33 Dodge, Scrounger Style!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
006.jpg

Before we laid any primer on it we needed to address the lip that was cutting the edge of the tire. We were switching the lowering blocks but still wanted to remove that sharp inner fender lip. I showed Aryan the ol' aluminum bat trick. This isn't for the fragile car owners. Watching your wheel well rolled out 1/4" from where the factory put them is scary. It also rolled the sharp lip up. I did them both and then let Arayn have a turn to show him how to do it without wrinkling anything.
005.jpg

Aryan's 16 year old brother helps him alot too.
010.jpg

Aryan hasn't figured out yet that when his hands are dirty to not wipe his face with them. This was still early. I don't think I have ever seen him that dirty as he was when he quit for the night.
007.jpg

A few hour of sleep and we was on the road. Thanks Corey and Amy for your help. We would have not got her ready in time without you guys. Aryan you worked hard and did what ever it took to get it finished for the run. I'm proud of you son!
028.jpg

030.jpg

Rewards for his hard work. It doesn't matter how many trophies you get. It doesn't matter if you are a trophy whore or just don't care. No matter what the size or what it's for you always remember your first car trophy award and it seems to mean more than any of the rest you will ever get. This is Aryan's first trophy.
068.jpg

Next generation of hot rodders guys!
019-1.jpg

Showing off his rags. He use to get a kick out of wearing his Scroungers Shirt to school because of the chic on the back.

022-4.jpg

018-1.jpg

On it's way out.
008-3.jpg

I know I jumped way off track but I'm a pretty proud papa. I may start a build log for him to show you and I know she's hard to see in the dark but that's a 59 Ford short bed with a 429 shoved down in her.
012-3.jpg

When I was 9 my dad gave me $50 towards a honda Z50R with a bad motor. I made the other $150 mowing lawns for a year. We rebuilt it our selves and that was the start of a long and not over hot rodding career! good for him!

Here's a better pic of the 59. Those Welds will be for sale after I get some other rims for it, if anyone wants them.
008-4.jpg

Day 20
Got about an hour in today. Started on my headers. The won't be anything fancy just a few pipes tossed on it untill I can find some BBC fenderwell headers.

Day 21
Finished my radiator brakets and mount. I had one piece of 16 gauge that was big enough to run off the radiator bracket and go to the back of the body. I trimmed it to run flush with the sheet metal below the rear window and welded it in.
002-6.jpg

Jeff gave me this thick tray a while back. I thought it would be good for a battery box. I got it welded where I wanted it.
001-4.jpg

Still need to cap my frame. I will do that here soon. Right now I have that one bar welded in there to support the roof.
005-3.jpg

I messed with the headers but I'm not liking what I see so I may start over with them.

day 22
Looks like a wash today. I spent some time with Riggs in his garage and I may be going to Frankfort with Vickers in a little while so I figured I'd let the 33 go tonight. I did run up and pick up a rearend that I'm going to use. Joe helped load it up after my son Corey about dropped it on me and twisted my back. Sucks getting old.

Drove down to Frankfort to get the title work started. It was a waist of a trip. Did not have all the paperwork I needed.:(

Day 26
Took a few days off. I wrenched my back putting the rearend in the truck when Corey tried to flip it around while we was walking with it and the club's grill out and some family time left a few days with nothing done.
Went out for a couple hours tonight. Figured out my front brake line brackets and got them on. The rubber line was too short to reach the frame and this is a budget build so I found some brackets, bent them and opened one end up for the rubber line. I still need to clean up my welds but I have some more frame welding in that area so I didn't worry much about it tonight.
001-9.jpg

002-6.jpg

003-11.jpg

Day 28
It was cool enough to try to get something done tonight. Didn't really happen though. I got my other rubber brake line bracket mounted and ran a few fancy bends on some brake lines. I thought I would be able to get the front brakes hooked up but when I went to run the line into the master it was too big. So I need to grab a couple fittings to make that work.
I figured I would get the cables hooked up for the battery. I bought the cable and had to put the ends on it. I soldered the ends on and everything was going good. I had just enough cable for both - & + terminals. I unbolted the old junk that was on the engine and put the new cable on the starter. A few turns and BAM!! I busted the stupid housing for the solenoid. First time I have ever done that. I wasn't too happy and of corse have no junk starters laying around to rip the solenoid off of.
I'm getting down to the little stuff and seems everything I do either doesn't fit, work or I break it. I was a little ticked off so I called it a night.

???//????

dude? how in the heck do ya break a solenoid??:confused:
heard of backfires breaking the starter nose or cracking the starter housing, l've even seen chunks broke outta the block where the bolts ripped out.:eek:

Later[dr

that actually happens all the time. the solenoid gets brittle and snaps easily. Looks good though!

Day 30
After searching a few stores i found the fittings I needed to get the front brake lines all hooked up. The front brakes are all ran and hooked up to teh master. Worked on a few small things tonight. Little more on the battery and some other stuff. Everyone kept saying I would rip that small drive shaft apart with the big block. I had another drive shaft so I did a little cutting to get what I needed. This is just to get it rolling so I can move it around. I will pull it and have them balance it when I get time.
Here is what one looks like if you have never done it. Measure where you need it cut. Toss it on a chop saw to get the straightest cut you can. Then cut away below the weld. You will see the clolor of the metal change when you go through the tube and into the yoke. Have to watch close. Knock it loose and this is what ya have.
002-7.jpg

You will have the weld still on the yoke. That has to come off. Like above you can watch the cutting wheel and it will start to show small signs when you go through the weld and into the yoke. Clean it all up and try to fit it. It will be tight. If you have a clean cut on your tube and you feel that it's even to both side of the yoke then start welding.
007-8.jpg

Like I said this is not the best way but it will make the car move. Don't do this and think you are going to be blasting down the road at 100MPH. It may shake the bolts loose. If you are not sure about your welds have the drive line shop fix it for you. If you trust your welds and measurement and you know you are close then weld it and have them balance it.
One short driveshaft. I still need to switch to the 400 yoke but that should be too bad.
008-7.jpg

Last edited:
One thing you didn't mention on the driveshaft, is to mark a streight line down the saft onto the yoke to make sure you keep the two ends indexed. They need to be paralel to keep vibration down, and not bind. Hope I explained that properly.

Latest posts

Back