50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You going to run disc/disc brakes? Tell me about your master cylinder and booster.

Gold03

Yea, its an MP Brakes unit for disc/disc, it had the setup to bolt to the stock pedal for an F1, but obviously that wouldn't work for me. Came with all the residual valves and proportioning valve, etc... I got a whole kit from them with the stuff for the front brake conversion on the stock F1 axle...

Let me know if you need any more info!

I need to change mine out. I still have the stock MC set up in mine. What size of booster are you using?

I don't have any idea of how much vacuum my old flat head will produce. I want to put a eight inch booster in, but might need a hump in the floor to clear it. We will see.

Gold03

Working on mock-up of the brake pedal some tonight, finished up some work on the lathe on the DOM tubing for the brake pedal pivot. Still need to final fit the bushings, I was going to light press fit them in, but when I do, its too tight on the shaft for it to spin, so rather than lap the bushing, I'll just make them slip fit, and lock-tite them in, as they cant come out anyhow...

Pedal I think I have sorted out, using 4:1 pedal ratio seems to be ok, but I guess if I need more than that, I can move the MC upwards, and make a shorter arm off the pivot shaft... I'm guessing that I wont have more than about 1.5" of travel at the MC... sound about right?

Also started mocking up the steering box location, and its looking good, might bring the steering shaft over the top of the header, everything seems to line up so far, drag link should be parallel to the ground too... pics tomorrow hopefully... Need to get the pitman arm off and evaluate making one or flipping the toyota one over. Also need to get the U-joint that will fit this steering box.

And another positive note is that I ordered the rest of the parts I need for the brake MC rod, clevis, pedal pad, etc from Speedway, and also the spring clamps for the quarter ellipticals...

Sounds like you still have steam on to keep running. I can't wait to see you roll smoke off those big tires!

Of course... Your going to need brakes. Keep going, as you were.

F#%^*¥g winter, my air tools are still icing up!

Gold03

I may be wrong (it has hapoened before) but most manual brake pedals have a 7:1 ratio and power pedals are 6:1. But I might be thinking of GM muscle car stuff. [P

I may be wrong (it has hapoened before) but most manual brake pedals have a 7:1 ratio and power pedals are 6:1. But I might be thinking of GM muscle car stuff. [P

Well, I was trying to go off the setup info from MP brakes where I got the brake kit from, hopefully they are right... (I'm banking on about a max 45 degree swing on the pedal which gives me about 1.5" of travel at the brake MC. I think I will only need about 1" of travel, but we shall see... 1st time setting one of these up)

This is what their setup sheet says:

As a general rule of thumb your pedal ratio should not exceed:
6:1 for manual brakes with a 1” bore master cylinder
4:1 for power brakes with a 1 1/8” bore master cylinder

Anyhow, tonight I worked mainly on things other than the truck, but I managed to add in some more bracing for the driver's side trans tunnel area, should have most everything for the brake pedal tomorrow, but I wont have the shaft ground (for where the pedal, and pivot arm mount on the shaft) until I finish more mockup...

Ahh cool. They gave you the specs. I think I was thinking of the GM brake pedals from the muscle car era. They had 2 holes in them for power or non power. Carry on![P

slow going, but making progress

Got my order from Speedway, 2 days, not bad, got a bunch of hardware I needed for the brakes, and the spring clamps I needed for the 1/4 elliptical springs (got these installed)

Welded up the brackets to the DOM tubing for the brake pedal pivot, but the bushings wont fit now that its welded, going to have them ground down tomorrow again for slip fit so they can be lock-tite mounted in the bore.

I also forgot the pivot shaft at home, so I didn't get it ground today, going to be tomorrow hopefully.(Will be ground in the areas where the pedal and actuator arm mount, like a Double D shaft)

The theory looks good on the brake pedal, but I may have to make changes to the arm shape, we will see. The lever side that actuates the brake MC looks like it should work.

Also started trying to place the drive by wire throttle pedal, and looks like I need to move it up quite a bit further, but I wanted to see how I was on space left to right...
Anyhow, couple pics, words are boring.

Attachments

• DSC05034.jpg
    DSC05034.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC05035.jpg
    DSC05035.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC05036.jpg
    DSC05036.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 53
Every Picture tells a story......don't it???

Seriously looks like it should work out well....everything seems to be fitting up pretty well....as for the gas pedal...can't tell in the pic...why does it need to go up...does it bottom out too soon on the floor?

Seriously looks like it should work out well....everything seems to be fitting up pretty well....as for the gas pedal...can't tell in the pic...why does it need to go up...does it bottom out too soon on the floor?

Well, the shape of the pedal is for a van, you would be pushing down more on the pedal,
so I need to move it up so it pivots downward without hitting the floor. It may be more of an angle of how I clamped it as well.

I'm really hoping that the travel is right... 2" long on the actuator arm, and about 8" on the pedal to the shaft.... maybe a little more than 8" when its said and done...

I know things are progressing, but it just doesn't feel like it until I can say something is done and complete... I can get impatient... and I want to get the brakes done so I can really focus on the floor, and steering... I cannot test the brake pedal without running all the lines so that is a big concern too.

Understandable.....

sometimes the effort doesn't always show up as fast as you'd like....but you are moving forward.......

DR, this is one of the posts I look for every night, your making good progress.
My grandfather always told me "when estimating how much time something is going to take; double it. Then add the original amount of time for every person helping."

Well, some time tomorrow I should have the shaft ground for the double D flats for the pedal and actuator arm. And also re-fitting the bushings to the DOM tube...
Hoping sunday night to get back on the mock up...

When I get discouraged about my progress, I take out all the pictures of the truck from when I bought it.

I tend to forget how much I have already got done. I'm always pleased with my progress when I do that.

Your doing great by the way.

gold03

Yea, I went through the pics the other day, I can't believe how bad the cab really was when I got it.

I'm a bit less frustrated today, I got the shaft ground, and the bushings now fit, so I can do a test mockup on the pedal... I might sneak out there later tonight after the little one is in bed...

Relieved now, test fit seems good

Well, I think its really close to being final on the brake setup.
I need to re-cut the actuator arm on a slightly different angle, but the pedal length should work, plenty of room before the brake pad would hit the firewall, the MC bottoms out way before that.

I may also have the pedal re-cut, I was not thinking properly when I designed it, as the area where the pad mounts needs to follow the arc of the radius centered at the pivot, not straight, as this creates a much smaller slot in the floor for the arm, but its not too bad, so I may leave it.

Still sorting out how I will attach the arms to the shaft itself, I need to make one side removable in the event that I need to service something...

Also mocked up the steering box the other night just for S&G, so I snapped a couple pics.

Thanks for putting up with my insanity :D:D

Attachments

• DSC05037.jpg
    DSC05037.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC05038.jpg
    DSC05038.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC05039.jpg
    DSC05039.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC05040.jpg