DDT - Damn Dodge Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dug into the truck yesterday. The previous owner of this project's "hemi" motor mounts were f'd up. The drivers side was built about 1.5" higher than the passenger side. The motor would have had a serious "gangster lean" going on. I cut those off and am starting over. I also plan to lower the motor a tad in the process.

I also went to pull-a-part and picked up a steering sector for the Dakota steering (so I know where NOT to put the motor). I made a pretty good blood sacrifice while I was there. Hopefully today will involve less pain.

Man, I wish it was 20 degrees cooler!

I really wish this truck was an original paint truck.

Anybody think the paint on rest of the truck can be faked to match the front cap?

I really wish this truck was an original paint truck.

Anybody think the paint on rest of the truck can be faked to match the front cap?

Don't see why not. Start with some low luster black and go from there.
Worse comes to worse, if you don't like it you can paint the whole thing.

Google "Patina finish on old trucks" and you will find a lot of suggestions and examples.
Torchie.

I think so too. Start with a good layer of red underneath, then maybe some orange, then a good helping of black on top and rub through until pleased.

If you're doing the prep to make the patina match on the rest of the truck then you might just want to do the front clip anyways?

You probably answered this earlier, but what brand are those wheels?

Last edited:
I

You probably answered this earlier, but what brand are those wheels?

The wheels are Halibrands. ...not the old ones, these were from the 1990's-2000's. 17x7 front, 18x9.5 rear. I bought them off of ebay for cheap because they are 6x4.5 bolt pattern (Dakota and Nissan Extera are about the only thing that can use them).

I think you have nailed it with the stance. Looks good.

Digging into "other peoples work" is usually followed by "What the F were they thinking?!" Lol

The patina can be done. start with a mix of red oxide primer and add a little brown until you get the darker rust color. a couple of good heavy coats for a base. Add a grey over the top enough to cover then go to the single stage black for a couple of coats. you will want to go for a series of sand through, scratches and even a dent or two. once you have the effect you can flat clear it all to seal it.

Here! Here! on the stance. BTW, your DDT just showed up on my Facebook by way of Rat Rod Magazine and some other link. Getting famous already.

Last edited:
And that is why I rarely go on The HAMB. Those wheels look awesome on your truck.

Overall, it is still one of the best resources for building a car. Lots of great builders to copy. (or not copy, if it doesn't look as cool as it seemed like it should be).

Latest posts

Back