1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like government officials are just as efficient in Canada as they are in the states.

You got that right, last Wednesday they sent an inspector out, really nice guy we talked for 10 or 15 minutes outside the shop, then he said let go look at this car.
Well that's here the problems starts, the first thing he says on first glance is "this isn't a kit car" I looked at him and said who told you it was a kit car!!! Turns out he has only been doing this for a year and has never seen anything like it[S So he looked it over real good, was very impressed, took a mess of pictures and said he would go back to his boss who's has been at this for 20 plus years, and get back to me this week.[P[P

I haven't posted about this till now cuz I needed some time

In the mean time I have been working on my budget air ride control. Started out with a free old 1800psi C02 fire extinquisher for my air tank.

At the top I manifolded my air-in and out, pressure switch for the compressor and a tank pressure gauge. Air into the tank is a schraider valve in case I need to air it up due to compressor failure.

Drain is from a big rig to get rid of the moisture.

Cab mounted controls are a couple of pistol grip tire inflators mounted to custom build manifold.

Tank mounted, just have to make some hold down straps.

Aired up, checking for leaks.

You got that right, last Wednesday they sent an inspector out, really nice guy we talked for 10 or 15 minutes outside the shop, then he said let go look at this car.
Well that's here the problems starts, the first thing he says on first glance is "this isn't a kit car" I looked at him and said who told you it was a kit car!!! Turns out he has only been doing this for a year and has never seen anything like it[S So he looked it over real good, was very impressed, took a mess of pictures and said he would go back to his boss who's has been at this for 20 plus years, and get back to me this week.[P[P

I haven't posted about this till now cuz I needed some time

I've been waiting to see the out come of the inspector visit as I am also curious about how things will go for me when I get to that stage.
Hopefully all ends up going well for you. I have heard a couple horror stories that started out the way your inspection has, I can understand the need to take some time. I'm rooting for you at any rate and looking forward to see how you make out.

I've been waiting to see the out come of the inspector visit as I am also curious about how things will go for me when I get to that stage.
Hopefully all ends up going well for you. I have heard a couple horror stories that started out the way your inspection has, I can understand the need to take some time. I'm rooting for you at any rate and looking forward to see how you make out.

Thanks Gunz, hoping to hear something today or tomorrow, I'm pretty sure they are going to make me put fenders on it:mad: other than that I think he was okay with everything.

Using the pistol grip inflaters for your valves is killer!!![cl[cl[cl I am wondering though how you intend to deal with deflating and also why you only have 2 valves instead of 4. You are bagged all the way around right?

Using the pistol grip inflaters for your valves is killer!!![cl[cl[cl I am wondering though how you intend to deal with deflating and also why you only have 2 valves instead of 4. You are bagged all the way around right?

Thanks willyD, the inflaters also have a release on the side to drop the bags. Yes I am bagged all the way around, I have the two front and two rear bags on each valve.

Cool. How do you intend to keep the air separated side to side. From everything that I have read, you really aren't supposed to have a path for air to move from the bags on one side to the bags on the other as you can get dangerous levels of body roll as you go around a corner since the pressure is significantly different on the two sides while cornering. I've never set up a full bag system so I don't know if this is really a concern or if it's just another thing that I read online that isn't nearly as important as it was made out to be. It does seem to make sense when I think about it though.

Cool. How do you intend to keep the air separated side to side. From everything that I have read, you really aren't supposed to have a path for air to move from the bags on one side to the bags on the other as you can get dangerous levels of body roll as you go around a corner since the pressure is significantly different on the two sides while cornering. I've never set up a full bag system so I don't know if this is really a concern or if it's just another thing that I read online that isn't nearly as important as it was made out to be. It does seem to make sense when I think about it though.

Way to burst my bubble there willyD, just kidding[S I had read a little bit about what you are talking about, and other than straight up and down my street have not done any cornering with the car to test it out. I may have to look into a different method if there is a problem.
Thanks for the info.

Way to burst my bubble there willyD, just kidding[S I had read a little bit about what you are talking about, and other than straight up and down my street have not done any cornering with the car to test it out. I may have to look into a different method if there is a problem.
Thanks for the info.

All i know for sure.. is [S
My peterbilt is front to back with the air lines to the bags.
I think willyD. Is right.
Pulling a liquid tanker.. i don't think i would want any body roll at all...[S
It's bad enough, with zero baffles.

All i know for sure.. is [S
My peterbilt is front to back with the air lines to the bags.
I think willyD. Is right.
Pulling a liquid tanker.. i don't think i would want any body roll at all...[S
It's bad enough, with zero baffles.

I hear ya peabody, I haul propane for a living, but my Pete doesn't roll and it is not individual lines

I guess that if you notice a problem with it, all you really have to do is add two more air guns to your setup or put a ball valve in one front and one back line so you can open it them, air it up, then close them to block side to side exchange. Then you just open them again to air out...

Latest posts

Back