and tools, he's got a pile of money to raise before he can touch the 62!

Did you actually propose that scenario? Be his partner in the project for money? If he waits until he has his own space and tools, he's got a pile of money to raise before he can touch the 62!

yep,told him l don't care if after he starts the 62 thens sell the 48 to get parts and pieces. he said if he can't have a rod the way he wants, ha ain't gonna do any rod. yet he complains every time we go that he don't have one:confused:

Later [S

yep,told him l don't care if after he starts the 62 thens sell the 48 to get parts and pieces. he said if he can't have a rod the way he wants, ha ain't gonna do any rod. yet he complains every time we go that he don't have one:confused:

Later [S

They say you can't help people who won't help themselves. I guess he's one of those people. At this point, I'd have to say, "Stop yer snivellin'!" and offer a slap on the head.

Contrary to popular belief, the hot rod fairy doesn't exist. Moaning and crying doesn't make him appear with bag full of money and a hero T-shirt. The sooner he realises that, the sooner his dream becomes reality. Work on him if you think there's any hope. We all do things we don't like so we can do the things we do like.

Later [S
Tell him he does have one and to quit his bitching because he's the only thing standing between having a rod or not. Make him accountable for his actions....or lack of action.

Latest posts

Back