Big Wheels?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Torchmann, you're a freakin' madman!

"hessian metal head" [cl

"Aggrandizement" I can always count on you to expand my vocabulary. [cl

It's spelled "rhyme" by the way. (Just a friendly poke).

I'd prefer eating bacon, drinking beer, and a woman that knows what she is doing. ;)

Madman #2, I believe I suffered a discharge.

I''ll take the bacon, beer, a woman that knows what she's doing and 16 Vestal virgins. (I believe in practical education).

Some of you already know my opinion on the tire/wheel thing. More tire please, a lot more tire.

20" high clearance wheels were a factory option in the 30's. Mostly used by rural mail carriers and such out of necessity...not for the "look"

Everytime I see any vehicle with the big wheels I think of the matchbox cars played with as a kid. No place for them on a full sized vehicle.

I like vehicles of all kinds, not just classics and muscle cars. Some rice burners are really nice lookin rides, like the later model nissan 240sx
1997nissan240sx2drstdco.jpg

and the late 90's nissan skyline
1999nissanskylinegtrvsp.jpg

These two particular cars were pretty special when it came to jap cars though. The 240 was rear drive and caused the whole drifting craze in japan, and a lotta people stuff the skyline twin turbo v6 in these, making for REALLY fast cars. The skyline was an AWD, twin turbo track day monster.

But old cars with them stupid dubs on em make me utterly sick. People can ruin anything, or make anything look like a million bucks.

I'm ok with rims up to 18".
Over that, is too much.

I plan to run 16" or 17" on mine.
Why? Because I can get really nice used tires in those sizes for practically free. A lot of modern cars use those sizes. (I work at a dealership)
I can to burnouts, donuts, broadies and skids without worrying about "the $300-a-piece tires I had to special order from Coker."

15" tires are getting hard to find used, except in dinky economy car sizes.

What's not to like [ddd[ddd[ddd[ddd[ddd[ddd

maxiMedium.jpg
After all the comments about how nice we all are on this forum? Allow me to be the devils advocate here. That green Monte Carlo's referred to as a KONK. I'm no expert but I thinks it to be the natural evolution of a low rider. And much like a low rider, the kids that build those things put their heart and soul and large portions of their paychecks into building them. Granted, they're not my taste either but ya gotta love em' simply because passion is passion regardless of how it manifest itself. So next time you see one or hear a tuners butt fart exhaust......know that kid feels the same thing you're feeling when your turning a wrench on your rod. And GRD pukin straight up in the air would be a bad idea......it did make me laugh though.

Good point. I'm sure some of the stuff I rode around in when I was a teenager the older crowd just shook their head as well.
Also, they're called Donks, unless some new term has come about that I'm too out of the loop to have heard.

I like em no bigger than 18's. I am an aggesive driver and I like to slide stuff. I like a good wide patch of rubber under me and a skinny old 15 with a 75 series sidewall just wont cut it. On the other hand I dont like it when a car has 22/20's on it (doesn't matter what it is) they just look stupid. besies what is old is new. Model T's came with like 20" wood wheels and a short tire. Then they shrank all the way to 60's impalas with 14's. Now we are back up to 18's on impalas. Tis the circle of life![cl

I hate the new bigger wheels on an older car. I have sat next to a nice older Mustang or Chevelle at a light and commented to myself how much nicer it would look without the bigger ones on it. The right wheel and tire combo can make or break a car.

BTW, I've never heard of a KONK car, like the green one, but have heard of a DONK car. :D

Don

The technical name is Donk, they are all over our town. I don't want to sound wrong in any way but I'll try to be generic in my term, those are typically from the "rap" world. You see that in music videos and those are the type of people that own them. I work with a guy that has a few cars like that, nothing wrong with what he likes but it's not my cup of tea. Most kids around here would rather build a 4x4 or bag a truck to cruise on the weekends, they have school and they work, nothing wrong with that in my eyes. That is what got me liking cars/trucks, I would weld and build stuff for my friends and make cash on the side. Kids that build cars and respect others tend to not be worried about getting drunk or high, they already spent their money on their ride....lol.

I like big race slicks on most vehicles, I hate most 20 inch spoke rims and tires on most vehicles, and I like super singles. I guess I must be a big tire person, I just love seeing 1930s and 1940s vehicles with race slicks on the back. There is one, the 1980s trans ams, that they don't look very good on, and I'm sure there are others that wouldn't look good with them.

Nathan

I like a tire/wheel combo that fills the wheel opening on the fender. Most of cars today are made for a larger wheel/tire combo. I ran 22's on my Dodge because it was the cool thing but damn it made it rough. I've went back to 20's which is a factory size and ride is so different that it's like a new car.
I hate the DONK look personally but don't mind large wheels if they fit the overall look. Most new cars come with 17 to 20 inch wheels stock now.
My Magnum can't put a wheel smaller than 17 on it because of the brakes.

Im not sure if i should be offended by this thread or not :)

Im running 20's on my rat, purely to be a bit different. I don't want big flashy chrome wheels though, ill just stick to the baby moons over steelies.

I dont really like Donk's......at all, though i do appreciate the work and passion that went in to them. Same thing for low riders, dont care for the skateboard wheels, but to each is own.

I think the right size rim really makes or breaks the vehicle. There are some newer cars out there that utilize 20's but it doesn't really look bad. It just depends on the car.

I guess age does play a key factor on the current styles. Im seeing alot of younger guys slapping on the biggest rim they can find to fit in.

Hopefully i'm not banned for going with big wheels.

My all time "favourite" of this style was a Z71 Chevy 4x4 I saw pulling out of the scrapyard across the street from my bus yard. Super clean, well cared for truck, two tone paint, stock height 4x4, rollin' 24-26" blingers and lo-pro street tires. He also had the tinfoil tail lights, chrome bug deflector and vent visors, running boards and dual whip antennas mounted to the mirrors....[S It was a "WTF!?!" moment for me, a true watershed.

I have seen several more trucks running around The Dirty 'Shwa tricked out like this and have coined my own catchphrase for this style. I call it "PiMpBiLlY." Cause obviously, they can't decide if they're a "PiMp," or a hillbilly.:D

I don't mind a plus-one or plus two size wheel on an older car, but you still need to have some sidewall. OTOH, I don't care for bias-ply wide whites or cheater slicks, either, so I guess I sit somewhere in the middle?[S;)

Oh well, to each his (or her!) own. :)

Oh yeah, and that Skyline makes me drool.

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back