1949 Bentley Boattail Speedster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA41

I've always been a fan of the big Duesenbergs, and Packard and Auburn Speedsters. I've never seen one other than a pic, and I think its unlikely the Mormon Meteor is gonna roll up my driveway, so about the only way to see and drive one is build my own.

All the ideas and inspiration has come off the web--mostly from the posts here from the folks from the tripple R.

I've been following Flippers Boattail thread, and was eyeballing a 38 Buick I traded a 4 wheeler trailer for as a boattail donor and came up with a tail something like the 35 Auburn, just needed a car to stick it on. Sammy from the KB has been offering to sell his Bentley body for a while with no takers, and it had the long hood and clamshell front fenders. I have a Turbocharged 350 SBC powered, Glass 29 A coupe that I built but never liked.

Pics--The Buick boattail from the top of a 38 4 door sedan. The Bentley from Sammy in Texas ($1000). The 29 A chasis donor with old RayJay SBC. towing turbo setup.

My shop is a little (34X16) junky rat hole, and I don't get too good pix in it. I often never really know what a car is really going to look like till I get it out in the yard.. I'm not able to step back and look at it good.. Forgive the mess--its just me..

I've been working a couple months on this so far and hope to get it out in a couple more--roughed in and running--(maybe too optimistic).

PA41

Attachments

• bentleybuild 005.jpg
    bentleybuild 005.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 160
  • bentleybuild 013.jpg
    bentleybuild 013.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 250
  • bentleybuild 011.jpg
    bentleybuild 011.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 208
  • bentleybuild 012.jpg
    bentleybuild 012.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 211
UhOh-- A sawsall and and a once classy old Bentley and a Red Neck that 'ain't got no respect'.

I love the sound of a sawsall on a car body--Sounds like --- Victory..

:)

PA41

Attachments

• bentleybuild 025.jpg
    bentleybuild 025.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 109
  • bentleybuild 017.jpg
    bentleybuild 017.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 112
  • bentleybuild 019.jpg
    bentleybuild 019.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 101
  • bentleybuild 035.jpg
    bentleybuild 035.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 128
Lots of chopped up pieces where a car once was-- I Really like the fenders--they called the 'Razors' I guess from the sharp edge on them. Artsy..It has stock suicide front doors--Like the 35 Auburn.

The car is a Bentley Mark 6 Standard steel Saloon, Made appx 4000 + from the late 40s till early 50s. The Rolls Silver Mist is the RR Version--appx 500 made. The biggest difference between the two is the grill and the squared hood sides of the Rolls.

PA41

Attachments

• bentleybuild 038.jpg
    bentleybuild 038.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 73
  • bentleybuild 070.jpg
    bentleybuild 070.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 70
  • bentleybuild 039.jpg
    bentleybuild 039.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 88
  • bentleybuild 019.jpg
    bentleybuild 019.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 80
I had to restructure the cockpit/cab area to reinforce it to allow me to cut the top away for the convertable. The old gal was really getting bad--had to build a U of 1"x3" reinforcing the doorpost-rockers-windshield post.

Will leave the roof section on till I get the body mounted and tie the back door posts together.

PA41

Attachments

• bentleybuild 058.jpg
    bentleybuild 058.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 76
  • bentleybuild 060.jpg
    bentleybuild 060.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 59
Got the 29 frame donor in and stripped the body off--Dude was heavy--Nice to have a hoist..

Had to put in a 20" frame piece to the get the 128" wheel base of the Auburn that I'm trying to use as a proportion model. Built a new driveshaft, and repositioned the rear coilovers so I can drop the tail down if needed.

PA41

Attachments

• bentleybuild 071.jpg
    bentleybuild 071.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 100
  • bentleybuild 082.jpg
    bentleybuild 082.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 80
  • bentleybuild 081.jpg
    bentleybuild 081.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 78
PA,

You've been brainstorming this one for awhile...

MAN, but I CAN"T WAIT TO SEE WHERE THIS IS GOING!!!:cool:[P:cool:[P

Regards,
Shea:)

Yo Shea--I'm with you, I am looking forward to how-or IF-this comes out. I had a pretty good weekend, and decided it was gonna make, so thought I't thread it-- (TVs out too )

More comming.

