1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks man.. body work is new to me..

im really dying to dig the frame out and start mocking up the engine/grill/ bed (still need one).. but i told myself to knock out the majority of the body work first.. which still includes taking 2" maybe 2.5 out of the top.

I saved a really cool old tank from heading to the scrap yard. It was in a house built in the late 1800's that my dads friend was getting ready to put up for sale.. it was in the rafters in the attic. But i believe it to be part of the origonal water for the house. Its rivited construction.. has a brass and glass sight tube.. ill have to post up some pictures.. it says its 32 gal...

Hey,You are doing a real nice job on that cab. Keep at it and you will get er done.

Thanks man.. its coming out pretty well.. im still torn on painting it or running the steel cleared.. life would be a lot easier if i paint it.. i could hide alot with a skim coat of bondo in a few spots

I feel like im taking way to long to build this thing.. i mean look how many pages my build thread is..i must be slow

Heres the tank Pictures arent too great It has a full seam of rivits on one side that runs the length of the tank
Tank2.jpg

This is the brass and glass site tube.. its really ornate.. and has a petcock on the one end. If I shorten the set up I could mount it to the side of the tank. Just need to come up with some sort of plastic tube that wont be hazed by the gas
Tank1.jpg

I also have this.. i picked this up a few months back randomly at an antique store.. i think it was like 12 bucks.. way to cool to pass up. Its a mechanical fuel gauge it has a gear at the bottom and a drive shaft that runs up the length of it that operates the two sided gauge... the float is even adjustable...

Any body seen one of these before know what its from? It says something about automobile gauge on the top stamped in a brass piece.. I havent cleaned it yet so i cant really read it

Maybe I will just hold this for the next project.. or maybe i will run them both..
Gauge1.jpg

gauge2.jpg

Thanks man.. its coming out pretty well.. im still torn on painting it or running the steel cleared.. life would be a lot easier if i paint it.. i could hide alot with a skim coat of bondo in a few spots

I feel like im taking way to long to build this thing.. i mean look how many pages my build thread is..i must be slow

Pick a color that you like and paint it. My Pontiac is still in mock up. So you are faster than me. My problem is I take on cutomer work at home and my stuff never gets done.

That tank is killer, I think you're biggest challenge will be how to make it look right mounted vertically so the sight tube works. Too bad you don't have two of them, one for each side.

Tanks got to go sideways.. i will just relocate and shorten the sight tube.. The tank is pretty long I may have to shorten it a few inches.... even if i dont i need to cut it open.. there is lots of sediment inside...

Last edited:
Little update.. finished the surgery on the rear of the truck, So now i have basically rebuilt the whole lower portion of the truck... floor.. lower cowl, rockers, rear corners, and now the rear skin Im going to make a skeleton to support the skin before i finish welding it up.. then i can finally chop it... each day i work on it.. i fall further and further behind schedule

Repairedrearskin.jpg

"each day i work on it.. i fall further and further behind schedule".

Maybe so, but each time you show us pics it looks better! I keep telling myself that a hobby shouldn't have a schedule - that's because my 3 month project is now a year and 3 months behind schedule.

The sheet metal "surgery" looks great. I can't wait to see the cab on the frame. :)

I love the mechanical fuel gauge. I'm thinking of replicating it. All it would really take is a set of bevel gears.

"each day i work on it.. i fall further and further behind schedule".

Maybe so, but each time you show us pics it looks better! I keep telling myself that a hobby shouldn't have a schedule - that's because my 3 month project is now a year and 3 months behind schedule.

Thanks DJ, I think im so far behind where I should be in my head just because I cant cut corners.. I want it done to the best of my ability and when I first started this project my mindset was different...

looking good.

did you ever have a r.t.d.?

road test date

No I cant say I had one of those.. but I really am hoping for a full roller by end of august, now that I say that.. im sure i wont make it... haha

The sheet metal "surgery" looks great. I can't wait to see the cab on the frame. :)

Thanks, more surgery is scheduled for this week.. !

I love the mechanical fuel gauge. I'm thinking of replicating it. All it would really take is a set of bevel gears.

Thats basically what its got going on at the end of the shaft... I can snap a pic of the end if u want.. its just a cool piece.. (well thats what I think anyway)

don't worry about the time to build--building it right is what you want, more than "finished" i've still got little things to do to my ongoing 10 yr - project 46 ford,

at the rate i'm going i seriously doubt i'll ever do another one that's "so far gone"

keep up the good work--looking good:cool:

when asked, I say 2032 is when all projects will be done. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it! [cl

Thanks Guys im still pushing on it the best i can

Here goes nothing...
CHOPLayout.jpg

Wish me Luck
CHOP2.jpg

Unfortunately i will be out of town this weekend.. so.. it will have to be a roadster for a few days

Allright chop experts, Please see below pictures... im pretty sure if i make the cuts in the picture shown in red.. i can line everything back up without cutting the roof in half... what do u guys think..

I also do have the front half of the other roof that i could use.. im planning on striping the paint on that tonight to see what i have... therefore if i do split the roof instead of adding a filler strip i will just use the front from the one cab and graft it to the rear of the other and only have 1 seam to weld up instead of two...

Which route would u guys go???
ChopMockUp.jpg

APillar.jpg

CutLines.jpg

I've never done this before, but if it were, I would cut the roof in half and add a strip to the middle rather than doing the pie cuts on the A-pillars. It seems to me as if you do the pie cuts, you might end up with weird looking curves where the top sections meet the bottom sections, especially on the doors.

Latest posts

Back