1952 Ford F3

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratrod94

I'm Selling my 81 if everything goes right I am getting this 52 Ford F3. It has a Flat Head that i think is loose. 4 speed with a PTO. I've had my eye on it for a while but. i didnt really get too excited til now. I'm getting a 360 Ford C6 Auto with it. Will the 360 hook up with the original 4 speed? i wouldnt mind keeping the PTO. But any way. Here is a pic of it. and the engine. My plans are to either try to get the flat head running if i can or Put the 360 in it clean everything up and just drive it like it is. Make everything Reliable but look as nasty as it does and Age Sanford and Sons Salvage on it :D

Attachments

• 1122121448a.jpg
    1122121448a.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 3E83Lc3Jf5Nc5L65Kdd4ldd22b9aac7ca1920.jpg
    3E83Lc3Jf5Nc5L65Kdd4ldd22b9aac7ca1920.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Look forward to your build. You might be able to get an adapter for the transmission. What is your build plan?

My build plan is leave the body the way it is. and either try to get the flat head in it running and keep the PTO or go with the 360 and C6 it comeswith and get rid of the PTO. i personally think its beautiful the way it looks body wise.How do you think a California front end would do on this? I have all the stuff i'd need to build my own.

Attachments

• 27a. Side View.jpg
    27a. Side View.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Tilt Front end would be cool. I would try to get the flatty to run even if you pull it for the 360. Better value if you decide to sell it and can add some details to the sale such as running flathead,oil pressure, compression,ect.

I also agree on not chopping it. These cabs look great as they are. I thought long and hard before I chopped mine but my build is going in a different direction than yours.
Good luck and I hope that it happens for you.
Torchie.

Hi Ratrod94, You are in a dilemma, flathead or FE, PTO or not. I put an FE in an old Ford one ton in the early '80's. The automatic had to go so I changed it over to a four speed with PTO. I found a bellhousing and transmission from the late '60's that fit right on, and a PTO that also fit. My mistake was assuming that all Ford pilot bearings were the same size [mine had a bigger ID than the clutch shaft points OD]. The clutch shaft wouldn't stay centred when you stepped on the clutch, and would shudder everytime you took off. Here's some very nice FE tappet covers that I had chromed and never got back on the truck before it went puftttt.:( oh dang, I can't pull that pic over.

Attachments

• diameter of pilotshaft.jpg
    diameter of pilotshaft.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 19
  • measure pilot hole.jpg
    measure pilot hole.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
picture

Hi again. I went to the shop and took another picture of the tappet covers that I bragged about. They are off of a Mercury factory stroker 390, called a 410, [a 428 crankshaft in a 390].
The old flathead transmission will have half of the bellhousing molded into the trans case I think, at least the older ones did, and you will have to find an adapter to go from that half bell to the FE block, if you want to put the old transmission on the back of the 360 FE. Keep on tinkering.

Attachments

• chrome FE valve covers.jpg
    chrome FE valve covers.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 23
Well. I've been thinking long and hard about this. and I like the 52 more then the 62. I'm thinking about just making the 62 a Donor for the 52. Here are some more pics. I wonder how much i could get out of the Flat head and 4 speed in the 52. The cab and front clip on the 62? any ideas?

Attachments

• 52 ford 018.JPG
    52 ford 018.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 52 ford 019.JPG
    52 ford 019.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 52 ford 020.JPG
    52 ford 020.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 12
  • 52 ford 021.JPG
    52 ford 021.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 52 ford 022.JPG
    52 ford 022.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 13
  • 52 ford 023.JPG
    52 ford 023.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 52 ford 024.JPG
    52 ford 024.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 15
As I posted earlier you will get more for the engine if you can show that it runs.

Flatheads that do not run go for whatever you can get for them. Realistic prices for unproven ones start at $200-$300.May top out at $500 if someone falls in love with it. You will see them higher but I have also got them for less. If you can get it running then I would think around $650 and up.
Check some of the other sites on the internet for pricing. I check E-pay just to see what prices things aren't selling for.

