48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress

Progress? Yesterday I delivered the fireplace surround that I've been working on for the last few weeks. That means that I'll be able to order the header kit from Speedway when the final payment shows up.

The cab is sitting in the middle of my shop floor where i can't forget about it. I worked on it for a few minutes today. Someone showed up today wanting some parts machined, so I guess it will be next week before I get back on the firetruck.

Attachments

• DSC02133.jpg
    DSC02133.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 79
My wife puts candles in one of ours the other is just a black hole that we have never used. The surround is for a mountain "cabin" at 5200 feet elevation, Even so, they'll only be able to use it for visual effect.

Progress?

Today I cut out the "new" firewall which now makes it the old firewall. It had a belly on one side of the tunnel that was 3/8 deep and the same size hump on the other side. The more I worked at getting them out the worse they got. The more I looked at the fire wall the worse it looked.

The new firewall is not quite flat, but is flat within 1/8" - close enough. All the mess of the welded up holes is gone the whole thing is much cleaner and flatter.

I also got the passenger side rear cab corner almost complete.

Attachments

• 1 old firewall.jpg
    1 old firewall.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 2New firewall.jpg
    2New firewall.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 3new firewall.jpg
    3new firewall.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 4 pass cab corner.jpg
    4 pass cab corner.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 73
Nice work! If you squint the fire wall looks kinda like a fire place surround.....[P

It does have a resembalance to a fireplace surround - it was a little easier though.

We went to the LA Raodster show yesterday and I got some good ideas for the dash and the top. All of a sudden neither seem so challenging.

We saw a few rats, but I think we have seen all of those before. We spent most of our time in the swap meet. There about 20 rows that were 1/4 mile long and several shorter ones. I didn't find most of what I was looking for. But the ideas were worth the trip.

Doug got a lot of pics, I only took pics of a few details to help me remember what the ideas were.

There is a little progress this week. I got the metal on the rear cowl. The rear sheet metal is as close as I can get it, so I welded in some braces to keep it in place and put a skin over the inside corners. I'll have askin on the center section too.

Yesterday I worked all morning on fitting the header from the roof that was cut off. Truckster and Doug showed up for lunch and they nixed my plan. What we ended up with is in the photo - the plywood represents the glass. I figured their idea saved my about a week and I like it better.

Attachments

• 1 rear cowl.jpg
    1 rear cowl.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 2 rear inside.jpg
    2 rear inside.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 3 glass.jpg
    3 glass.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 99
Yes, the windshield will stick up above the posts.

Has anyone done this? How did they secure the glass? I'm thinking uf using the leftover '48 Ford rubber glass channel and silicon.

Doug has some aluminum channel (1/4" slot and 1/2" legs) that I might use to go around the top of the glass. Not sure If I'll do that or not.

I'm still undecided on the flavor of the dash and where to put the battery. So, the interior is still a work in process, but the outside should be in primer this week.

Back on the frame

It is 5:00 the sun is shining and it is RAINING like mad. At 4:30 it was 110, clear skies and I almost left the beast outside, but decided it would be nice to have it inside in the am.

Anyhow, I'm getting very tired of working on this body, especially since it is only 1/2 of what it used to be and I still have a ton of work to do. It is in primer and I'm going to do something else for a while.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to scout up a master cylinder and work on getting the pedals and column mounted for a while.

Check out the second photo. That's the back of the cab and the frame - Truckster designed it tight.

Attachments

• 1 body on frame.jpg
    1 body on frame.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 106
  • 2 rear clearance.jpg
    2 rear clearance.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 3 left side.jpg
    3 left side.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 4 dash.jpg
    4 dash.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 5 rear end.jpg
    5 rear end.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 96
Maybe the windshield could be done like a giant pair of half frame glasses. They use a fishing line string to keep the lens from moving. You might have to use wire, but it would be the same principle.

Look at motorcycle windscreens.

Maybe the windshield could be done like a giant pair of half frame glasses. They use a fishing line string to keep the lens from moving. You might have to use wire, but it would be the same principle.

Look at motorcycle windscreens.

Yeah I like that idea. I am considering glueing in the glass like modern cars and having the top of the glass polished - like half frame eye glasses. I'm not sure the flange is big enough to provide enough glue surface. I'll look at motorcycle screens.

I don't have to figure it out until later, but i appreciate any ideas.

Latest posts

Back