2 link.. 4 link? air ride

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance Wine

ok, So im paying someone to hook up air bags on my 54 chevy.. its all stock.
I need recommendations being I dont know anything about Air suspension... :confused: I am communicating with him via internet.. and he just asked me.. "4 link 2 link or just ur basic bag over axle deal? " .. just need some reccomendations.. i am going for the lead sled look.. thanks again. VW

If you're going to do it, do it right. C-notch the frame and do a triangulated 4 link. Gambino Customs makes a C-notch kit specifically designed for '49-'54 Chevrolets. It works & fits beautifully, and also saves lot of unnecessary cutting.

That being said - Don't put the cart ahead of the horse! Your car has some serious wiring issues to address before you even consider air. Has it even been converted to 12V yet? The last thing you want is a full blown car-b-que your first time out. Read my last post. Do ALL the basics before you start customizing. You will save yourself much time, headaches and dollars. If whoever you are talking with doesn't steer you in that direction he should be avoided. There are a lot of hacks out there willing to take your money without consideration for quality work or safety, especially when they know the customer is green and knows nothing about what they are doing.

You said your Dad is an awesome mechanic. What better opportunity to spend some time with him and learn while you are at it? Get yourself home, go through that car completely, do LOTS of research and then maybe pay a reputable shop to install air ride on your car if it is something you and your Dad don't feel comfortable doing. Everybody's gotta start somewhere, and you don't have to be dragging your car on the ground to have fun or be cool, especially when you are learning. It's a process, and it can be a very rewarding one if you take your time and enjoy the ride...

I'm kinda wondering how he would install a bag over axle without changing the suspension - isn't that leaf spring? Maybe remove all but the main leaf and install the bags? That always sounds iffy to me.

B.E.D. might have the best advice, otherwise, I'd probably tend toward the "2-link".

Also along with what he said, I hope you know this guys reputation well, because air suspension installs really tend to bring out the hacks.

Totally agreed Sam. The fact that this guy even suggested a bag-over-leaf setup makes me suspicious right off the bat. That is hacking at it's worst. Air ride is one of those things that gets popular and anybody decides they can do, most often with cringe-worthy results.

I wouldn't disagree with your two link choice, but if I was gonna do it... :D

Well, I did the triangulated 4-link (stock 85 Cutlass) and it limits travel to about 7" then it binds. That may be a stock bushing problem though.

I figured the 2-link (with panhard bar!) might fit the best without even having to redo the floor - those years still had the X member frame right?

B.E.D Thanks for the Honest response! I failed to mention my dad has the engine out waiting on the rebuild parts to come in. He is doing a complete engine overhaul (keeping the I6) as a depl. gift. and painting the Block Red. I sent him a copy of your post btw about what all to look at including the Wiring... A Car-b-que would not be cool... lol The car has already been converted to 12V. The guy installing the Airride is Vouched for by a few people I know locally including my brother inlaw (bagged '56 buick).. but I agree on needing to look into what he actually knows to ensure he isnt.. "ghetto rigging" a setup. He is only ordering parts right now for bagging it. He wont be installing for a lil while.

Ok since you have the engine out, What are you going to do about the transmission and rear end? The '54 still has a torque tube driveshaft setup, which is not going to be air ride friendly. If you are serious about going that route you will need to look into swapping to a open driveline, which will mean a transmission adapter if you want to keep the 235, a transmission, open driveshaft and rear end. It's a lot to do, but worth it in the end for reliability and function.

Latest posts

Back