50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never knew that was the plan.......... I really want to see this thing all done!!!

I've definitely got the S/C thing on the back burner, because I am really hoping to drive this thing sometime this year....

Dr Crank, Roush also runs some propane powered mustangs for drag racing!
Jack Roush's daughter is one of the drivers.

Hey Dr, with the propane injection do you get the benefit of a cold fuel charge? Propane can make frost pretty easy and I was wondering about the benefit of a cooled intake charge.

gold03

just remember propane has no lubricating properties. You will usually only run into issues with excellerated valve guide wear causing some oil burning down the road. a small price for all the other benifits it gives you.

As far as the HP/TQ issues and MPG it is simple. You do get more BTU's per LB of fuel with gasoline then you do with propane. This is why it takes more propane to make the same power hench the lower MPG. But it does act as a chemical intercooler dropping the intake temps. That with a higher "Octane" rating (not sure if Octane actually is used in Propane as a rating. kinda like Cetane in diesels) means you can run more timing or boost making more power. might want to think of a blower or turbos down the road! [cl

just remember propane has no lubricating properties. You will usually only run into issues with excellerated valve guide wear causing some oil burning down the road. a small price for all the other benifits it gives you.

As far as the HP/TQ issues and MPG it is simple. You do get more BTU's per LB of fuel with gasoline then you do with propane. This is why it takes more propane to make the same power hench the lower MPG. But it does act as a chemical intercooler dropping the intake temps. That with a higher "Octane" rating (not sure if Octane actually is used in Propane as a rating. kinda like Cetane in diesels) means you can run more timing or boost making more power. might want to think of a blower or turbos down the road! [cl

gold03: "Hey Dr, with the propane injection do you get the benefit of a cold fuel charge? Propane can make frost pretty easy and I was wondering about the benefit of a cooled intake charge."

Well, that is true, you can now specify hardened valve seats from the factory for the 5.4 if you are doing a Roush conversion for propane. However, I think by the time it ever becomes an issue (miles wise) I'll have something more healthy lined up motor wise.
As far as I know, propane is rated with an octane rating equivalent of 104. The change in state from liquid to gas happens much more easily in propane, so I'm sure that it lends itself to a great cooling effect.

There is a definite plan of forced induction, but I need to do some more research on the strength of these stock internals, that may wait for a built motor, and some sorting out of whether or not Roush will tune it on their dyno or not, or if I can go to another of the propane conversion shops for some tuning...

On another note, if the weather is good and I can get a truck from work, the tank is going to come home tomorrow... and take up too much damn room in my garage for my liking :cool:

Well the tank is home along with some of the van floor I plan on using for trunk sheet metal.
The estimated weight is like #250-275 dry....
Propane =4.35 lb/gal if my memory serves me. so I'm looking at another 200lb in fuel when full.

Side note, I test fitted the bushings I bought and they are a great fit, and also have the nut plates made up to hold the bolts from falling inside the mounts, I'll try to get pics as I build up the mounts, and such...

Just need to order some DOM tubing to make some crush sleeves so I can properly torque the hold down bolts for the tank...

Yea for progress

I finished up the mounts for the tank, and tacked them in place enough to put the tank down in the truck on the studs and bushings. Going to be interesting trying to get to the studs to tighten down the nuts on top, but I can always lift the body off, or add some access panels if need be.

Anyhow, I'll try to get pics of the mounts when i pull the tank out again. Side note, I think I may have raised the rear of the truck up too much, but we will see how it sits once all the weight is on it, and when its back down on the front suspension as well... I'm thinking perhaps the mustang springs are progressive rate, and will compress so far and then get tougher and tougher to compress... But either way, spring changes are not a huge deal...

On to the pics [;)[;)[;)

Attachments

• DSC05023.jpg
    DSC05023.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC05024.jpg
    DSC05024.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC05025.jpg
    DSC05025.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC05026.jpg
    DSC05026.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 53
Looks like it was made for that spot! Or was the spot made for the tank?
Nice work.

POPS

Initially I made the space for it, knowing the tank size.... There is not much breathing room, and I may have to either add some access panels to get to the hold downs, or install the tank with the rear body off :cool:

Well, making some progress, started drawing up a mount for the brake pedal pivot assembly (reads: overkill) so I have some ideas there.... Also added a couple support pieces to the front spring mounts for support, and finish welded all of the spring mounts in the front so that the truck can go back on its wheels this week.

Now, Looking at the rear suspension, I am about 2.5" above where I want to be at ride height, and adding my 200lbs on it (the weight of a full fuel tank) only moves the suspension down 5/8" So, looks like I'll be getting the truck on level ground, and taking some final measurements, and moving the spring mounts up on the frame, and the shock mounts down =/ Ah well, I was probably damn close on my first attempt, probably should have left them where they were... these springs have to be progressive in my opinion...

Do then redo, welcome to my world.
The fun never ends does it. Beats working for a living!!

Yea, its all good, it happens with a 1st time build from the ground up...

Small update, ordered some dom tubing and square tubing from metalsdepot.com I'll keep you all posted as to their service :)

Small update, ordered some dom tubing and square tubing from metalsdepot.com I'll keep you all posted as to their service :)

Please do!!! I have been looking for a good spot to get DOM. I can get square of any size all day long but nothing round.

As for your springs, that is one reason I love my bags!! If it's not at the right spot it is cause it does not have the right air!! But keep after it bud! There is a lot that I have done and redone and redone and redone and redone until I got it how I wanted and it still isn't right!

hang in there in I know it's a pain in the butt. I once did an old shovelhead and wanted the rear fender to hug the tire-thought I took everything into consideration as far as spring travel-maiden voyage after very expensive paint job-yea didn't quite leave enough travel room for the chain gaurd-that hurt.

Well spent a few hours getting things cleaned, organized, and the front suspension back together, still have some slight fitment issues with the arms, but I'll sort that out next time it comes apart. (that way the caster and alignment can be more easily adjusted...)

Rear ride height has dropped about 3/4" with the front suspension installed and the truck on all four tires. It seems the rear compresses and moves more freely without the front of the frame on jack stands. I am hoping tomorrow to get the truck on level ground and see how it sits, and how much it compressed with me sitting on the fuel tank.

Latest posts

Back