41 chevy 216 sap questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tattoocharlie

ok i have a 41 chev rat 2 dr,it has the original 216 engine,mostly complete.my question is....are 235 part compatible?im going to a 12 volt system and the starter is 6 volt,the motor turns over nicely and the oil is clean but the starter is locked up.i was thinking about seeing if this motor would run but im not gonna dump a bunch of money into it.also are the points or internals of a 235 compat with the original distributor?

im basically looking to find 12v parts to swap onto this 216 to see if itll run.

Attachments

• 41 chev.jpg
    41 chev.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 13
As far as I remember all the accessories are the same but the internals are different.
The 216 has babbit rods which means the bearing inserts are molded into the crank end of the rod and the 235 has replaceable inserts (bearings).
The heads do not interchange either, seems like the distributor does work?
I like using a 6 volt starter on a 12 volt system they turn the engine over faster.

Jim

As far as I remember all the accessories are the same but the internals are different.
The 216 has babbit rods which means the bearing inserts are molded into the crank end of the rod and the 235 has replaceable inserts (bearings).
The heads do not interchange either, seems like the distributor does work?
I like using a 6 volt starter on a 12 volt system they turn the engine over faster.

Jim

i figured the starter would fry.....so i guess distributor then for sure.

The distributor needs a 12 volt condenser put in place of the 6 volt too.
6 volt starter will work :) just don't lean on it to long when starting like 10 to 15 second bursts

Jim

Just change the ign coil and resister to 12v, dist just houses the points and will be fine.

Latest posts

Back