"Dark Sarcasm"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 3rd pic above you see my very precise "Straight Edge", here are more highly precision tools .....

and the equipment to cut it with...

I believe the tooling is quite strong enuff for the job. Whatcha think.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 30
Flat, I've never been accused of being too smart and I'm slightly confused. Can you hold your templates up to the frame and show me how you plan to install them. I'm nosey.

Joe,
I here them wheels turnin from here, whatcha thinkin..

Gastrick,
I will give better pics tomorrow. The cardboard is flat but the material is not. Both pieces to go on the outside of the framerails will rollover the top where I make my cuts on the factory frame. The other two pieces will slide inside the framerails from the inside for added support. (kinda like a laminate wrench) Take note in my last pic at how thick this material really is. If all goes well, I will bolt everything in place before I start cutting. It should be plenty strong to hold. If not, I got a whole nother piece of iron to cut up on.

Feedback from you two is valueable to me.

cool.

I may yet start another thread, kinda step-by-step as I go along with it. The scraps i have leftover from the c-notch kit will be used to make the spring perch reinforcement when I flip the rearend.

Flip kit,c-notch, and 2in shackles... Should be good for about 6-7 in. in the rear.

i say hmmmmm because i can't picture it, i can't wait to actually see it though, i'm sure you're on the right track. around here, everyone just cuts a huge hole in the bed and grinds notches in the frame. thank god those same people are into mini-trucks and new trucks, not classics or rods. It'll be nice to see how to get it done right so I can "copy" it.

Joe,
Mine is going to be what they call a "mini notch". Won't be visible from the outside at all. You would have to get down on the ground to see it from the bottom side.

Nope none today at all. I should be able to get some cut off wheels for the grinder in the AM and get to cuttin in the PM after work. The only boubts I'm starting to have is if the "Top rail of the iron is going to fit under the Factory cross sills. I don't want the notch to be obvious...(Not yet anyway)

I got that big "Honkin" piece of metal (Honkin is a tachnical term) down to a more managable size after going down to the local "HD" and gettin the right cut off wheels for the grinder.
I bet my neighbors love me tonite...

I even got a pic of my old ratty tool box...

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 21
I know this isn't what you are doing right now Flatster but I took this pic of the frame notch on that truck in the other thread for ya. I've seen better work but I just thought it would be interesting for you to check out.

Flatbroke I'm not trying to high jack your thread here but i have a 83 Chevy truck i was working on until i got the rat rod project. Anyway here is some pic's of the gas tank filler spout on my truck i put a suburban tank in the back between frame rails and the filler neck behind taillight

Attachments

• MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 16
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 49
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 36
Pretty slick tiny. Flatbroke, I'll try to post the pic a different way if I can figure it out. I'm not sure why you can't see it. Can anybody else see it?

Tiny,
Hijack away boss.
This thread isn't only here for me to show progress but for everyone else to give me ideas as well. That is a cool mod done on your truck. Really appears to be straight forward too. Shoot man, I like it.

NOTE: If anyone has ideas for me please feel free to post away.
(I still have no idea as to where I'm going on this truck):confused:

Latest posts

Back