It's gonna be a rat! 29 A model

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madog

Well, my first post was an introduction. That i had bought an A Model chassis and front suspension with a ton of parts. Motors, trannys, rear ends, some body pieces but was looking for a body. Well with help from 58Sled I've got the body! I'm gassed and have jumped right on it. I am going to post pics of the build and ask for imput from the forum. Oh yeah, i see i've already got parts to sell or trade. Just ask and I'll email u pics

Attachments

• DSCN1088.jpg
    DSCN1088.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN1089.jpg
    DSCN1089.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN1092.jpg
    DSCN1092.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Madog Looks like you have some good parts. and the A BONE already looks great sitting over that chassis. I'm already missing her alittle but amped that she is in good hands. GOOD LUCK

Thanks... I decided to use the wish bones off the 40 ford axle along with the mid 50's ford truck brakes and the bones off the 40 are a little longer and more sturdy. The rest of the lower patch panels should be in this week along with the few front end pieces I've been hunting. Next week I'll have the front end up and moving to the rear suspension.

Here's a question for the forum, Rear suspension set-up. I'm using a S-10 rear end. I do have 2 different buggy springs and 2 old school wishbones. But I want a good ride, able to enjoy the curves here in TN, and be safe when I put my foot in it and trying to stop. One thought was to use one of the aftermarket buggy springs that I have, it will let the rear sit lower and do ladder bars with coils. But desire the forum's imput...Thanks

Very good start there and I like the plan you have for the front suspension. As for buggy spring vs coil overs, I think coil overs have a slightly softer ride to them but not so much that they win hands down. My 27 and my 23 both have Model T and A springs on the back and the ride is very acceptable. You can modify the springs with teflon/plastic buttons from Chassis Engineering that turn them into something akin to Posies Super Sliders. That helps a lot.

One thing I might question on your choice of parts. You mention "old School" rear radius rods. If you are thinking or using early Ford rear torque arms (some call these radius rods) DON'T DO IT. They are simply not designed to function as a radius rod, and MUST be used in conjunction with the stock Ford torque tube driveline to work correctly. I know some people do it, but there are stories on top of stories of these breaking and letting the rear axle come loose.

Good luck with your build and well expect you to post no less than 4 pictures per day until it is done. :D

Don

Thanks Don. No Bones in the back. We're going with a Radius Rod Set-up and either buggy springs or coils and shocks, but not coilovers..Too pricy for me. I have an 86 Parts Firebird that has coils in the back and will most likely put it on the lift this weekend and take a look. I may be able to harvest those puppies and use em'. Chassis Engineering has a coil spring perch/cup kit and I'm looking at that. I did get the cowl off and the cowl panels off. Both doors have the new lower panels in place and will be tack welding them in tomarrow. Front end should be done by sunday except shock mounts. More pics coming...

Hey MD, why not use that whole firebird rear setup, with the 4-link, coils and all? It would ride alot nicer than a radius rod setup....

@#!$

Man I wish we could find those around here! Every now and then we have a Prescott show and a few show up but they just want to much and theres not enough of it to pay that much. Cant wait to see more pics:D

Hey MD, why not use that whole firebird rear setup, with the 4-link, coils and all? It would ride alot nicer than a radius rod setup....
Big Irish. I may just do that. It's all there and FREE......Thanks for the suggestion. I love this forum.

Latest posts

Back