1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm certainly no expert, but I'm pretty sure that the windshield needs to be in one plane - glass doesn't bend too well. Just something to think about if you do the pie cuts. Of course, you already knew that.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Well i know its possible on my cab to do it without stretching the roof.. im just not real confident in doing it..

The donor roof i have is really in bad shape.. so im at a loss as to what im going to do.. but i have the day off tomorrow.. so i guess i better decide in my sleep

Here are a few pics i have of a 36-38 cab chopped without stretching the roof
Chopexample1.jpg

Chopexample3.jpg

Chopexample2.jpg

Hey Corpo I did my 36 like the one above, I think it was alot less work and you cant even tell that the window is angled back a hair more. thats my 2 cents. Its looking real good by the way.

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 120
I'm thinking you need to split the difference and bend the pillars attached to the body back just as much as you pull the pillars still attached to the roof forwards.

One of the pics you posted looks like it has had relief cuts welded back in and sanded down close to the line of the dash.

Your truck looks great BTW. Came up plenty solid with all the timber stripped out of it.

Thanks 34 for the confidance booster

Thanks wendle, that's what I'm doing... I had a few ideas of my own to try out... So I took inspiration from the pics and I'm going my own route

I have most of the roof tacked in... Haven't started on the door tops yet... Had to stop and eat... I'm going to hit it for a few more hours tonight...

Going to finish tackin the a pillars and if all goes well start on the door tops

Allright guys.. heres how it went..

I sleeved the a pillar joints and the door joints as well (this is the roof section upside down

sleevedroofpilar.jpg

Here you can kinda see how I cut the cowl portion of the a pillar... I cut basically an L, you can also see the slice in the roof
apillarinplace.jpg

This is the cuts to re-arch the door tops, the passenger door top came out a little better than this one.. but this isnt bad.. the gap is just a little tight at the corner.. but when i adjust the door it will be fine.. it still opens and closes just fine.. in fact when I put the drip rails back on you wont be able to see it
Rearcheddoortops.jpg

Last edited:
heres the a pillar welded up and cleaned up
grounddownpillar.jpg

and just a couple of shots.. it took me forever to get it welded.. in fact i still havent finished the doors.. i do need to do a little hammer and dolly work on the one back corner to get it out just a hair.. but overall for a first chop I think it came out really good. I think the perportions are good as well.. I think most guys would have taken more than the 2" but the windshield is allready going to be plenty small should be 8" in the center when the window frame is back in

2inchchopsidewindow.jpg

chop.jpg

Looks great! How much did you take off?

Thanks man.. felt like I got something accomplished by chopping the top.... I took 2" out

Did you cut the front and the back the same amount? I like the wedge shaped side windows. The chop looks just right.

Yep same 2" front and rear... the truck naturally has the wedge look going on... i suppose the way i chopped it.. the front might be slightly lower due to the stretching.. but it wouldn't be much.. probably like 1/8"-1/4" at most

Looks good. Like the cut.
Thanks

I need to rent a trailer to go grab the frame and drop the cab on and set the motor in... I just hate waisting money on trailer rentals.. i need to buy one, or become good friends with someone who has one

Updates... i was pretty excited so bare with me i took a ton of pictures... ill try not to post to many

IMG_2205.jpg

I layed the top of the grill shell up there.. i think it will need to go back a bit more
IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

It was nice to stand back and see it from a distance for once
IMG_2214.jpg

this front wheel is bigger than it should be.. its the same diameter as the rears... 3 in taller than the other front
IMG_2215.jpg

Back in the garage aired out.. the pics in the grass it was up about 3" of ground clearance.. it can get up to 6"
IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

tell me what you guys think...

On the agenda for the week is get the motor set in...

Very nice! Makes all that planning and work worth it, just to be able to see it come together. Kind of gives you a second wind to take on the rest of the (detail) work to get it finished and drive it.

Truly an exceptional build. One of my 3 favorites. Love those duallies. Thanks for the progress pics.

Latest posts

Back