An idea I have

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac

I have a lot of ideas in my head, so I thought I would share one with you all and see what you all think about it.

So I was bored drill weekend and was searching through speedway motors website and came across this, http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-1927-Track-T-Roadster-Kit,4010.html and thought it might be cool to build one and I think the price is reasonable. I know it is fiberglass and maybe not really a Rat Rod, but it wouldn't be to shiny and from reading a lot on this site it seems like everybody is pretty open to different projects.

It says to use a Chevy 60 degree V6 or a 2.3 Ford I4, I'm assuming because of length and width of engine compartment.

My idea is, instead of using one of the engines above, I would like to find a donor 94-95 thunderbird super coupe and use the blown 3.8 v6 and rear end. My questions are: How hard is it to use a fuel injected engine, tuning etc? And do you think I would still have an engine compartment space issue being that it is a 90 degree v6 and supercharged? Also I am not sure if the rear end would be to wide.

I want to build something unique and use a Ford engine, but would rather not use a 4 banger. Also keep in mind it would be some time before I would be able to attempt it, and the wife actually likes the idea which is good. I just wanted to get it out of my head and onto paper so to speak, and gauge interest to make sure I'm thinking too far out of the box or possibly getting in over my head.

I welcome all comments and help, or other ideas, thanks for reading, Mac

It would seem to me the 4.3 and the 3.8 would be about the same size, so I don't think fitting would be an issue!! As far as using the 3.8, if you used a modified T-Bird wiring harness I don't see that as an issue either!!
As far as going glass, I've seen MANY very nice glass cars so to me, thats not an issue either!!

Good Luck with what you decide to do!

Mac,

Though it certainly wouldn't be a "RAT ROD" by the traditional definition, being that it's a 'glass car, I like your idea, cuz it would be inexpensive and fun.:cool:

I dunno how much you read on the Speedway website, but they DON'T recommend using a 4.3 V-6, as it is too wide and long for hood and rad clearance. Significant mods to the hood and firewall would be required. That Ford 3.8 from the T-Bird SC is about the same size as a Chevy 4.3....plus, you need to add length and height for the supercharger, intake assembly and drive belt assembly.:( You'd have to cut that little bugger up pretty good in order to fit it. That being said, I think the supercharged 3.8 would be one heck of a nice engine to use in some sort of rod-they're peppy and cool!

Your link got me thinking....If you look at my avitar pic, you'll see I have a perfectly good, low-mileage 2.8/TH700R4 sitting in a rusty old truck in my garage...hmmmm.... Too bad I don't have the $4500-$5000CDN to buy that kit and get it shipped.:(

Regards,
Shea:)

Okay, I just read your posting again...and noticed you were asking about the electronics and rear end.

With regards to the electronics, I think some sort of stand-alone harness would be your best bet-Somebody like Ron Francis Wireworks or one of the other reputable places should be able to hook you up with something that would run the engine and tranny, but streamline out the "unneccessary junk.":D

The T-Bird rearend? Leave it in the car when you scrap it. These cars have an IRS which is supported and hung by a big, bulky subframe. No way you could make it look any good under a small fenderless car. Everything would stick out the sides. IIRC, from my apprentice time at Ford, the subframe and control arms are as wide as the track width in front of the rear wheels...:(

What about an older T-Bird Turbo Coupe? 2.3 turbo...That should fit in there!:)

Regards,

Thanks all for the comments. I think after this I will save the engine idea for an open engine build someday. If and when I do decide to build this I think I will go with my back up plan and use a turbo 2.3 from a turbo coupe which is what Shea had suggested, that way I can still keep a Ford themed build and won't have any space issues.

Shea, thanks for setting me straight on the rear end I was unaware that they used IRS, you learn something new everyday, which is why I knew if I put this out there I would get the answers and suggestions that a noob like myself needs. Also the reason I was thinking of this build is because as I said I am a noob, so I figured a "kit" such as this, that comes with instructions and also suggestions of what to use would help me learn about all the vehicle systems and how they work together as I go along. Anyways, thanks again all.

Mac,

Think nothing of it! I don't have the funds or skills necessary to "build" something like all you folks are. Nonetheless, I REALLY enjoy following along and if there's any info I can pass along and help someone out, then so much the better!:cool:

Best of luck if you go ahead, don't forget the PICS!:D[;)[P

Regards,

I was going to recommend the little turbo 4cyl from the late 80's fox body mustangs, is that the same engine as the turbo coupe? That thing would get up and go!

I wanna say it's the same engine in both cars, but I don't know for sure. I will have to do some research on the subject. Both cars were around the same time doesn't seem cost effective to have two different 4 cyl turbo motors for them, but nobody ever said automakers were smart lol. Thanks.

I like the track T style much better than the T bucket

I also like the track T style better, I think because it looks more sports car than other rods a bit of new with the old I guess, which is why it peeked my interest I the first place, something I haven't seen a lot of also. I think although that new kit would probably be more cost effective, if and when I decide to do it I will stick with my original idea except use the 2.3 turbo. Thanks for the comment.

I wanna say it's the same engine in both cars, but I don't know for sure. I will have to do some research on the subject. Both cars were around the same time doesn't seem cost effective to have two different 4 cyl turbo motors for them, but nobody ever said automakers were smart lol. Thanks.

IIRC, Brand "X" used the same 2.3 turbo in the T-Bird Turbo Coupe, The Mustang SVO (that's the one you guys are thinking of) and the Merkur XR4Ti.

Always thought this would make a great engine in a small, lightweight street rod.:cool:

Back when I had my "X" Ranger, I remember reading a "Street Truck Shootout" article in Street Trucks magazine... All kinds of high $$$ Chevy 1500's with big blocks etc, etc....The fastest truck of the competition was also the cheapest- A recycled Ford Ranger with a mildly souped up 2.3 turbo and 5-speed out of a Merkur XR4Ti....:cool: Ran high 12's in the quarter....:eek:

Built Ford Tough....with junkyard stuff.;)[;)

Regards,

Shea, your knowledge blows me away, you always seem to have the right answers! Thank you for humoring my " I just might do this someday", Although I did do some research of my own

I pulled this from wiki,
Turbo
1979–1980 Ford Mustang, Mercury Capri (carbureted)
1980 Ford Fairmont, Mercury Zephyr (carbureted)
1985–1989 Merkur XR4Ti
1983–1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
1984–1986 Mercury Cougar XR7
1983–1984 Mustang TurboGT (W Code)
1983–1984 Capri Turbo RS
Turbo/Intercooler
1987–1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
1984–1986 Ford Mustang SVO

So a lot of options to source the motor, it said intercooled with T-5 manual it puts out 210hp, which should scoot that thing pretty good, might be tricky to find a place for an intercooler though.
used as a conversion engine on VW based cars like Sandrail and Baja Bug

used as a conversion engine on VW based cars like Sandrail and Baja Bug

Disregard this part it wasn't supposed to paste dam iPhone

The German Ford v-6 used in early Mustang II's , Pintos and Capri's is a narrow angle engine and should fit if you would rather use it.

Thanks for the heads up, definitely will look into that if I ever decide to start this thing.

Latest posts

Back