how to connect to plastic hardline?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Wallbanger

my trany is from a 92 ford ranger and has that stupid plastic hard line with a quick disconnect directly at the tranny and a clip ring hold it to the master cylinder. I'm in the process of building my pedal set up and an the goofy angled bracket on the master cylinder just wont work. so im thinking of switching to a different master and have no clue how to attatch to these lines. Also my friend that owns the shop is having a similar issue. Could I use a 2 sided brass compression fitting with steel line in one end and the plastic in the other. similar to the ones used in plumbing? ill post pictures later of what the endslook like just wonder how you guys handle this.

Attachments

• Comp-Union-same5.gif
    Comp-Union-same5.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 10
I dont think you could ever get it to hold up to the amount of pressure without blowing apart.When I was doing my 46 I looked into flex and universal hoses,may can find something with the proper ends. May have a hydraulic shop make up a hose that would hold up to the pressure.I wound up using the stock one with a a little tweeking.

RUS-694870.jpg

napa

actually napa has a fitting for connecting metal lines to plastic lines they come in a high pressure fuel kit i have a kit in the shop and have repaired many 60-80 psi fuel lines that go from metal to hard platic. they are available in 3/8's, 5/16's and 1/4 inch.

the difference being that one end has a sleeve that fits inside the plastic line to prevent crushing

i will post a pic and part number tonite
george

fitting

heres a pic of one and the part numbers for the diff sizes.

bk 730-5640 is 1/4 inch

bk 730-5641 is 5/16

bk 730-5642 is 3/8

you can bring them up on the napa web sit too.

george

Attachments

• napa bk 730-5642.jpg
    napa bk 730-5642.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1
Why not just get the 5/16" quick connect (I would imagine that's the size) fitting and make a new line rather than trying to work with what's there.

Looks like the same part I posted.

Advanced auto had the brass compression connector and that's where I got the idea. It still has the quick connect in fact I have the whole line a master but I Want to run a different master and the line is made for the factory one only. It's a quick connCt on the tranny with a barb if that gives anyone an idea but it1/8 tops

Latest posts

Back