Help make an old rodder's 65 B-day Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer32

10 years ago, my father was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. In January of 1998, he underwent brain surgery at Baylor Medical Center in Dallas. The Chief Neurosurgeon opened his head, took a sample of the tumor, and closed him up. He said the tumor was inoperable, and that Dad would live between 6 weeks and 6 months. When he was still in the hospital recovering, Pops said to me, "Take me somewhere else."

I got on the internet, and found a hospital where the doctors were on the leading edge of brain tumor surgical techniques. A month later Dad underwent a second operation at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. This time, the doctor there operated on Dad with technique that they had just begun using, and he was able to remove 98% of the tumor. The doctors there were optimistic about Pop's chances, but never in our wildest dreams did we expect that he would survive as long as he has.

At the time Dad underwent surgery, life expectancies for his type of tumor were limited to a few years at best. The doctors at M.D. Anderson are still treating him, and have given him the nickname "Miracle Man." Although his mobility and ability to communicate are limited because of the effects of the radiation therapy (an effect on the brain called Radiation Dementia that was unknown at the time) he is still alive and kicking. For a few years he was able to do pretty much anything he wanted (within limits) and really enjoyed being my pit help at the races, or scouring the local swap meets. Unfortunately, he's gotten weaker over the years and can't get out like he used to.

Although he can't drive and must use a walker or wheelchair to get around, he still likes to get out with me and "help" work on bikes or cars when he's up to it. Sometimes we just go ride around in the country and look for old cars. For a few years we would scour the backwoods of Oklahoma looking for the place where the guy he sold his first car (a Model A coupe with a 283/3 speed) to lived. Those days are few and far between anymore because of his weakness, and we never did find it.

Dad's 65th birthday is coming up on February 12th, and the 10th anniversary of his surgery is the 10th. My mom has put out an email to all her contacts, and sent word to all Dad's friends in the hope that he will get 65 birthday cards by his birthday. Dad really loves it when I bring him car, bike, or 4WD magazines, and I though I'd ask for help making his 65th B-day something extra special. If you want to participate, send him a card, a pic of your hot rod (Model A's especially), or a magazine you're done reading.

His address is:
Frank Bowers
4413 Augusta Circle
Sherman, TX 75092

Thanks to all!

Hey Racer, My 61st birthday is the same day, Feb. 12th. I will send him a pic of my model A and a mag to read. That's great. I just wish I had kids to look after me when I need it. I'm healthy as a horse right now (just went for a yearly checkup today and BP was 117/70) but one day I'll need someone to take care of me. That is great that you and your dad can spend times like that together. Tell him that a fellow Feb. 12ther said happy birthday. Harleyboy

First of all, you are a wonderfully thoughtful, loving Son. That is very evident. Secondly, how great that you guys didn't give up with what the first Doctors said. Most would have thrown in the towel, you didn't and he didn't. Good for you.:):):):)

A package will be in the mail tomorrow. Thanks for posting this.

Don

Hey Racer, My 61st birthday is the same day, Feb. 12th. I will send him a pic of my model A and a mag to read. That's great. I just wish I had kids to look after me when I need it. I'm healthy as a horse right now (just went for a yearly checkup today and BP was 117/70) but one day I'll need someone to take care of me. That is great that you and your dad can spend times like that together. Tell him that a fellow Feb. 12ther said happy birthday. Harleyboy

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Harleyboy!!! Thanks very much, and best wishes for your continued good health. There were times in my life that my Pops and I weren't on the best of terms...we didn't speak for a couple of years when I was in my 20's, but as I grew older I realized that he really wasn't an idiot, and that I was the one who was screwing up my life. In a way, the cancer was a new beginning for both of us, and we have become closer.

Nice thought...

but as I grew older I realized that he really wasn't an idiot, and that I was the one who was screwing up my life. In a way, the cancer was a new beginning for both of us, and we have become closer.

Great idea, glad you and your pop found the connection again.

I remember, sometime in my early 40's, telling my dad: "the older I get, the smarter you get".
That acknowledgement probably meant more to him than anything else I could have said to him.

I will get something in the mail for him. '22

Just got off the phone with my mom, and Pop has gotten a few cards from friends, relatives, and some members of their church. So far the "official" card count is 11. Mom said he was very excited to get the cards and open them, as he never gets mail anymore. She said that he has been talking more, and the cards have reminded him of anecdotes and stories about the senders. I'm not sure when she sent out her email, so I'm hoping he'll make it to 65 cards by his birthday. I told her to expect some car-related cards and goodies in the next few days. I really appreciate you guys (and gals, if there are any) help. I've posted this on a couple of forums, and RRR is the only one that's gotten much reponse. I guess it's because RAT RODDERS RULE!

I just talked to Mom, and Pop has gotten a HUGE kick out of the cards, letters, and magazines he's gotten so far. Mom has been keeping a diary of his responses when he opens them, and I'll share some of them with the boards in a few days. I'm SO grateful to those of you who have taken the time, effort, and gone to the expense of sending something to someone who you have never met that I can never truly express my thanks to all of you. The "official" card count as of this morning is 39. THANK YOU ALL!!!

Quick update before I burn dinner-"official" count is ar 53!!!! Harleyboy's A-Model pic was a big hit. Pop told Mom, "I had one like this. Mine was tall here (pointed to top) and short here (pointed to bottom)." Dad's Model A was channelled, but not chopped. We're amzed by what he has been remembering. THANKS GUYS!!!!

Mom's church handed her a sack with 22 cards yesterday, so the goal has been reached. Thanks and God bless all of you who jumped on board and helped us make Pop's b-day extra special this year. Without the help of great guys like y'all the goal wouldn't have been met.

Latest posts

Back