Anybody have any luck selling their Rat Rods?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec4193

IMG_20240826_072025724.jpg

Never really been a fan of driving old heaps...actually don't enjoy driving anything on the roadways any more (too many wackos out there now a days)...

So I got the old Jalopy 95%-98% done...been a life long dream to build one of these things but it is basically done...I was wondering if anyone has had any luck selling their projects???

And if so where is the best place to sell them?

Oh yeah.....how much of a bath have you taken to when you did get it sold??

Thanks in advance.

MikeC

I've sold a few. Never advertised. Just had people approach me. Or I mention around that I want to let one go. I try to get what I spend building the car. Nothing for my labor. I build low cost hot rods so it isn't too hard to recover the money spent.

I built mine for me to drive and have fun. I've been approached many times to sell it but turned them all down. I don't think that I'd get a good return on the money. There's no amount I'd take for it because I couldn't replace it for what I have. I've wanted a cut down, barn built, truck ever since I saw the first one that turned me on. I don't have the cream of the crop, but I have what I wanted according to my life style. Mine is a truck that I don't worry about scratching. It has no paint. I wanted a truck that was simple to work on and I do because I built it that way. Hell, just about anything that needs to be fixed or replaced can be readily attacked from either side and believe me, not much has to be moved or removed to get to anything because that's the way I planned it. Over the years from 2015 when it got registered for the road, I've put over 50,000 miles on it. Outside of a very few things that have failed on it, I've never had to be towed home. Parts are on hand in my barn to fix just about anything that may go wrong. Without spending bunches of money I wouldn't be able to replace it. Naw, i's not for sale! It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's mine...

Smallfoot you are my hero...I always wanted to be a guy like you,,, It is not fun around here any more...my once rural area where I live has been over run with cityidiots that work at the computer chip plant...

I am trying sell my 1948 Willys Jeep as we speak as well...

I think also I have trust issues with my own workmanship...

Thanks for posting buddy
I built mine for me to drive and have fun. I've been approached many times to sell it but turned them all down. I don't think that I'd get a good return on the money. There's no amount I'd take for it because I couldn't replace it for what I have. I've wanted a cut down, barn built, truck ever since I saw the first one that turned me on. I don't have the cream of the crop, but I have what I wanted according to my life style. Mine is a truck that I don't worry about scratching. It has no paint. I wanted a truck that was simple to work on and I do because I built it that way. Hell, just about anything that needs to be fixed or replaced can be readily attacked from either side and believe me, not much has to be moved or removed to get to anything because that's the way I planned it. Over the years from 2015 when it got registered for the road, I've put over 50,000 miles on it. Outside of a very few things that have failed on it, I've never had to be towed home. Parts are on hand in my barn to fix just about anything that may go wrong. Without spending bunches of money I wouldn't be able to replace it. Naw, i's not for sale! It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's mine...

It ain't easy selling ratties these daze. Like most car builds, you'll have more money invested than someone else is willing to pay up for! At least that has always been my experience! I've found the best place to sell cars is on FB Marketplace... & it's free! FB also has multiple forums that are for selling and trading rat rods, hot rods etc! This is one of my favs... https://www.facebook.com/groups/922299177811619

Good luck!
BoB

I'm going to take us off topic here. But it's smallfoot's fault. Interesting comparison in how we engage in rat roddery. He has one hot rod. I have eight. Smallfoot has driven his 50,000 miles. In the same time I have collectively driven mine 3,000 miles. Smallfoot won't sell. I sell but only when I need the space or money to start another build. He drives his truck everywhere. I worry about breakdowns every time I drive one, even around the neighborhood. I'd much rather be building them than driving them. But, I admire smallfoot for using his truck and wish I could do that too.
With every new build I visualize myself driving all over, near and far, but I never do.

I tried to sell my 48 Plymouth business coupe last year. I'd just finished my new ride (a 49 Dodge pickup) and I knew it was going to spend the summer just sitting. The car has been proven reliable, get in and drive, with lots of trouble free miles on it, and it was ready to drive anyplace you wanted to go. I drive my stuff anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 miles a year! I set a price I (and many others) thought was a very good price. Nothing! No offers, no tire kickers, only one guy came to look at it, but he had something he had to sell first (and I sure didn't want his car).
This past spring I dropped the price 4G (to $8,000).
100_0906.JPG
I had one guy call that offered me less then 1/2 my asking price. We re-plated the car in July, I will drive it when ever the mood hits me, then park it in my yard as yard art and watch it deteriorate, before I will give it away to someone I don't know.

Latest posts

Back