2 big problems with the flathead. Many of them have cracked blocks. Some of which can be repired. Some not. First thing that has to be done is to pull the heads and visualy look for cracks. Also the cost of rebuilding has become expensive as well. It is not unheard of to spend $5000 on rebuilding even a stock one. But that price will depend on what you can do yourself. Plus not every shop can do a good job rebuilding as they have some peculiaritys.

As for the trans. Most of those big old heavy duty 4 spds go for scrap. They are geared so low as to make driving at anything above 50 MPH a real chore. You might get lucky and find a restorer that needs one.

The 8ba motor in your truck has a seperate bell housing from the block much like a newer type engine. My advice would be to switch over your entire drive line. Engine,trans and rear end if this is something that you plan on driving a lot
Hope this helps you out.
Torchie

As I posted earlier you will get more for the engine if you can show that it runs.

Flatheads that do not run go for whatever you can get for them. Realistic prices for unproven ones start at $200-$300.May top out at $500 if someone falls in love with it. You will see them higher but I have also got them for less. If you can get it running then I would think around $650 and up.
Check some of the other sites on the internet for pricing. I check E-pay just to see what prices things aren't selling for.

2 big problems with the flathead. Many of them have cracked blocks. Some of which can be repired. Some not. First thing that has to be done is to pull the heads and visualy look for cracks. Also the cost of rebuilding has become expensive as well. It is not unheard of to spend $5000 on rebuilding even a stock one. But that price will depend on what you can do yourself. Plus not every shop can do a good job rebuilding as they have some peculiaritys.

As for the trans. Most of those big old heavy duty 4 spds go for scrap. They are geared so low as to make driving at anything above 50 MPH a real chore. You might get lucky and find a restorer that needs one.

The 8ba motor in your truck has a seperate bell housing from the block much like a newer type engine. My advice would be to switch over your entire drive line. Engine,trans and rear end if this is something that you plan on driving a lot
Hope this helps you out.
Torchie

How hard would it be to put the front suspension from the 62 On the 52? since im changing rear end i'd like athe front to be 5Lug aswell

Hi Rr94, In '62, Ford still wasn't using the twin I beams yet, I don't think, so your '62 will have a straight axle. The spring perches will probably be too far apart [measure them] and the hub to hub width might be also too wide, [measure this also]. Then go ahead and dream up a solution to those little surmountable problems. I'm liking the 292 idea. [Y-blocks rule]. pics please. Keep on tinkering.

As i am not that familar with the front suspension on the 62 .I think taht they were still single beam. You might look at putting F-1 front drums and backing plates on your truck. That would most likely give you the same Pattern as your newer rear drums. The big question would be wether or not they will work with your F3 axle and spindles. Could be the F3 axle is heavier and that swap won't .work. Also measure your 62 spindles and see if they would swap as well.

As Mercury Mac stated most likely the 62 axle is wider than the 52 f-3 but I have seen people remove sections of the axle to make them narrower.
Sounds like you got a lot of measuring to do.
I apparently missed the post in regards to the Y-block. Stay away from the early ones as they had major upper end oil problems. I had a 312 in my 56 merc though and it was a great engine.
Torchie.

Hey, so i know its been on the back burner. but im gathering parts... well. my 81 Ford's Tranny is getting a little weak plus i lost the title its worth scrap... BUT! i have a good 302 V8 a movable auto Tranny. and a Posi Rear end probably maybe sorta all the parts i need cannibalizing this 81. i was wondering if this Lincoln Mark 8 Front end would work on this truck? or would the truck be too heavy? im using the Posi out of my 81 on it. http://omaha.craigslist.org/ptd/3755156505.html and is there any Adaptors For the 4 speed to hook up to my newer 302 if i decided to go that route?

Attachments

• 52 ford 018.JPG
    52 ford 018.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 81 014.JPG
    81 014.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 81 009.JPG
    81 009.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Check with Speedway for an adapter. SBC to original trans adapters are available but not sure in regards to the Ford engine.

I wouldn't think that the Lincoln front suspension would be too light. Google for the curb weight of the Lincoln(3,765lbs) and see what it says as compared to the weight of your truck.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back