Air Bag

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, am I seeing that the axle is already in front of the spring?

Would it not be easier to add a bracket in front of the crossmember and add a bracket on top of the axle and set the bag between the two brackets?

If its all hidden by the grille shell, why are you going to the effort of trying to put the bag behind the axle? It wouldn't be hard to mount two bags closer to the frame rails lifting off the crossmember and the top of the axle, kind of like mounting both of the bags suicide style.

I'm also thinking that 1500lbs air bag should have plenty of lift force. The Hemi is probably in the 800lbs range and is behind the front axle, so its weight will be somewhat split between both axles, and the frame and hood sure won't add up to more then 500lbs. The shorter bag lift will be easier on front suspension and steering parts. It might be easier to get two bags that get closer to the actual lift weight and distance would be best.

That's definitely looking at it from another angle ORR. The bottom edge of that axle from the ground is 5" as is the rest of my frame. That's with out the cab and bed on her. I do have plenty of upward adjustments in my rear coil over mounts and could easily go up an inch.

For the front I suppose I could throw a spacer block above the spring in the cross member or add a leaf.

One big oppsie.... is my frame mounted brake booster. It's below the frame and it would be a pretty big deal to move it since the rod passes thru an inner frame
support. I was planning on just building a skid plate to protect it.

My biggest concern was my cab cormers, and bed lowers which will be about 1" above the frame rails and protected if on level road. A big pot hole could be a concern. I'm gona have to pay attention while driving which I don't do well LOL

Maybe this another result of my OCD & overthinking. I just would hate to do any welding to the frame after it is sprayed..... or worse powdercoated.

I do like the wheelie idea....Timmy must be a cool dude.

Thanks for the input

Having put a "few" miles on low riding vehicles, I can give you a few things to consider.

I would want to be sure nothing on that front axle would be dragging on the ground if both front tires were flat, or had the tires came off the wheels (call me old fashioned, but I don't like the idea of sliding down the road on the front axle). If it passes that test, the only concern then would be something on the road surface that is above and between the tire track height (raised manhole cover?). The tires are attached to the axle, other then things above the tire level on the road surface, the tires will lift the axle over them.

What you need to be concerned about is what ever is hanging low in front of the front tires, and what is hanging low behind the rear tires, and things that are low at the mid point between the front and rear axles. Those things are the first contact points when you come to changes in the road elevation. Any road surface with a raise or a dip becomes a concern.

Things in front of the front axle are the first contact point on anything that raises above where the front wheels sit on the surface. A dip in the road means that when the front tires on in the deepest part of the dip, the lowest part on the front end gets closer to the road, and when those rear tires are in the deepest part of the dip, anything low behind the rear axle gets closer to the road. Pulling in or out of a driveway that has different levels has the same results. Those parking blocks at the end of a pull in parking spot are really hard on lower grilles which usually makes contact before the tires.

The mid point between the front and rear axle is the next contact point. It becomes the contact point after the front axle has passed over a rise the the road surface, but before the rear axle starts lifting over that rise, the mid point gets close to the highest point on that rise. If your body is above the bottom of the frame, your frame will be the contact point, At 5" of ground clearance, your biggest concern other then frame contact, with the center point is going to be something on the road above the surface, on one side or the other (the curb along the street comes to mind here).

There is no need to be concerned about the habit of not currently watching the road with a very low truck, the truck will train you (rather quickly). One doesn't need to feel and hear that road surface contact more then a few times before it becomes pretty natural to be watching more closely.

Latest posts

Back