PA41

Mounted the cockpit on the frame--will cut the top off after I lock it down in the right place and tie the back together.

Did a lot of parts fitting, got the shiney wheels off and replaced them with a $100 set of steels with matching used 215x70--(the closest I could find that'd fit under the rear fenders.--Drilled and tapped them for a set of discs I have.

PA41

Attachments

• bentleybuild 098.jpg
    bentleybuild 098.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 107
  • bentleybuild 101.jpg
    bentleybuild 101.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 157
  • bentleybuild 110.jpg
    bentleybuild 110.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 104
  • bentleybuild 105.jpg
    bentleybuild 105.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 113
I sprayed the parts with some flat black that was shiney, so re sprayed flatt. The rust and flaking paint was even hard for me to see the body lines.

Mounted the cab and front fenders down pretty solid and Stacked some more tin. I have 38 Buick Rad shell that would work kinda pointy though, and also a Tractor grill that might be sliced and diced up to be made to work, (kind a Coffin nose)--Not sure about eather--A Real Bentley grill is ONLY $2000!!

I like those front fenders--Some designer deserves a belated (60 years) Attaboy!!

PA41

Attachments

• bentleybuild 129.jpg
    bentleybuild 129.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 184
  • bentleybuild 131.jpg
    bentleybuild 131.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 132
  • bentleybuild 135.jpg
    bentleybuild 135.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 270
  • bentleybuild 133.jpg
    bentleybuild 133.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 148
  • bentleybuild 138.jpg
    bentleybuild 138.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 151
These pics are the ones where I realized it'd make a Boattail! Kinda hard to see, but the dog will hunt...

I tacked a rear fender on to get the perspective--the inner fenders will just come at about a 45 off the 'razor' ridge and meet the sidewalls of the tail.

I might get a little more done, but plan to have nose surgery next week, and might not get too much done for a while till I can breathe..

More later..

PA41

Attachments

• bentleybuild 121.jpg
    bentleybuild 121.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 125
  • bentleybuild 126.jpg
    bentleybuild 126.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 95
  • bentleybuild 125.jpg
    bentleybuild 125.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 102
  • bentleybuild 128.jpg
    bentleybuild 128.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 7b7ec45474ca43609e5eb9a14b9fb572.jpg
    7b7ec45474ca43609e5eb9a14b9fb572.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 150
[cl I was hoping you would get a thread started for this PA. :)

Yeah--I've been slow posting the project. I finally got convinced it would make when I stacked the 'boattail' on it yesterday..

I've made quite a few false starts, (and a few finishes that never shoulda been). I was watching that Dancin show and that gal with 8 kids was showing her a$$ in front of 40 Million people, and she kinda motivated me. I figger if this tanks, only a couple hundred folks might see it, and I'll just claim I was Drunk :) . (Maybe that gal was drunk?) I usta think I could dance after a few--not a bad singer eaither...

PA41

That is looking great! Man I wish I lived closer - I woulda drove 3+ hrs to help ya.

Maybe take a look at a 36 Cord. That's what that tractor grill makes it look more like. Squared-off kinda. I'd go with the other grill - maybe cut it and lean the center pillar back about 4".

WOW! that was quick! seems like last week you cut that Buick roof off.
I'm like'n it alot! Wish I could make that much progress that fast.
Now about that A-body???????????

Keep on [;) and show'n the progress

WOW man, looks great! Very Original! With the rear, are there any plans to make it more pointed like a boat tail, It seems a little flat at the point. It could be the way the photos are taken. I like the tractor grill, a little slice and dice it will fit! [ddev

Keep us posted!

[cl:D

I like the pointy buick grill.... with the peaks in the fenders it looks natural. I think it has the potential to look better than a stock Rolls.

Maybe section about two inches out of the grill so that the nose drops down a tad ahead of the hood. You know its going to take something a lot bigger than a SBC to fill that hood, don't you?

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back