flame thrower

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im wanting to do some flame thrower exhaust. whats the best or easiest way to do it? not really wanting to run the carb rich. heard some use a 1lb propane bottle.

IMO propane is dangerous and the flames from it suck.

I can give you a run down on the old Skool method if ya want.

That would be great. I'm in process of building my 55 ford f100 rat on a Nissan frame with a Buick 300 v8. I love the flame throwers haven't seen any in quite awhile in in Missouri.

Ok here's the quick version.

Aquire a Hei distributor and a 12v electric motor(a heater blower motor works well). Mount the electric motor and dist. on a board or something so that the motor can be used to turn the Hei. I hook them together with a piece of house and hose clamps. You will have to take the gear off of the dist. to do it this way. Run power to the motor and to the Hei thru a switch. When the switch is on the Hei should deliver spark. Run plug wires off of it down to spark plugs in your tail pipes.

On your engine, get a "naturally open" switch to tie into the ignition on your cars engine. This switch will kill your engine when pushed in. You use this switch to kill the engine temporaly. Sometimes you have to do this when your trying to get your pipes to light.

You need to run a choke cable on your carb to flood out your engine. You have to flood it out before it will flame and you have to do it with the engine rpms up some. Everyone freaks out over this method but its the safest and I know guys who have been doing it with the same engine for over ten years. Just change your oil as it needs it and use common sense.

Just buy the flamethrower kit that Speedway sells. Works great and is easy to install and use. No rich carbs or choking is necessary. I've used these kits several times and was happy with them. I'm gonna put this kit on my Wagon when it's up and runnin.

How big of flames do they make? What do they use as fuel? How much they cost?

I've never been around them before.

The speedway kit costs I think $69.95. They shoot about a foot out of the ends of the pipes. The fuel is from your carb. You have to rev the motor, hit the button and pump the gas pedal and it will shoot flames (momentarily shuts off ignition and lights the spark plugs in your pipes). You cant do it forever cause the motor will shut off. Once you learn how it works they work well. They work good while you are moving at higher speeds too. Just follow the directions from the kit exactly.

Sounds like more money to get less results IMO. With the set up I mentioned I've saw 10'+ plus flames.

Latest posts

Back