41 chevy 1.5 ton, second build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
new life/ parts has sparked this build again. i found a spare cab that i bought to get some parts off of to finish my cab. the roof on this new cab is trashed but has some good body parts on it. tomorrow ill get some pics of the donor in the light then get it off of my truck. then it will go under the knife and the parts i dont use will get sold.

well heres my part truck. it went under the knife today.

parts003.jpg

parts002.jpg

parts001.jpg

well i plugged away at it some more today. cutting up the other truck and getting stuff welded to my truck. i got the driver side rear body line on today. tomorrow i will get the pass side done.

prts014.jpg

prts015.jpg

ya thought i gave up on this, well i didnt. just havent had the urge to do it. now it has hit me
and its time now to get it rockin.

1933 oem olds frame. just couldnt throw it away
truckfr001.jpg

truckfr002.jpg

truckfr003.jpg

truckfr004.jpg

rear was a little high so i chopped it off and fliped it over.
truckfr035.jpg

truckfr037.jpg

took 6" out of the back and 3" up front, worked out great because the body lined up with the cab mounts.
cab is also mounted.
truckfr038.jpg

truckfr039.jpg

here is the 1978 caprice motor, tranny and rear end. motor, tranny are set in place and held in for now
till i get the frame boxed in. ill order the tubing and flat stock tomorrow to get the frame done.
truckfr044.jpg

truckfr043.jpg

truckfr046.jpg

truckfr048.jpg

well heres the start of the frame. this will be the last time i work with a frame this way.
i could have built a tube frame so much quicker that fitting this oem frame, live and learn.

2"x5"x 1/8" tubing installed into mid frame, plug welded threw oem bolt holes.

trufram001.jpg

trufram002.jpg

trufram003.jpg

rear cross member installed, holes will be cut for stuff to pass threw.

trufram004.jpg

motor mounts and tranny mount installed.

trufram006.jpg

trufram007.jpg

trufram010.jpg

a piece of 2"x4"x 3/16" tubing was installed in the motor mount area to help transfer raw detroit
muscle to the frame, lol.

trufram008.jpg

a special thanks to morjeep for not tossing and passing along some oem controll arms to me, thank you again.
i got the top controll arms mounted, bottom ones tacked into place, im not really happy the
way they turned out. i will redo them and make more brackets to get them to flow better.

trufram004.jpg

trufram009.jpg

trufram005.jpg

trufram012.jpg

well heres the start of the frame. this will be the last time i work with a frame this way.
i could have built a tube frame so much quicker that fitting this oem frame, live and learn.

Yeah but if you used new steel, you wouldn't get that wonderful smell that you get when welding that ol' rusty, mouldy metal. :cool: Corpo said the same thing about his frame, personally, I think a re-worked old frame has way more character though I know it's a hard road....[P

zz, ive been coating the inside of the frame with a rustolem rust inhibuter (tons of spelling issues right there lol) kinda like a por 15. got a bottle at autozone for $6. any protection is better than nothing. i grind it off where im welding, but that is the only fumes im picking up, lol.

i will agree that it will look better than a box but its super tough and time consuming.

What are you using for a welder please? You have infinitely more patience than I have! Great doings so far. And for someone who really really hates body work, you sure are into it. perley

Latest posts

Back