327 questions....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huryinhoosier

A couple of years back, a close family member died and left behind this car. starting out life as a 70 Impala,Its been in the family for years and although some think its not much to look at, its a family treasure cause it was handmade and its been around as long as i can remember.
The current engine is a 327 with a factory steel crank. Its .030 over and needs one piston replaced. Im thinking about going ahead and putting a 350 or a 355 to replace it and trying to trade my way into it. When completed, the car will go back to my sister so her and the kids can enjoy it once again.

Any ideas what the engine might go for. It was running when pulled.90 pounds of compression on number 6 due to stuck rings due to the piston. Cylinder looks fine as well.

Engine casting is 3782870
Crank casting is 4577

Attachments

• IMG00298.jpg
    IMG00298.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG00299.jpg
    IMG00299.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 31
So I am going to assume it's a small journal 327 since it has a steel crank. There may have been steel large journal cranks too I suppose but all the small ones were iirc.
If you just want to give it back to them then it probably isn't a big deal but I would personally take a small journal 327 over a 350 any day of the week.

I never would have guessed that as a 70 Impala. The only recognizable parts I see are what appear to be early 70's Ford Maverick tail lights.

The block is a 1962-1967 327 with 2 bolt mains.

The crank is a small journal forged 327.

Not sure of the value but here's a good site for checking Chevrolet engine casting numbers. http://www.mortec.com/

As far as I know the 327 steel crank was a large journal found in 510 Massey combines or old grain trucks. If it has a casting #4672 or 1130 hang on to it cuz its then a large journal and worth alot of money. If it is a large journal it has the same bore as a 350 and the pistons from a 350 will work. If it is a small journal 327 than you would probly wanna just get rid of it and put in a 350.

Latest posts

Back