27 chevy p/u

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yesterday at a stop light.
there was a college kid with one of those lil cars with the fart-pipes
he was revving it up and making that funny noise those things make.
when the light turned green i stomped on it for a second.
yeah rice burners are fun.
but they dont make a noise like a v8.....:D

is it my imagination or does this truck seem to have a little more pep with this exhaust?

It might. If you were tuning it from numbers meant for a full exhaust motor, like specs out of a book, you wouldn't have been taking into account the more free exhaust you had and now it is nearer the restriction of a full exhaust. Or the tubes might be increasing the scavenging affect and it's just the opposite. Or possibly I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh yeah, the pipes look sweet!

Two things that make a hot rod seem peppier are going to a weaker throttle return spring and changing to a louder exhaust.:D

update

i did the math.

with the c-6 trans and 3.00 gear in the rear as well as 27" tires

1st 2.46-1

2nd 1,46-1

3rd 1.00-1

2000 rpm 53.55 mph

2500 rpm 67.00 mph

3000 rpm 80.00 mph

kingpin update
i got me some oversized pins and i am glad i did.
the previous pins and bushings were installed 3000 miles ago with the bushings upside down.
thus no lubrication.
the spindles and axle holes were wallered out in an egg shape.
i had to machine down the parts to make everything square and then use all the shims provided with the new pins just to do one side!
luckily we were able to scare up more shims and thus were able to finish the job.
right now my steering is VERY stiff.
so i am forced to go cruising around the neighborhood making lots and lots of turns breaking it all in before our vacation cruise.
boohoo poor lil ole me.
forced to drive my toy even more than usual.

Glad to hear you got your king pins in.
That will take some of the squirlly, wandering, teeth sucking,
Butt puckering, bar ditch hunting, fun out of it.
Sounds boring!
Enjoy your break in driving.

Glad to hear you got your king pins in.
That will take some of the squirlly, wandering, teeth sucking,
Butt puckering, bar ditch hunting, fun out of it.
Sounds boring!
Enjoy your break in driving.

those muthas are TIGHT!
my arms get tired after a half hour or so.
it'll be sweet when they loosen up and settle in though.

ya know?
the steering didnt seem sloppy to me at all.
it didnt wander on a crowned road or anything like that.
i didnt get speed wobble either.
but when i jacked the tires off the ground and got a 6 and 12 o-clock hold of it
there was an unacceptable amount of movement
maybe a half inch or a little more.
my spindles are worn as well but with the new pins installed i got the movement down to a 8th of an inch.

Billy, I've never had new kingpins and bushings be that tight. Just a normal feel after installing. Did you ream the bushings?

My question as well.....

Normally you would...unless they were installed somewhere that did them when they installed them....but should be like that.....[S

new bed!

i went to I-R-POPS house and we made a new bed for the weasel*
*actually he did 99% of the work.
anyway
wah lah!

Last edited:
i am going to put a piano hinge in the front and a latch at the rear so that it can only be opened after unlocking and opening the tailgate
inside the bed are 2 storage compartments and the gas tank.

Last edited:
Billy, I've never had new kingpins and bushings be that tight. Just a normal feel after installing. Did you ream the bushings?

Normally you would...unless they were installed somewhere that did them when they installed them....but should be like that.....[S

i got it on a lift and started checking everything.
retorqued what needed it and adjusted my new reversed corvair box.
it steers very well indeed these days.

Hi billy, I'm glad to see the truck running about. It looks to be balanced nicely, so it flows. Most of all I like the Ford in a Chev [making the Chev guys up-chuck lots]. The headers add to the good looks.
Keep on tinkering.

a couple years ago i had a gallon of rubberized roof patching material and i applied it with a trowel to the insides of my door panels to reduce vibration.
that stuff stinks for a week or two at first.
then it dries to the consistancy of a tennis shoe sole.
i am going to apply it to the underside of my floorboards to reduce vibration ,sound and rust protection.
the stuff is only about 12 bucks a gallon.
wear clothing you plan on throwing away when you apply it.
(it dont come off)

i still need to put glass in the doors and rear
insulate the cab
install the hinge for the bed
and fab up a hood.
THEN i wanna paint flames !

Latest posts

Back