airbag suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantwell.colton

Rat Rod Philosopher
ive gotten ahold of some old airbags off of a gmc mobile home...
i havent done any research yet - thought id ask a question here first

is it possible to just run a tank in the trunk of the car with them or is
it necessary to have an entire set up ?

air bags

You wil need some kind of way to fill the tank, (compressor) then you need someway to fill the bags, and release the air to deflate the bags (valves) then you need switches to work the valves. a very simple paddle switch will air up and release if you want to make the bags fast you will need 2 valves for each bag, 1 for in and 1 for out easy set up, run lines from the tank to the in valves, power up the valves with a switch, air go's in, power up the other valves and air go's out no big deal.
They also make a switch that the air lines go into, and then from the switch to the bags, so when you push the switch 1 way it lets air go into the bag, and when you push it the other way it lets air out right from the switch, but this a slow fill and dump set up but very cheep, you run 1/4" lines and quick connects on the lines, just like a set of air shock lines, cheap way.

Short answer - probably not.

If you want to drop and raise more than one time, you'll need a pump. You'll also need a fill valve and dump valve for each section. 4 valves for front/back or even better 8 for a front/back/side/side. You can use manual valves for cheap.

The pump is the biggest cost besides the bags themselves. (unless you get one of those fancy electronic control units) You can scav a York compressor off a Volvo, old F150, etc. for cheap - engine driven and externally oiled.

At 120LBs in my 7gal. tank, I can lift my car to ride height once - 60lbs in the front and 40lbs in the back.

You have to have at least the front and back on separate sections or the back would ride like a brick. Side to side is so the air doesn't squish from the outside to the inside in a corner causing bad roll.

Until you get a system going, you could put the bags in with shrader valves and fill them individually as needed.

Latest posts

Back