Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy you are enjoying the rebuild, E-Man. I hope you have an outlet for your creative energy.
On the engine front, the block is cleaned and the main studs, bearings, caps and crank are installed. Rings are on the pistons. I've had lots of starter problems lately so the next step is to make sure the flex plate and starter are in perfect harmony with each other.
The bare block and trans are out of the car. Now to pressure wash the frame and suspension and freshen the chassis paint.
I had too much angle on the drag link so the spindle mounting point was raised. Pic to come, if I remember.

Put two coats of Rustoleum Ford Tractor Red on the frame. It's ready to receive the engine and trans. I have all the parts to assemble the short block. The 406 should be around 400 hp.
20240828_145318.jpg
20240828_145358.jpg

Last edited:
I like using the 99-04 4.3 V6 starters.
I know you know this but, make sure the bolts are actual starter bolts.
A few years ago I went to the Chevy dealership to get OEM starter bolts. The counter guy told me they buy theirs from NAPA.

On the engine assembly front I tried to put the pistons and rods in the block but my adjustable ring compressor wouldn't cooperate. After years of usage it just became too wobbly especially on the short skirt pistons. So I bought one of these one size only super trick tapered sleeve installers.
20240908_094649.jpg

A few years ago I went to the Chevy dealership to get OEM starter bolts. The counter guy told me they buy theirs from NAPA.

On the engine assembly front I tried to put the pistons and rods in the block but my adjustable ring compressor wouldn't cooperate. After years of usage it just became too wobbly especially on the short skirt pistons. So I bought one of these one size only super trick tapered sleeve installers.View attachment 182549

Been using those sleeves for years and love them.
I actually have couple that has a split with a hose clamp to adjust it for different size pistons it goes from standard 4" to 4.090 and 4.125 to 4.190 from Speedway

Latest posts

Back